VOOM Installations

Thanks Sean,

Got the remote programmed thanks ..Check this out ....this is my current status not sure that this is a hardware issue or install issue..

S/W V00.05.08
Sat Signal Quality 24
Off Air Signal 19
Sat Signal Power 60
Off Air Signal 23
Auth Stat SWO

Was told by Zoom to put in standby tonight and the s/w would upgrade....If its a hardware issue then it will be 6 days before they come back out to replace my receiver. Ant suggestions would be appreciated. The one channel I wanted was monsters and the display is telling me no signal on that channel..Actually I have a lot of those with no signal...but the few I do get is Great

Thanks Again

The Sat signal Quality = 24 is a no go... This needs to be in 50's for S/W 0.5.08. Whomever install this for you should be shot (just kidding). Two options. I do not believe is your receiver that is bad but your dish need to be repeaked. One option is to have the installer repeak the dish. If he comes after you get your S/W, your satellite quality number should be in the 90's. The other option is for you to do it yourself. If you are willing to go to the roof and move the satellite a little until you get to 50's. You will probably need another person to watch the signal quality and strength. This is why you are not getting the other channels.

Hello all, I just got "Voomed" on Saturday. This site has been most valuable in getting info on Voom -- this site should be made the homepage for all Voom CSR :rolleyes:
The install for me went relatively painless. The install was scheduled for between 8am - 12pm. Guess what, the installer shows up at my house at 8:01am!! First time that's every happened, I was all prepared for a call at 12:01pm with the old line "I'm running late".
1. Cabling - I canceled my D* service recently, so I said use the existing D* cables. I was setup for Tivo, so I had 2 lines coming into the house. The installer was happy about that. In hind sight, I guess I should have had him run another set of lines, but I wasn't crazy about the additional holes in the wall.
2. Dish - I had him leave my old D* up, in case I go back. He placed the Voom dish & OTA close to the D* dish, and pointed them pretty much eastward. I live in S.F., CA - back of my house faces the pacific. The main HD tower is about 6 miles from me to the east, but right across the street from me (east) is a church that blocks my view of the tower.

3. Receiver info --
Current SW Version = v00.05.08
Target SW Version = v00.00.68

Satellite Signal Quality = 40 - 50
Off-Air Signal Quality = 2 - 20
Satellite Signal Power = 66
Off-Air Signal Power = 0
Authorization Stat = n/a

Questions:
1. Is there a way to force the SW upgrade? I've tried both the reboot/factory reset listed on this board.
2. Will the clock be fixed with the SW upgrade, it displays 1 hour behind.
3. I'm getting all the non-OTA channels okay. HD material looks great!!
But I do not get any OTA channels. The error I get is "no signal detected - try again later". I see the OTA channels listed in my program guide. Should I be getting some type of readout on the Off-Air Signal Power? When I called about this problem today, the Voom tech did not even bother to troubleshoot, he just scheduled a service call visit for Friday. I did ask him to request a better OTA antenna. Should I consider requesting another reciver because of the Off-Air Signal Power showing 0??

Thanks,

415Scope said:
Questions:
1. Is there a way to force the SW upgrade? I've tried both the reboot/factory reset listed on this board.
2. Will the clock be fixed with the SW upgrade, it displays 1 hour behind.
3. I'm getting all the non-OTA channels okay. HD material looks great!!
But I do not get any OTA channels. The error I get is "no signal detected - try again later". I see the OTA channels listed in my program guide. Should I be getting some type of readout on the Off-Air Signal Power? When I called about this problem today, the Voom tech did not even bother to troubleshoot, he just scheduled a service call visit for Friday. I did ask him to request a better OTA antenna. Should I consider requesting another reciver because of the Off-Air Signal Power showing 0??

Thanks,

1. Seems like the best you can do is just leave the box in "standby" mode overnight. (Hit the power button to turn it "off") The download may take a few nights before it happens.
2. Yes.
3. Something is not hooked up right. You should be getting something for power. Are you tuned to an OTA channel when you are checking this? What antenna did you get, the stealth? Did they hook up the antenna cable to the correct jack on the back of the STB? It should be all the way on the right when looking at the back of the box. If you are only 6 miles out from the transmitters, you should be getting them no problem. I'm almost 45 miles out here in Chicagoland, and I still get pretty good (watchable) signals with the stealth.

FunkyBoss said:
1. Seems like the best you can do is just leave the box in "standby" mode overnight. (Hit the power button to turn it "off") The download may take a few nights before it happens.
2. Yes.
3. Something is not hooked up right. You should be getting something for power. Are you tuned to an OTA channel when you are checking this? What antenna did you get, the stealth? Did they hook up the antenna cable to the correct jack on the back of the STB? It should be all the way on the right when looking at the back of the box. If you are only 6 miles out from the transmitters, you should be getting them no problem. I'm almost 45 miles out here in Chicagoland, and I still get pretty good (watchable) signals with the stealth.

1. Looks like I'm starting to receive updates. When I checked this morning, my sw version went up to 5.68. So you guys are right, about taking a few days. Maybe I didn't get the updates the first night because I left the receiver on because I couldn't tell if the unit was in "standby" mode. A nice amber light would be helpful.
2. The clock is correct now - matches my timezone.
3. Yes, I was on a OTA channel when checking. I got the 3022 ant. I have 2 separate lines going to my STB. The OTA cable is going through the amp then to the connector all the way to the right of the STB. I checked to make sure the amp was connected & made sure the OTA "card?" was firmly attached to the STB.
My concern here is the Off-air signal power = 0, I'm wondering if this is a sign of a bad OTA "card" or bad STB unit versus line of sight problem with the OTA antenna. I would hate to have 2 service call.

Thanks for your help.

My Voom installation update! I got Voom installed on April 9. But the stealth OTA was useless. It barely picked up two stations and did not pick up one at all. One of them is not even mapped (still struggling with it with Voom). My local installer wanted to install a PR8800. I figured that would fix the problem. However, he called me today and said that installs inc told him to install the Winegard SquareShooter instead. I hope that works. Anybody have any comments on the squareshooter. It looks funny! I don't mind having a big antenna on my roof. It is my own home.

-Siva

My Voom Install

My Voom was Installed on Saturday May 1st. A company called Datcom installed it for me. This was the 10th dish this person has installed so i was really optamistic that the install would go smoothly. It took roughly 2.5 hours from start to finish. As a few of you know I've been really worried about line of sight well included is a picture of where my dish is pointing, it was CLOSE! At around 1:30 the installer calls voom to activate it. within 5 minutes i had tv! I noticed a few things weren't right but i knew I could fix them so i signed off and the installer was on his way. After he left i took the composite cables out and used the component and unplugged the antenna cord out from the tv and went to plug it into the voom box, nowhere to plug it! i'm 99% sure my reciever didn't come with the card. Check the pictures attached to verify for me? I called voom but they can't be there till next monday so no ota for me :( Also checking my antenna it isn't shaped like a "V" but is straight is this a stealth antenna? Now to my thoughts on Voom. It isn't as bad as I thought it would be. ESPNHD has been wierd but most of the other HD channels have been fine. SD channels on the other hand look terrible. The guide isn't that bad. IT seems after the update it got a lot better than in .06 All in all I'm super happy with Voom and i can't see what they have in the future

Attachments

• DSC00002.JPG
    DSC00002.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 136
  • DSC00008.JPG
    DSC00008.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC00007.JPG
    DSC00007.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC00002.JPG
    DSC00002.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 128
415Scope said:
My concern here is the Off-air signal power = 0, I'm wondering if this is a sign of a bad OTA "card" or bad STB unit versus line of sight problem with the OTA antenna. I would hate to have 2 service call.

Thanks for your help.

It could be a directional problem. Is it possible to rotate antenna to see if it improves. If the church is directly in front of you that may send the signal in another direction. Try to rotate antenna.

bommai said:
My Voom installation update! I got Voom installed on April 9. But the stealth OTA was useless. It barely picked up two stations and did not pick up one at all. One of them is not even mapped (still struggling with it with Voom). My local installer wanted to install a PR8800. I figured that would fix the problem. However, he called me today and said that installs inc told him to install the Winegard SquareShooter instead. I hope that works. Anybody have any comments on the squareshooter. It looks funny! I don't mind having a big antenna on my roof. It is my own home.

-Siva

I believe Rang1995 (one of our moderators) got it and it has worked very well for him. Others have reported the same.

quincy said:
After he left i took the composite cables out and used the component and unplugged the antenna cord out from the tv and went to plug it into the voom box, nowhere to plug it! i'm 99% sure my reciever didn't come with the card. Check the pictures attached to verify for me? I called voom but they can't be there till next monday so no ota for me :( Also checking my antenna it isn't shaped like a "V" but is straight is this a stealth antenna?

Yeah, you're missing the OTA RF module (or whatever it is called) on your STB. It plugs into where the plastic cover is.

Also, the antenna isn't the stealth antenna. Not sure which one it is, tho.

-John

quincy said:
My Voom was Installed on Saturday May 1st. A company called Datcom installed it for me. This was the 10th dish this person has installed so i was really optamistic that the install would go smoothly. It took roughly 2.5 hours from start to finish. As a few of you know I've been really worried about line of sight well included is a picture of where my dish is pointing, it was CLOSE! At around 1:30 the installer calls voom to activate it. within 5 minutes i had tv! I noticed a few things weren't right but i knew I could fix them so i signed off and the installer was on his way. After he left i took the composite cables out and used the component and unplugged the antenna cord out from the tv and went to plug it into the voom box, nowhere to plug it! i'm 99% sure my reciever didn't come with the card. Check the pictures attached to verify for me? I called voom but they can't be there till next monday so no ota for me :( Also checking my antenna it isn't shaped like a "V" but is straight is this a stealth antenna? Now to my thoughts on Voom. It isn't as bad as I thought it would be. ESPNHD has been wierd but most of the other HD channels have been fine. SD channels on the other hand look terrible. The guide isn't that bad. IT seems after the update it got a lot better than in .06 All in all I'm super happy with Voom and i can't see what they have in the future

Quincy,

your OTA module was not installed.

Update on my install. So the installer came back out today and replaced with a new receiver and this made no difference with my signal strength. So he walks out on the patio and looks at the dish and goes maybe its hitting that Palm Tree. He then gets an extension and adds like 1 ft height to the dish and boom signal jumps to 86.... So after the numerous calls this weekend to Voom I think I finally have it all working..Going to give this Voom service a try for a week or so and then I will cancel my cable..

Thanks

All the emails that I have gotten so far regarding OTA mapping Issues I have sent to VOOM. I was told today that they have added 30 new channels this morning. So it might hit your stb's in tonights download. I also was told that they are keeping adding channels every day.

Update on OTA manual Scanning: It is close and it has been tested in some DMAs. There are more tests to be done but it looks like we may finally get this and everybody will be able to tune to their OTA channels whether channel was mapped or not.

I say to everybody to hold tight; there is light at the end of the tunnel.

My installation

My installer came on Saturday. He was supposed to be there b/w 8 and 12 am. He showed up at 2:15. He didn't know how to put together my OTA antenna. He then mounted my dish behind my electric pole on my roof, then moved it and left 4 holes in my roof filled with caulk which will eventually dry rot and leak. He left my locals with a signal of around 15. The whole installation which was supposed to begin b/w 8 and 12 took from 2:15 until 7:30 that night. I wish they would get some people who know what they are doing.

Voom install tomorrow

Ok, Pro Start Digital is coming tomorrow. They called to confirm the app. I asked if they had the equipment for my exact install, 2 recievers, sat dish and OTA Ant. He said they have a whole storage room of Voom equipment. He said they keep spares no in case a piece doesn't work they have plenty of spare. Cool! He said they are doing about -10 a day and haven't had any problems getting locals in Columbus yet with the Stealth ant. so I am keeping my fingers crossed. If my wife can't watch the last episode of Friends, i will never hear the end of it. Right now, i don't care if the HD stuff wrks as long as she can get "Friends" :)

Sorry can't keep a straight face :yes
It would be so sad if the OTA's didn't work and the HD did, I had to spend the night watching all HD content. sigh, what to do what to do? :rolleyes:

Good luck. Just to make sure go to www.antennaweb.org and check the distance to your location for locals and the direction and the type of antenna required. The stealth has a range of 45 miles UHF and 30 miles VHF.

yep. Already did. All stations are in the same direction except UPN. I am about 12 miles from all except UPN. I am about 30 miles out. Pro Start says they have not had any problems getting all the locals from my part of town. They installed 5 or so in my neighborhood. Some they used the diplexor, some they couln't. We'll see. We agreed to let them try the Diplexor. If I am not happy, he will pull a second cable.

All UHF except for ABC. When I talked to Installs Inc. They said I may have to have the other Ant. But Pro STart said they haven't seen that problem. We'll see tomorrow.

Thanks for the great forum and information. Voom should pay you guys a finders fee. I would not have even tried Voom had I not found this site looking for HDTV info. :)

We will be projecting positive vibes into Reynoldsburg, Ohio for the installation today. Hope all goes well, and that you and the wife enjoy 'Friends' tomorrow night.

My install is scheduled for today, too (Chapel Hill, NC). When I ordered, they said it was going to be on the 11th - but the install guys called yesterday and scheduled it for today! Talk about getting off on the right foot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts