VOOM Installations

I have been having issues with my receiver so Voom tells me they are going to send someone out and it would be 13 days before someone was available on a Satyurday to do a swap for my receiver. I was willing to wait since I work so much and would not be available any other day. My Saturday am 5-8-04 install is 2 days from now and they send me an email UPDATING my install and telling me it has been changed to Friday 5-14-04. What? I never changed it?!?! They went in and changed it without a call or anything? When I called back today to complain, they told me that they did not know how it happened but that they would set me back up for Saturday. When I looked closer they changed it to Saturday pm rather than am. This may not be a big deal for some but I find it annoying and rude. Here are there emails.

The first install day was:
Scheduled Date: 05/08/2004 - Morning
Account Reference: 75639
Installation Reference: 5057-005

They changed it to the following without asking or calling:
Scheduled Date: 05/14/2004 - Morning

This is where they let me know how lucky I was to get the Sat delivery date again:
Scheduled Date: 05/08/2004 - Afternoon

txcruiser said:
I too would like to see a Voom user respond to this issue since I will be getting Voom in the next few days. If i can't stretch 4:3 pictures to fill my widescreen then I might have to reconsider my installation.
4:3 content is streched to 16:9 only if you set your box in 1080i or 720p mode.

I currently have it set to 1080i but I am still getting the 4:3 picture.

Is the line on the box supposed to stay lit? For example, I have it set to 1080i so should the top line stay lit? Mine does not have any light that stays lit, just curious if this is normal or not.

kabota dragon said:
I currently have it set to 1080i but I am still getting the 4:3 picture.

Is the line on the box supposed to stay lit? For example, I have it set to 1080i so should the top line stay lit? Mine does not have any light that stays lit, just curious if this is normal or not.
It lits every time you press the button, but it doesn't stay on. For example, if you press the button once and the top line lits, it means 1080i mode. Press it again and the 2nd line lits meaning 720p. Similarly, it continues cicling through 1080i -> 720p -> 480p -> 480i.

Ok then mine is set to 1080i but I am still not getting the stretch. Should it still stretch the local channels? That is where I am having issues.

kabota dragon said:
Ok then mine is set to 1080i but I am still not getting the stretch. Should it still stretch the local channels? That is where I am having issues.

The VOOM STB will only strech SD (480i) channels. It's possble that what you're seeing are local HD channels that are transmiting non-streched 4:3 content (in other words the black bars are being transmitted). I have a couple of locals that do that. Even some of the HD premium channels (such as Startz HD and TMCHD) occasionally do that.

Walter L.,

Thanks for helping us understand what will and won't get stretched.

I'm kind of disappointed to hear that my local networks won't be stretched, especially since they are currently stretched today with DISH. I understand it's not really VOOM's issue since they are just providing the OTA antenna but it is too bad it can't be converted. Just one more thing I'll have to try to explain to the family after the installation.

VOOM and Packet8

I need a quick answer guys. I have Voom coming tomorrow. Will Voom work over Packet8? I have had packet 8 for months and I really don't want to switch. A basic phone line with 100 minutes is $40 a month with Verizon... Ouch! I have seen it works with Vonage and the fax line. I have seen people getting Voom and packet8, but I dont see results. Can anyone share their experience?

txcruiser said:
Walter L.,

Thanks for helping us understand what will and won't get stretched.

I'm kind of disappointed to hear that my local networks won't be stretched, especially since they are currently stretched today with DISH. I understand it's not really VOOM's issue since they are just providing the OTA antenna but it is too bad it can't be converted. Just one more thing I'll have to try to explain to the family after the installation.
As a clarification, non-HD locals will be stretched while HD-locals will be displayed as transmitted.

When local HD channels such as ABC, CBS & NBC broadcast local news and other non-HD programs they actually transmit the black you see on each side of the picture. You can not stretch it unless you view it in SD mode. While CBS & NBC stick with a 4:3 format for locals and non-HD programs ABC looks to be at 13:9.

The installer didn't come back out. No big deal. I called Voom and they scheduled me for May 11th to get the upgraded OTA. It rained pretty hard here yesterday. Sat dropped out for about 10 minutes. I still had OTA though. It was'nt perfect but tolerable. Time will tell if the dish is doing ok. From having D* I think the drop out yesterday was about what I would expect from them as well. I don't think I will complain aout that..

I'm vooming today!!

I got Voom installed today and things are good thus far. I have the major OTA channels. I haven't seen any HD content on them yet. I'll check out a few prime time shows tonight to see how it looks. The installer did use the diplexor. I originally wanted dual lines but it seemed like it would be a big hassle to drill new holes in my brand new home. I'm using the existing cable wiring for now and everything looks good. My only problem is that when I put my receiver in 720p the screen gets messed up, the screen splits into several overlapping screens. I have a Samsung DLP set that has a native resolution of 720P so that is why I want to set the receiver at 720. 1080i works fine. I'm wondering if a firmware update will fix this. My current finrmware version is 5.08, I'm asuming that I'll get 5.68 sometime tonight. I have 2 concerns about the remote. 1. I don't have a last button that allows you to revist the previous channel. 2. The channel guide always starts at 100. I would like it to start on the channel that Im currently viewing. I also wish that the guide would say ABC, NBC, FOX instead of showing the stations call letters. It's going to take some time for my girlfriend to figure everything out. I'll probably work on creating custom buttons on my Pronto remote to control the Voom box.

Welcome to Voom! Hope you like as much as I do (even with my reception issues on a few channels).

nupe009 said:
My current finrmware version is 5.08, I'm asuming that I'll get 5.68 sometime tonight. I have 2 concerns about the remote. 1. I don't have a last button that allows you to revist the previous channel. 2. The channel guide always starts at 100. I would like it to start on the channel that Im currently viewing. I also wish that the guide would say ABC, NBC, FOX instead of showing the stations call letters. It's going to take some time for my girlfriend to figure everything out. I'll probably work on creating custom buttons on my Pronto remote to control the Voom box.

Consensus seems to be that it is better to leave the box turned off the night the software update comes through. Mine came around midnite or 1am (eastern time). An orange light will come on while it is getting the update, and if you turn on the tv you will see weird numbers scrolling across the screen. Just leave the box alone while it does its thing and it should be fine. As to the remote:
1. There IS a last button, it just isn't labeled very well. Its the white button labeled "back." It does last channel recall, in addition to menu navigation.
2. The guide coming up on channel 100 is a known problem that people here have complained about. I hope they fix it in the next software upgrade.

Thanks for the tip. Do you know if there is a way to keep some channels from being shown with black bars on the side on a SD TV? One of my TVs is a 30 inch SD set and some local channels appear with sidebars. I don't need the picture to be any smaller on a 30 inch.

nupe009 said:
Thanks for the tip. Do you know if there is a way to keep some channels from being shown with black bars on the side on a SD TV? One of my TVs is a 30 inch SD set and some local channels appear with sidebars. I don't need the picture to be any smaller on a 30 inch.
unfortunately the local affiliates broadcast those black bars on the OTA channels if they are digital. I cant get rid of them on my locals except for one channel and im not sure how they are broadcasting.

nupe,

The original software has problems with 720p on the Samsung. Leave it in 1080i (top bar) until you get the new software. That said, I still find I get the best picture with the Samsung DLP when the VOOM STB is set in 1080i mode; apparently the Samsung does a better job of 1080i->720p conversion than the STB.

Don't forget to configure your favorites, as they can accessed directly from button on the VOOM remote, thereby avoiding the VOOM menu. If you have a universal remote, program the favorites as its guide button.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)