VOOM Installations

hawshaw,

what's your signal satellite quality number from the system settings? Select a satellite channel and then go to the system settings.

No Remote

Don't know. Ain't got no Remote. All I can do is manually change channels and turn on and off.

Thanks

Install today in Western Washington

8:00AM:

Day of install. Called Installs Inc, and talked to Sharika. She called the installer, and said that the installer would be here between 8:00am and Noon. Crossing my fingers!

8:52AM:

Got a call from the installer "Gary". I gave him directions because my house is a little hard to find.

9:15AM:

Installer arrives. He walked all over the roof, but could not find an open area through the trees. He climbed over a fence in my back yard, and he could find a hole in the trees. Problem is that it's not my property. I'll talk to the neighbor and see if he will let me put up a 10' pole on his property.

It looks like at this time, no VOOM for me :( .

The installer went out of his way to try and install the dish for me. I knew that it was going to be difficult to install because of the trees, so I'm not that disappointed. The installer was from the company Digital Strategies LLC located in Tacoma, Wa. (253) 223-2994.

If I'm able to get permission to install a pole on my neighbor's property (it's a horse pasture), then I'll give VOOM another try.

VOOM really needs to get a satellite in a different position in the sky so those of us on the west coast can enjoy HDTV. :yes

How long does it usually take for Wilt to answer back? I emailed him 2 days ago and still no answer.

Anyone?

agi said:
How long does it usually take for Wilt to answer back? I emailed him 2 days ago and still no answer.

Anyone?

ummm.... He is very good at answering emails. Send him another one. Just in case the other one did not make it.

Install done today

Install was started yesterday (15th) and finished today (locals had to be done, locals antenna not up yesterday). Signal strenth on Voom was 56 yesterday but this AM after whatever Voom does it is now up in the 90's. Locals come in so so but will give a chance of rebooting or whatever to see if it changes. Install was OK but would have rather done it myself - think I could have done a better job. Hey; I'm a fuss budget but probably would have fallen off the roof or something. PQ is OK but not spectacular and am disapointed. Will screw around with it later on down the line and will give it a chance. At this point SD channels do not come in as good as DT*or even cables analog ones. I do not like the temp pic freeze when changing channels. When I look at being $500 out from DT* for new HD dish and HD receiver and $10.99 a month for just about nothing in HD programming, Voom isn't a bad buy. Will keep watching the Forums and maybe will learn sonething. Having had DT* for around 5 years I will have to get myself used to Voom and hope they make some good additions to content and not be like DT* promises that are like the weapons of mass destruction issue. Just like the 3 big lies - It's in the mail - I'm not married and I won't ??? My original install on 6/3 was cancelled due to no equiptment and then rescheduled for 6/15.

Welcome to VOOMing. Your PQ should be spectacular.

Make sure you use the "red button" hidden behind the door on the lower right of the STB to sync your TV with the box. When we changed from native to 1080i with our setup the PQ went from fine to spectacular.

Watching HDTV under sunny (yes, we do get some sun) Seattle skies, Gill

Just Got voom

Well, after waiting 2 weeks for the installer, then another few days for a different installer because the one previously chosen by Installs, Inc. was worthless, I finally got Voom setup and installed. Frankly, I love it. I finally figured out the "little red button" was the output resolution. I set it to 1080i but I have a question about that. My Mistubishi 46" shows the current resolution the program is being broadcast at, so if I am watching the 3 HD channels that Cox cable provides, it shows as 480p or 1080i or whatever it is being send as. On the Voom setup, EVERYTHING and I do mean everything even the SD channels, it shows as being at 1080i. Now I'm sure that everything that Voom broadcasts is NOT in 1080i. So what is the deal? My TV automatically tunes to whatever the broadcast is, so if it's at 480p, then that's what the TV shows, or if it's 1080i, or 780p, etc, that's what it produces. Why is everything showing as 1080i? Not that I'm complaining, just trying to understand. I also have Voom setup on a 2nd regular Magnavox 19" TV and I must say that the channel quality is superb compared to cable. Say I watch TNT, regular TNT not the TNT-HD, on cable it's ok, what we have come to expect from cable. Switch to TNT on Voom and BAM!, huge picture difference. Switch to the TNT-HD, even better, even though it's connected to a standard old TV. This is absolutely amazing. I have had one little hiccup in the system Monday, lost signal. Thought it was the rain, but I saw on other forums that other people had an outage about the same time Monday afternoon. But so far rain fade hasn't been an issue nor has clouds. Which I thought that would have been my major problem during installation, turns out it wasn't. Apparently Voom and Motorola made a little switch-a-roo on people getting the latest boxes. Previously it appears they would send everything you needed, except for the DVI cable. Now they send the DVI cables, but don't send REMOTES! Guess you gotta watch those prices somewhere, give the customers what they want, but make them get off their lazy butts to change the channel. Just wrong ;-)

Augurr

P.S.
Not to mention that I got an extra month of free service out of them when I threw a fit because the installer never showed or called or nothing. So I got two months to figure out if I want to keep it. Sweet!

When you set the Voom STB to 1080i it sends everything to your TV at 1080i. Thats why your tv is telling you that. Push the red Button untill all 4 light bars flash that will be native mode, the STB will send everything to your TV as received. SD at 480i HD at 1080i (the Voom exclusive are temporarily at 720p)

Be sure that your TV will accept a 720p signal for if you put it on native and you tune to a station that is in 720p, say ESPN or ABC and your TV does not take a 720p signal, like mine, you will get a blank screen or your TV may convert it to 480p or 1800i. Most TV's accept either a 720p signal or 1080i, not both, although some will convert it others will just give you a blank screen.

UPDATE
It has only been a couple of days since VOOM said they would get back to me on the OVERCHARGES, but I have not heard from them. I was OVERCHARGED and then billed FOUR TIMES for my install. One of them has been removed. Now I am only overcharged and billed three times for my install. PROGRESS !!

I was playing with the resolution button after I got home. This is what I found. On the bottom bar(should those bars stay lit after it switches?) picture is fine, on the next up bar the picture is there but all wavy at the top like a bad VHS tape, on the next bar up the picture is the same as the one below, on the top bar the picture is perfect and reports ALL channels at 1080i, when it lights all 4 bars, the TV tries to compensate apparently, the picture turns to snow then I get a blue screen which typically means no signal. So apparently my TV doesn't do a "native mode". BTW this is all thru a DVI cable, I haven't tried the RGB cable to see what happens.

Augurr

Thanks for the input Augurr. I have been contemplating VOOM for months now and have been conviced for a while. I am going to call tomorrow to order. Cant wait!

Does anyone know what the lead time is for the actual install once VOOM is ordered? I am moving to a new house on July 15th and need to set up install around that time. I assume I should call ASAP?

Any advice on the call to them? I assume signing up is fairly simple?

Bro

bigtex said:
UPDATE
It has only been a couple of days since VOOM said they would get back to me on the OVERCHARGES, but I have not heard from them. I was OVERCHARGED and then billed FOUR TIMES for my install. One of them has been removed. Now I am only overcharged and billed three times for my install. PROGRESS !!

bigtex,

I would send an email to Wilt as well if I were you about it. Just in case.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts