VOOM Installations

SeattleVoomer1

I Pusha the little red button as you suggested & PQ was improved - now to prove I'm a complete no nothinger what is this (native to 1080i thing you stated?). Is this on Vooms setup or on my TVs?? I'm trying not to be impulsive and not screw up the whole system by playing with it too much. Trying to crawl before the tendency to run takes over if you understand. When I get to the menu that states in so many words "watch your A*# changing some of this stuff". Don't need the other 1/2 walking in and say "Shoulda left well enough alone Grumps"

" I would send an email to Wilt as well if I were you about it. Just in case."

SEAN, I expect Wilt has about all he can handle. I will give them another day or two.
If no more progress is made, I will indeed send him a nasty-gram.
Thanks

Installation went very well

Here's how it went. The installer called yesterday (15th of June) around 8:30 P.M and asked if he could install it in the afternoon instead of the morning. He said he could be here between 1:00 and 3:00, I said that was fine. He showed up at 1:01. He installed the dish and he suggested that instead of installing the antenna which would only pick up yellow(I had some violet stations) to call Voom and get the upgraded antenna which I will do tonight. He didn't want to have to drill holes for the yellow antenna and then have to come back and drill new holes for the violet antenna. I said sounds good to me. He took about 90 minutes and I am now getting a 95 signal strength. He was very knowledgeable and friendly. I had one receiver installed and the job went very well. I think his name was Kevin. The company's name was Johnston Communications, a company in Iowa, about an hour from Omaha. Also if you need a DVI-D to HDMI cable, I would suggest ordering it from RAM electronics, online. I got the cable, sent UPS on a Tuesday, shipped on the previous Thursday. The cable works very well.

P.S. This has also been posted in Voom in your area for Nebraska.

New install

I also had mine installed today; took about 4 hrs, guy really had little clue; from installers inc

had problems with ota signals, go some local channels but not others on the same compass points (DC area: go 4 7 9 26,50, but not 5 20) He called later and said i needed a SS-3000 OTA antenna.

Is this good or bad?
:confused:

Brohill said:
Does anyone know what the lead time is for the actual install once VOOM is ordered? I am moving to a new house on July 15th and need to set up install around that time. I assume I should call ASAP?

Any advice on the call to them? I assume signing up is fairly simple?
Bro

Signing up is easy, and installation is subject to availability of installers and equipment. The time can be very different, depending on geographic location. By calling several weeks in advance (as you are planning) the installation can be planned better. A lot of the frustration we see in this forum is from people who call and want their installation ASAP.

Also--check out the "Voom in Your area" forum. The Conn. group is pretty active. You'll find a lot of "bro's" in there, bro.

I've been waiting on my install since 05-17-04. Been cancealed twice and have a new date of 07-07-04. If they call again I will tell them where to put it.

rkr0923 said:
I've been waiting on my install since 05-17-04. Been cancealed twice and have a new date of 07-07-04. If they call again I will tell them where to put it.

That's a LONG TIME to wait. Some people on the forum have recommended e-mailing Wilt Hildenbrand at wilth@optonline.net to see if he can escalate. He's the VP of Engineering, and may be able to get you some better priority. Might be worth a shot.

joeva22191 said:
I also had mine installed today; took about 4 hrs, guy really had little clue; from installers inc

had problems with ota signals, go some local channels but not others on the same compass points (DC area: go 4 7 9 26,50, but not 5 20) He called later and said i needed a SS-3000 OTA antenna.

Is this good or bad?
:confused:

Call VOOM and get an upgraded antenna. This is what he implied.

Ok, so I had the request for bigger dish made as well as the new receiver. The installer could not get good enough signal to even activate the unit. I was told the approval process would take up to 72 hours with the answer being by yesterday. Nobody called so I call them today. Talked to supervisor (still have not gotten a reply from Wilt) and she said this is not even happening couse NOBODY is getting bigger dish. Well, no dish - no service for me whatsoever!

Anyway, I do not know what to do at this point. Nobody knows anything, the installer are waiting for me to call them back having the dish and receiver so they can come and install it, but ... ehhh.

I have basicaly on the edge of giving up and this is not resolved today, I cancel my not even activated account - altough I'm being charged for the service since the 6/12!

agi said:
Ok, so I had the request for bigger dish made as well as the new receiver. The installer could not get good enough signal to even activate the unit. I was told the approval process would take up to 72 hours with the answer being by yesterday. Nobody called so I call them today. Talked to supervisor (still have not gotten a reply from Wilt) and she said this is not even happening couse NOBODY is getting bigger dish. Well, no dish - no service for me whatsoever!

Anyway, I do not know what to do at this point. Nobody knows anything, the installer are waiting for me to call them back having the dish and receiver so they can come and install it, but ... ehhh.

I have basicaly on the edge of giving up and this is not resolved today, I cancel my not even activated account - altough I'm being charged for the service since the 6/12!

Agi where are you located? I wonder why he could not get a signal with an 18". What makes it think that he will get a signal with a bigger dish if did not get it with an 18"? Just wondering the rationale of the installer. I thought that the only way not to get a signal was if you did not have a Line of Sight (LOS).

Well, my LOS is very difficult (I live in the townhouse). The reason I know for sure the bigger dish will give me better signal is that we had checked and put SuperDish my friend had ready to be installed and it worked much much better. Altough we still could not get the IRD activated couse it was defective.

Agi

IMO>>>This is not an issue of need a bigger dish.. you either have signal or you don't. What is "not good enough signal"? What number did he get to? Are there any obstructions in the LOS?
My guess; he has signal, could be obstructions causing low signal and a bigger dish will not improve that. May have a older version receiver that will need it's "refresh-download-hit" to indicate a higher signal count.

So several things are needing to be answered, and honestly you don't know and nor should you be expected to know.

Call VOOM or email Wilt and ask for a different installer with a different set of thinking through the problem.

Hello all Igot my voom installed the other day in about 45 mins with no problem at all....1 thing that did piss me off though is that when it rains (light-moderate) I will lose a signal...which I have come to expect. When I called Voom to ask for a bigger dish they said that they do not have any dishes bigger than what they have now which is 18"...now I have seen several posts in here where people are getting bigger dishes and Voom is telling me no? So what gives are they giving me the runaround? That is what it seems like to me. Overall I am very happy with my service thusfar. But it seems to me even though they do offer the MOST HD channels around...alot of their channels seem like filler stations..like auction,gallery,moov, and that fashion station....I could care less about those channels...but that is just my opinion. Anyways the picture quality is AWESOME and I have mine hooked up through component cables. I know I dont have the best entertainment system in the world but I am quite happy with what I have.

65" Hitachi Ultravision
Sony STR DE 885 Reciever
Sony Center Channel (Kit With 2 Bookshelf Speakers)
Accoustic Research 15" Downward Firing Sub 300watts (I believe)
JVC DVD player (progressive scan)
XBOX (High-Def pack)

That's about it really...I will take a few pics later and post them for you all. 1 thing that I am looking for though is a Good/Descent priced AV switch that has 4 or more component hookups as well as optical audio ports.

sat4me, ok, how do you explain being able to get the signal from 30 to 55 using 24' oval dish (SuperDish) instead of 18"? Also, probably the reason the received could not be activated was because it was faulty, but in any way, I think they will be sending some other company to do the install.

agi said:
sat4me, ok, how do you explain being able to get the signal from 30 to 55 using 24' oval dish (SuperDish) instead of 18"? Also, probably the reason the received could not be activated was because it was faulty, but in any way, I think they will be sending some other company to do the install.
Like I said before, you probably have a LOS issue. Not a total blockage, but of course to see the result from 30 to 55 using a larger dish would obviously create a gain. If you have any signal and go up in size which = gain, you can expect that. However what you need to understand, even with a 24" you should have a booming signal well over 55, so your "test" tells me you have a LOS issue of some type. Of course I can't see what it is, but something is blocking a full signal.
Who determined the receiver was bad? Just because it had low signal doesn't mean it was bad.

They could not activate it. The CSR was hitting the IRD but nothing was happening. It would also give out error "2nd attempt failed".

I just found out some other company will be coming to do the installation with bigger dish and new IRD.

agi said:
They could not activate it. The CSR was hitting the IRD but nothing was happening. It would also give out error "2nd attempt failed".

I just found out some other company will be coming to do the installation with bigger dish and new IRD.
The reason for the "fail" sounds more due to the low/not enough signal to take a hit. The receiver needs a minimum of 65 (old version) and 85 (new version) to be active.

Hopefully the new company coming out will verify your LOS..

You have yet to say if your LOS is clear all the way, no obstructions.. ???

Did the green icon appear on the front of the receiver when connected to the 24" dish?

I'm really wanting to know the outcome on this... I've been 100% on my assessments of LOS issues being the most common and not usually the equipment.. Let us know...

agi said:

I have this same problem and what i had done was hit dish satellite instead of voom they are right there on top of each other very easy to hit the wrong one. . Your recevier will not take hits if on the wrong satellite.

Sean Mota said:
Call VOOM and get an upgraded antenna. This is what he implied.

I did that, but I've seen various discussion about different antennas, is the ss-3000 better than what appeared to be the windgard (or whatever) i've seen in other posts?

Might not matter; later in the day I got the OTA channels I didn't get earlier; and tonite, in the midst of raging thunderstorms across the regions, can't hardly get anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)