VOOM Installations

Sean Mota said:
Are you using the displexer?

No....I had to go back up and run my own cable from OTA to box. For example with E* I always got 90% for CBS, 70 for ABC, 62 for NBC, and only 55 for FOX and I could never get a lock for it. Now with V* I am getting it with a 23strength and 25 quality. All my channels numbers are lower strengths with the V* box.

I do not know what the scale is based on. In the next software there will be an upgrade to the scale similar to what E* uses. I had the similar experience with the V* box. It locks on an OTA channel much better than the E* 6000u. I used to get a lot of dropouts with the 6000u and the V* is much steady.

My install is set for Saturday. I just found this board today -- thhhhks for all the info.

I have no experience with satellite -- coming from Comcast. I'll be sure to tell the installer not to install a diplexer -- are they usually open to this?

Also Sean, I see that you say displexer, while elsewhere I see it as diplexer. I want to sound like I know what I'm talking about (at least a little bit) -- is this pronounced like die pleckser?

rollerfink said:
My install is set for Saturday. I just found this board today -- thhhhks for all the info.

I have no experience with satellite -- coming from Comcast. I'll be sure to tell the installer not to install a diplexer -- are they usually open to this?

Also Sean, I see that you say displexer, while elsewhere I see it as diplexer. I want to sound like I know what I'm talking about (at least a little bit) -- is this pronounced like die pleckser?

Welcome to the board. Sorry for spelling. Yes... The installer will tell you that it does not matter because it will be less work for him to install with diplexer but it will create problem for you. Convince him/her that you want two separate lines. One for the Antenna going to the OTA module and the other one for the satellite. This will give you maximun strength in both antenna and satellite.

Sean Mota said:
Welcome to the board. Sorry for spelling. Yes... The installer will tell you that it does not matter because it will be less work for him to install with diplexer but it will create problem for you. Convince him/her that you want two separate lines. One for the Antenna going to the OTA module and the other one for the satellite. This will give you maximun strength in both antenna and satellite.

Will do, thanks for the info.

If it's going to two receivers do they run two lines (OTA, satellite) and then split them to the 2 STBs?

Can't split the sat lines without a switch, typically for Voom 1 line from each DLNB. OTA is easier.

Tim

Besides the 2 seperate lines for sat and ota, what else should I have on hand for installation?

I have my atennaweb.org hd channel listing with the best degree for best reception.

What else should I have on hand or tell the installer once they hopefully get her in 7-9 hours?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for all of the info

Hey I've been reading the forum for about 2 weeks now and my install is anywhere from now to the next four hours so hopefully by the end of the day I'll have some feedback about the install for you guys. I'm going to tell my installer not to use the diplexer and plug the ota antenna into the OTA module. I'm a little worried that I might not receive the 21 exclusive channels since others seem to be having trouble with them, but I guess we'll see! :) Ok, I got to do some more waiting now, talk to you guys later.
Justin

mestguy182,

Welcome. I was told last night that the problem that took placed on Friday & Saturday has been resolved. So you should not have any problems with that (hopefully).

OK. Here is the scoop.

Installer got here at 8am on the dot which was very good. Was told that they don't do attic work which sucked. They also wanted to charge me an extra $50.00 for running two seperate lines like Sean sugguested. I really couldn't afford it so I'm just having them run the 1 line, which sucks.

The worst part of all they don't have the DVI cable.

I called VOOM about the DVI and was told that they would call me back.

So far I guess it hasnt been that bad. The installer is on the roof now.

Will keep you guys posted.

My install is tomorrow.

When I called ahead I asked about two lines vs. diplexer. He said, "We always run two lines if we can. We only use a diplexer if we have to."

NO VOOM!!

After trying to start download on receiver for about 45 mins the installer and the rep form VOOM came to the conclusion that it was due to the receiver being old. I don't know why they would waste their time on bringing an old one when VOOM sent them a new one.

This explains why the DVI cable was not in the box.

So as of now I have the OTA and SAT up on the roof with all the wires ran and the receiver sitting next to my tv doing nothing.

I have to wait for a new receiver now.

THIS SUCKS!!!!!!

SOMEONE HELP ME!

My installer just called and was supposed to be here Wed the 3rd between 8-12. He said that he had not received the equipment yet and did not expect it till next week. Now the install won’t happen till Fri the 12th. I forgot to ask him about running 2 cables...duh. The installer is called Blue Sky. O-well another week won't kill me. :no

voom ota antenna on the ground, ok?

The guys is coming a few hours to install it at my place, but I can't have the OTA installed on the roof (above the roof line). I am having my dish installed on a pole on the ground next to the foundation. Will an OTA antenna on the ground be sufficient to receive the local channels (I'm between 6-15 miles from all stations)? I have attic in my place where I can put a bigger antenna. Will that work out better? Thanks.

Lou

Lou4Gehrig said:
The guys is coming a few hours to install it at my place, but I can't have the OTA installed on the roof (above the roof line). I am having my dish installed on a pole on the ground next to the foundation. Will an OTA antenna on the ground be sufficient to receive the local channels (I'm between 6-15 miles from all stations)? I have attic in my place where I can put a bigger antenna. Will that work out better? Thanks.

Lou

I have it in the attic and I get perfect reception, I have a Terk55. Just move it around, I tried everywhere and then while putting it down on top of an AC duct so I could move to a differnt area of the attic ......... Beeeeeeeep !!!!!!, perfect reception.

OK. Installer came back after 4 hours with another receiver. He was able to download from the sat on this one. Everything is working now. He told me that he was able to view all of my HD locals with no problem whatsoever.

I believe it when I see it. My wife was home when the installer came back to the house, I was already at work in a bad mood cuz VOOM wasn't working.

My wife said that she doesnt want to go to work tonight. She says she wants to stay home and keep watching Discovery HD =).

No DVI cable yet. VOOM called me on this and stated that they will ship the DVI cable to the installer and that he'll bring it over once he gets it in. Why can't VOOM just send me the cable???

Can't wait to get home to take a look at VOOM!

Finally I have Voom!

I was scheduled for the 8 to 12 install and my installer arrived at 1:15, but at least he had called at 10 to say he'd be there late. Im at work right now and didn't get to see the install all of the way through, so I hope to return home and find everything working, I had to leave my Girlfriend to finish watching the install. My installer said he never puts on the diplixer because "it's a piece of crap" I still havent seen if I have OTA local channels yet, he warned me to wait a week to really see if they come in good? Im not sure why that is, I checked the site and the locals are mapped so again I'm just being very helpful. Quick question, when pressing the ornge button on the front to change the native resolution, what is the order it cycles in. My TV can't display 720p so when the receiver turned on, my screen was cut in half and fluxuating,the installer went red and said he didn't know what was going on, because Ive read this forum I pressed the button on the front and bingo! Thanks for all of the info guys, Ill be posting about the whole thing tonight or tomorrow. :)
Justin

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)