VOOM Installations

Justin,

make sure to select 1080i with the red button. Press the red button until the top light lits. When all the lights lit at the same time, the receiver is outputting the native resolution of the feed which means that if anything is sent at 720 (like abc) your TV will not be able to understand it.

Thanks

Thanks Sean, that did the trick, some of my standard defenition channels (mtv, tbs, etc.) don't come in all that great, my signal is 45 for the dish. MY local mapping is way off I think, I have the WB on two different channels and dont get fox and UPN, and a few other locals. Can you let me know what I could do to fix this, thanks.
Justin

Voom Install (Monday, March 1 2004)

It went ok, but it was rather lengthy. The guy admintted he was still learning the Voom installation.

Basically, the hardest thing was getting a good signal. I think the receiver was reporting back false numbers in the signal strength. Sometimes it would drop way down to 14. But, after a reboot of the box (no modifications to the dish), the signal wen back up to 50.

He told me that standard signals for Voom were running from 40 to 60, and that he has never seen it higher than 60. Not sure if this is true or not.

At any rate, most of my channels work good (including OTA). The only exceptions are HBO HD and Showtime HD - HBO seems to have digital distortion every once in a while, and 5.1 digital sound will "cut out" briefly, causing my receiver to mute then reaquire the signal. A bit annoying. And Showtime has an audio "lag". Not much, but enough for you to notice, especially when someone is banging a table with their fist - you can really see it then.

Hopefully this is still a work in progress... Besides, according to the letter I got during my installation, it says that HBO, Showtime, and all of the other "variety" packs are going away in 30 days anyway, so it won't be a problem for much longer! (Let's hope not!) :) :)

Charged for Seperate Lines?

I talked to the VOOM installer to give him directions to my house. While on the phone with him, I asked him about running one line from the DISH and one line from the OTA antenna and he said he could, but he wants to charge me for it.

Did anyone else here have to pay for this?

My installer told me the same. A $50.00 charge for a 15-foot wire. I told him just to run one.

How hard is it to run two wires after the fact? Is there a huge reason why someone would want to run two lines?

My VOOM install should begin shortly. The installer is on his way now. I talked to him on the phone and I guess he wants to charge me to run single lines from the DISH and OTA antenna. This I have a huge problem with, since VOOM installs don't seem to be consistent with this request.

There are a lot of trees surrounding my house, so it will be interesting to see how good this installer is. Since he only needs to find one satellite (61.5) I know it can be done.

I'll provide another update once the installation is complete or if he claims there is no LOS.

Bill

WLong said:
My VOOM install should begin shortly. The installer is on his way now. I talked to him on the phone and I guess he wants to charge me to run single lines from the DISH and OTA antenna. This I have a huge problem with, since VOOM installs don't seem to be consistent with this request.

There are a lot of trees surrounding my house, so it will be interesting to see how good this installer is. Since he only needs to find one satellite (61.5) I know it can be done.

I'll provide another update once the installation is complete or if he claims there is no LOS.

Bill

I will call VOOM or Install Inc and confirm that this is true.

Thanks Sean.

The install information clearly states they will run up to 4 lines of 125 feet cable, which is included.

Installation Overview
You have requested an installation for VOOM 1 ROOM INSTALLATION. Your installation will include (specific procedure varies by installation type purchased):

Mount 18-inch or elliptical satellite antenna on an exterior structure of your home, and align to appropriate satellite(s).
Mount any and all digital antenna materials that will facilitate improved VOOM reception.
Route up to four lines of up to 125 feet (per run) of coaxial cable to HD receiver(s) using customer-provided multi-switch.
Ground satellite antenna and cable to local-NEC standards.
Connect HD receiver(s) to existing hard-wired phone jack(s) using supplied wire in DBS boxes.
Program supplied remote(s) to your TV set(s).
Activate customer-selected programming.
Provide instruction to familiarize the customer with the basic use of the system.

Another case of these local installer trying to take advantage of people and not doing their job. I will not pay him and call install inc and report him to install inc. He can't be doing that!

"Route up to four lines of up to 125 feet (per run) of coaxial cable to HD receiver(s) using customer-provided multi-switch."

I'm surprised that the customer must provide the multi-switch. I would think that if you bought a multi-receiver system, VOOM would supply the switch.

What type/brand of switch would it be?

Bob

Now I am really mad. No LOS and I was charged $25 by the installer for a No Sight fee.

Great job there VOOM. :mad: :rolleyes:

rjruby said:
"Route up to four lines of up to 125 feet (per run) of coaxial cable to HD receiver(s) using customer-provided multi-switch."

I'm surprised that the customer must provide the multi-switch. I would think that if you bought a multi-receiver system, VOOM would supply the switch.

What type/brand of switch would it be?

Bob

I called VOOM and the customer does not provide the switch.

WLong said:
Now I am really mad. No LOS and I was charged $25 by the installer for a No Sight fee.

Great job there VOOM. :mad: :rolleyes:

I would call install inc and find out if there is a $25 charge even if there is no LOS. I do not think there is and this guy is really in to getting $$$. You were not told that this was going to be part of the agreement.

Sean Mota said:
I would call install inc and find out if there is a $25 charge even if there is no LOS. I do not think there is and this guy is really in to getting $$$. You were not told that this was going to be part of the agreement.

I called VOOM and they are resolving the $25 issue now.

I think the whole LOS thing was a lie. Afterwards he tried to sell me an OTA Antenna, installed for $149. I don't think he was out to install anything, he even mentioned he had a success ratio of 2/10.

How can I have VOOM send another (credible) installer without charging me. I really feel jipped here. :( He showed me where the VOOM Sat is and there was a lot of open space. He mentioned a 12 degree angle for us here on the west coast, can anyone vouch for this statement? Even with that angle, I don't think he could read a compass well enough to install anything.

This is the WORST Satellite experience I have ever had and I have dealt with all three of the large providers (DISH, VOOM and DirecTV).

-Bill

If you cannot get this resolved, send Wilt an e-mail with the whole installation Fiasco. Get the name of the installer and have him reported. He's a complete idiot that is trying to get advantage of people. Wilt will escalate the whole matter and have you installed without any fees at all.

email to wilth@optonline.net with the following information: your name, address, with zipcode, and phone number.

I was scheduled for this afternoon, but they had to call and cancel due to a truck break-down. Re-scheduled for Thursday morning 3/4.

Regarding line-of-sight, since I have Dish 500 which shoots just over the top of my trees, will I be okay with VOOM also? Do they shoot at the same satellite?

Tim

Sean Mota said:
If you cannot get this resolved, send Wilt an e-mail with the whole installation Fiasco. Get the name of the installer and have him reported. He's a complete idiot that is trying to get advantage of people. Wilt will escalate the whole matter and have you installed without any fees at all.

email to wilth@optonline.net with the following information: your name, address, with zipcode, and phone number.

I have a bunch of guys at work (Microsoft) that were waiting for the outcome of this installl to determine whether or not they would use VOOM.

I'll email Wilt now. I'm on the phone with a VOOM CR. The only thing I know about the installer is that his name was Mike and he works for Crompton Satellite.

HORRIBLE experience!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)