VOOM Installations

patrickpiteo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 2, 2004
Voomin In NY !

I just had my VOOM installed today in NY. It took about 1 1/2 hours. Not too bad. I did have a picture flicker problem ever now but I figured out what it was. The installers had two video (component) cables plugged in where they should not have. These are two extra cables from my 15 pin to component cable. I guess the figured what the heck two extra cables lets plug them in. Is there any faster way to bring up the program guide? Other then that the picture is awesome!

Pat

faithntim

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 27, 2003
Granger, Indiana
Sean Mota said:
Yes.

Take a look at this picture: Here

both of these dishes are pointing to 61.5. The one in the background is the E* and the one in the front is V*. My Dish 500 (pointing to 110 and 119) is at the lower left corner (you can't see in the picture).

Thanks Sean. But I guess I'm still not sure the answer to the original question. If I have a Dish 500 pointing at 110/119 currently on my roof pointing just over the treeline - will the Voom pointing at 61.5 be aiming lower than that? I'm in northern Indiana on the Michigan border.

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
faithntim said:
Thanks Sean. But I guess I'm still not sure the answer to the original question. If I have a Dish 500 pointing at 110/119 currently on my roof pointing just over the treeline - will the Voom pointing at 61.5 be aiming lower than that? I'm in northern Indiana on the Michigan border.

Download the program I posted and calculate the angle of elevation for all satellites. If you have the line sight clear, see what the angle of elevation will be for 61.5 and compare to 110/199.

faithntim

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 27, 2003
Granger, Indiana
Sean Mota said:
Download the program I posted and calculate the angle of elevation for all satellites. If you have the line sight clear, see what the angle of elevation will be for 61.5 and compare to 110/199.

Thanks...here are results, tell me what this means:

Azimuth: 217
Elevation: 36

Azimuth: 227
Elevation: 32

Azimuth: 148

rang1995

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 30, 2003
Bergen co NJ
Sean: on your picture i could swear the dish and Voom are pointing somewhat off each other(not exactly the same place) i wonder if thats my little problem?of only mid 40's signal where dish gave me a much better signal (not counting the scale stuff)

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
faithntim said:
Thanks...here are results, tell me what this means:

Azimuth: 217

Azimuth: 227
Elevation: 32

Azimuth: 148

It looks like your angle of elevation is fine as long as you have clear sight at 61.5...

There are two pictures in this site that describe the angle of elevation and Azimuth.

http://www.orbitsat.com/Support/Point.htm

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
rang1995 said:
Sean: on your picture i could swear the dish and Voom are pointing somewhat off each other(not exactly the same place) i wonder if thats my little problem?of only mid 40's signal where dish gave me a much better signal (not counting the scale stuff)

Which one looks more like yours?

WLong

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Jan 28, 2004
My camera is dead. :(

Anyhow, they are not going to be able to install the equipment today. VOOM did manage to get professionals with the correct equipment to come out and do a site survey today and a possible install on Thursday.

I'll let everyone know what the survey folks say.

stevo714

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 1, 2004
Lancaster
Ordered VOOM Today ????

They had a hard time answering a question I'm sure someone has an answer here. I got a 2 receiver setup. my question is how do they run OTA from the stealthtenna to both receivers? Splitter? Diplexer? They really could not give me an answer other then they do.

By the way the Rep said the orders are pouring in. I decided to Sign-Up even though my New House won't be done until April 19th. I figured they will pull this promo eventually and also the price goes up $10 on April 1st so signing up now guarenteed my lower price for 2004. Install is set for April 30th and the rep kept saying no hidden costs, no strings attached.

One other question is the lease deal the way to go? $20 for 2 receivers a month is $480 year. Didn't they just lower the price on the receivers?

stevo714

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 1, 2004
Lancaster
I think he's saying that they are charging him to run the cable from the antenna to his STB. This better not be the case with them. I was told today they would be intalling the antenna and I would have to assume that includes the cable.

WLong

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Jan 28, 2004
Understood. I was asking how hard it would be to run the cable after the fact -- in his case.

stevo714

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 1, 2004
Lancaster
Not hard, but why are they not including this in the install. The way they talked today when I signed up is that they are going to run 2 OTA cables to both of my receivers from the antenna.

WLong

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Jan 28, 2004
stevo714 said:
Not hard, but why are they not including this in the install. The way they talked today when I signed up is that they are going to run 2 OTA cables to both of my receivers from the antenna.

Yeah those additional charges need to be sent to VOOM and not paid from your pocketbook. If they try to charge you, tell them to take those fee's up with VOOM.

Bill

WLong

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Jan 28, 2004
After my experience today, I'll tell them a few more things. :)

stevo714

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 1, 2004
Lancaster
So did you get charged or did you run it yourself. I'll call Voom while they are there and tell them either this gets run or take it all back.

WLong

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Jan 28, 2004
I got told No Line of Sight, even though I know an experienced DBS installer can install it with no issues. Next install I will tell them to run the two lines and I'll have my VOOM contact on the line when I do so.

Bill

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)