VOOM Installations

Update on (non)installation

:D Update: the owner of the local install outfit came out today (3/6) with another tech and performed a very professional installation. Used two coax feeds rather than the diplexer and overall mount and cable routing was very nice. Only getting 2 of 7 OTA channels, but that was to be expected as the 2 are at 26 miles, the others are 54 miles away. He even offered to come back and mount the OTA antenna about 20 feet higher. 180 turn-around from the fiasco yesterday....happy to be VOOMing!

scheduled for 8-8:30, tech showed up at 10:20. and immediately began telling me what he couldn't do
he could not mount the OTA on the roof due to lack of hardware and instead wanted to stick it on a 4 foot pole in the yard....I'm not joking.....
when I said that wasn't going to happen, it needs to be on the roof, he said he did not want to install the dish today because he doesn't get paid until it is all done and somebody else may be out the second time to do the OTA
he also said he had never done VOOM, didn't have the proper tools to find the satellite, and that no one at his office had done VOOM (contrary to what the office told me)
anyway, I sent him packing, did not want this lame excuse for a worker anywhere near my house or stuff, and called their office....they promised to get back to me within 30 minutes with a solution....not real happy I have missed work for this!
update: owner will be out tomorrow to do the installation.....from friends who have had him fix botched D* installations I understand he's pretty good....may be a VOOMer yet.....

Going to Try VOOM

Can't lose with the deal they have going right now. THEN I can A/B the pic with my existing DISH HD. As you know the DISH HD pic seems to be getting softer. I'll know for sure soon, whether it's DISH or my set.

faithntim said:
My installer said not to "power down" at night but to keep the unit in "standby" so that it could do it's downloads. He said, "If the green icon light is on, it is in standby." I can't find anything that says how to put it into standby mode.

Anyone know?

Just hit power on remote or front button. The unit never is powered off unless you pull the cord.

you guys are right, with this new deal you honestly can't lose! Once you see all the HD content, I'm sure you guys will be happy! Welcome aboard! :D

Oh, one more thing... do yourselves a favor and read those threads about contacting your installer! Very important stuff there guys! I've learned a lot from the many helpful folks here in this group, especially Sean! He is a wise man!

SSN671 said:
scheduled for 8-8:30, tech showed up at 10:20. and immediately began telling me what he couldn't do
he could not mount the OTA on the roof due to lack of hardware and instead wanted to stick it on a 4 foot pole in the yard....I'm not joking.....
when I said that wasn't going to happen, it needs to be on the roof, he said he did not want to install the dish today because he doesn't get paid until it is all done and somebody else may be out the second time to do the OTA
he also said he had never done VOOM, didn't have the proper tools to find the satellite, and that no one at his office had done VOOM (contrary to what the office told me)
anyway, I sent him packing, did not want this lame excuse for a worker anywhere near my house or stuff, and called their office....they promised to get back to me within 30 minutes with a solution....not real happy I have missed work for this!
update: owner will be out tomorrow to do the installation.....from friends who have had him fix botched D* installations I understand he's pretty good....may be a VOOMer yet.....

Send "Joe Harkins" <jharkins@installs.com> an email explaining what's happening, you can also call call him at the number stated in the first page of this thread.

After sitting on the fence since October, I decided to jump in also. I couldn't refuse their latest offer. I'm normally the first kid on the block with the newest toys but after playing with VOOM at Sears on opening day, I was not impressed. Thanks to all the early adopters for their patience in being a beta tester. I'm scheduled for next Saturday the 13th.

Dana in St. Petersburg, Florida

Emerald Coast Broadband is my installer? My install is Monday!

Hello everyone.

I just got my email a couple days ago from Installs.com stating that my installation would be handled by:

Company: Emerald Coast Broadband Communications
Phone Number: (800) 995-5670
E-mail Address: ECBSINC1@AOL.COM

Any specific information on this contractor and what I should be ready to do besides wait and hope that they have everything to do their job. I do live just out of city limits on a 10 acre plot with lots of large live oaks in the front of the property but my rooftop should enable them to get a relatively clear shot. Can someone tell me some other concerns or issues to be aware of. I don't think that some pole in my yard is practical nor wanted. Anyone tell me what direction / degree that the Voom satellite requires? I live in Hammond, Louisiana - zip code 70403.

Is everyone running DVI to their HDTV? I have RCA Scenium 61" set. BTW, what is the model of the Motorola box --- I was told DSR550 from the CSR at Voom.

Well, I will keep everyone posted with regard to the installation and setup of my new Voom system. Great site and glad to be here.

Regards,
Andy

I default to 1080i all the time unless I am watching ESPN-HD content, then I put it on 720p. (No antenna for OTA yet.... will install a monster on teh roof this summer)

K4LK said:
After sitting on the fence since October, I decided to jump in also. I couldn't refuse their latest offer. I'm normally the first kid on the block with the newest toys but after playing with VOOM at Sears on opening day, I was not impressed. Thanks to all the early adopters for their patience in being a beta tester. I'm scheduled for next Saturday the 13th.

Dana in St. Petersburg, Florida

Welcome to the VOOM party and you're welcome.

Jsut spoke with Adant (my istaller) they are comning on staurday. They are telling me that if they have to use a 40ft ladder to get to my roof then i will have to pay and extra 40 buck?!?!?! anyone know anything about this? i think its a load of bull.....

Seanb61 said:
Jsut spoke with Adant (my istaller) they are comning on staurday. They are telling me that if they have to use a 40ft ladder to get to my roof then i will have to pay and extra 40 buck?!?!?! anyone know anything about this? i think its a load of bull.....

Sean that one is true...

Dear Sean Mota,
Thank you for your recent VOOM purchase. You're one step closer to life in high definition! Here are some details and suggestions to help you prepare for VOOM installation.

Contact Information For Your Installer
Your local installer will be contacting you to confirm your installation appointment. If you need to reach them, here is their contact information:

Company: Installs Inc
Phone Number: (888) 987-3474
E-mail Address: DISPATCH@INSTALLS.COM

Getting Ready For Installation
Keep in mind that the installer will need to go in and out of your house to check the VOOM equipment setup and ensure the best possible performance of your exciting new system. Please clear a path to your TV set(s) and disconnect all wiring to ensure easy access and quicker setup time.

Installation Overview
You have requested an installation for VOOM 2 ROOM INSTALLATION. Your installation will include (specific procedure varies by installation type purchased):

Mount 18-inch or elliptical satellite antenna on an exterior structure of your home, and align to appropriate satellite(s).
Mount any and all digital antenna materials that will facilitate improved VOOM reception.
Route up to four lines of up to 125 feet (per run) of coaxial cable to HD receiver(s) using customer-provided multi-switch.
Ground satellite antenna and cable to local/NEC standards.
Connect HD receiver(s) to existing hard-wired phone jack(s) using supplied wire in DBS boxes.
Program supplied remote(s) to your TV set(s).
Activate customer-selected programming.
Provide instruction to familiarize the customer with the basic use of the system.

Additional Services
If you request the installer to perform additional work beyond what is included in the scope of work, the technician will provide a quote for the requested work prior to beginning the installation. Some examples of work resulting in additional charges include:

Wall-fishing to conceal cables in your walls (pricing varies based on access to wall(s) to be fished)
Pole mount, non-penetrating roof mount (pricing varies based on type of mount necessary)
Cable burial (pricing varies based on length and type of burial)
Installations requiring a 40-foot ladder (pricing based on local rental rate)

Any additional work you request or require will be determined by your technician and approved by you before the work begins. You will pay your technician directly for any additional services. This will be part of the confirmation call.

Thanks Again!
Thanks again for choosing VOOM! If you have any questions or concerns with regards to your order, please call 800-GET- VOOM.

I called Voom CSR this morning for information on their packages and installing.
The guy specifically told me that I would get a "diplexar".
Obviuously after reading all the info here I DON"T WANT A DIPLEXAR...
I haven't ordered the service or install yet, so what do you recommend I do.
I read that I have the right to get 2 lines so should I tell them that when I order or wait to talk to the installer ?

TIA

ok....The upside is that he told me they will bring it but if they don't need it then i will not be charged.

Sean Mota said:
Sean that one is true...

Dear Sean Mota,
Thank you for your recent VOOM purchase. You're one step closer to life in high definition! Here are some details and suggestions to help you prepare for VOOM installation.

Contact Information For Your Installer
Your local installer will be contacting you to confirm your installation appointment. If you need to reach them, here is their contact information:

Company: Installs Inc
Phone Number: (888) 987-3474
E-mail Address: DISPATCH@INSTALLS.COM

Getting Ready For Installation
Keep in mind that the installer will need to go in and out of your house to check the VOOM equipment setup and ensure the best possible performance of your exciting new system. Please clear a path to your TV set(s) and disconnect all wiring to ensure easy access and quicker setup time.

Installation Overview
You have requested an installation for VOOM 2 ROOM INSTALLATION. Your installation will include (specific procedure varies by installation type purchased):

Mount 18-inch or elliptical satellite antenna on an exterior structure of your home, and align to appropriate satellite(s).
Mount any and all digital antenna materials that will facilitate improved VOOM reception.
Route up to four lines of up to 125 feet (per run) of coaxial cable to HD receiver(s) using customer-provided multi-switch.
Ground satellite antenna and cable to local/NEC standards.
Connect HD receiver(s) to existing hard-wired phone jack(s) using supplied wire in DBS boxes.
Program supplied remote(s) to your TV set(s).
Activate customer-selected programming.
Provide instruction to familiarize the customer with the basic use of the system.

Additional Services
If you request the installer to perform additional work beyond what is included in the scope of work, the technician will provide a quote for the requested work prior to beginning the installation. Some examples of work resulting in additional charges include:

Wall-fishing to conceal cables in your walls (pricing varies based on access to wall(s) to be fished)
Pole mount, non-penetrating roof mount (pricing varies based on type of mount necessary)
Cable burial (pricing varies based on length and type of burial)
Installations requiring a 40-foot ladder (pricing based on local rental rate)

Any additional work you request or require will be determined by your technician and approved by you before the work begins. You will pay your technician directly for any additional services. This will be part of the confirmation call.

Thanks Again!
Thanks again for choosing VOOM! If you have any questions or concerns with regards to your order, please call 800-GET- VOOM.

When you talk to the installer.

truqui said:
I called Voom CSR this morning for information on their packages and installing.
The guy specifically told me that I would get a "diplexar".
Obviuously after reading all the info here I DON"T WANT A DIPLEXAR...
I haven't ordered the service or install yet, so what do you recommend I do.
I read that I have the right to get 2 lines so should I tell them that when I order or wait to talk to the installer ?

TIA

Should I call me installer before hand and tell him I don't want a diplexar? Or should I just wait untill the installer comes out?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)