VOOM Installations

thats what i was thinking.

Yeah I kinda figured the performance was due to the low signal quality, but then again the box isn't like a piece of art so we'll have to see. The funny thing was by the time the installer got here it was sunny and nice outside...so i guess thats not a real valid excuse. but everything is cool. I'll just throw a tennis ball at the dish until the installer gets here again.
thanks for the reply!

bubble,

Next time, make sure they get you at least a signal of 50. Between now and the next install date, you might want to check the Internet to find the direction that the off-air antenna is supposed to point from your location, so as to help the installer get the best possible reception on your locals.

As far as the box, it is rough around the edges, to put it mildly. A significant software update (delivered via satellite) is expected in about 10 days, and hopefully it will address many of the issues we are having.

bubblepoppunk said:
wierd thing is, local channels go out when signal is dropped by satellite. oh well, i'll live with directv for now.

That's normal. The box will not tune locals unless there is a satellite signal present.

Stick around... My install is due to begin shortly

Well it's 10:35AM CST and my install is scheduled to begin sometime after 12:00PM.

I will keep everyone posted on the results! :D

Bill

Installer Just Called!

Just got a call from the installer at 11AM and he is on his way back to his office to pick up my equipment, including the BIG OTA antenna so I can get all my locals :yes

He should be here within the next 90 min.

I will keep you posted!

Bill

Actually OTA channels will continue to work without the satellite signal, but only until you unplug or reboot your STB.

Install inc. email

Signed up for Voom on 3-11-04. The very nice CSR told me my install would be on 3-16-04. Today I got an email from Installs INC telling me to call the local installer (105 miles away). This is all ok and I will call later. I prefer to set it up over the phone anyhow.

My question is, in the Installs INC email it says:

"Your installation will include.....

route up to four lines of up to 125 feet per run of coaxial cable to HD receiver using CUSTOMER PROVIDED MULTI SWITCH.

what does that mean?????????

talked to the intaller

Just talked to the install sub contractor. Comes out of a Radio Shack and has done about 300 other satellite installs. This is be his first VOOM.

He is under the impression that the equipment will be shipped to me. I thought it would go to him. The originally sceduled time for install was tomorrow, but we have resceduled for next week which makes sense since neither the installer or I have the equipment in hand.

Talked at length about over the air. He doubts that the supplied antenna will work. Other posters have reported their nstaller put in a larger bigger taller etc. mast or antenna. My installer knew nothing about it, but said he would call INSTALLS INC.

Got a week to figure this out.

Trouthead said:
Signed up for Voom on 3-11-04. The very nice CSR told me my install would be on 3-16-04. Today I got an email from Installs INC telling me to call the local installer (105 miles away). This is all ok and I will call later. I prefer to set it up over the phone anyhow.

My question is, in the Installs INC email it says:

"Your installation will include.....

route up to four lines of up to 125 feet per run of coaxial cable to HD receiver using CUSTOMER PROVIDED MULTI SWITCH.

what does that mean?????????

Local installer can install up to 4 coax lines. If you are getting more than two receivers, you need to buy a Multi Switch. The Multi Switch will allow more than two satellite outputs.

madpoet said:
I'd rather have these problems with 30+ HD channels than with 5 :).
Agree 100%. It's all about HD! All the start-up problems are a relatively small price to pay for the enjoyment we get...

Well finally I'm Vooming!!!

Here's a chronological report:

First: Never had anyone except Joe Harkins on Friday whom kindly told me not to worry...someone from Pro Sat will be out on Monday between 8-12N

Today
9:30 No calls..nada! I place a call to Pro Sat. My install is not in their system...What??? They will call me.
9:45 I get a call from an installer who says he is on his way and needs directions. He is not from Pro Sat but does have my equipment. He's coming down from West Palm Beach (1 hour away from where I live). Relief but it's now almost 10 am.
11:35 He's here with all he needs...explains everything, walks through area and starts to work. I ask him if he has installed these before and he answers .."sure".
12:15 Dish is up, box is connected. He has good signal in his portable gismo. Nothing on the screen. Now he tells me he never installed Voom before. He thought it was D* HD...Oh my...
12:30Nothing on the screen. He calls his office and they direct him to point SE not SW like D*. He gets better strength on his gismo but nothing on the TV.
12:50 I suggest a reset...OK! Couple of seconds later...VOOM. No picture yet though. Just the menus. He goes into the setup. Signal strength only 35-36. He calls Voom to activate and asks what is the recommended strength. They tell him over 30 is good. He goes out plays with the dish and Voom 50-51 signal strength. Now we get a picture...he was in awe and I was ecstatic!!! Wow!!!
1:10 Ok let me install the OTA antenna he says and is off.
1:35 He comes back in...we check the guide and Voom...all my locals are there but 4 of them have no signal. (9 out of 13 available...seems OK, right) Again Wow what a picture even the SD channels.
1:50 I sign and he's gone...and I'm left with an amazing PQ of almost all the channels. Obviously the HD's are better but the little I saw of the rest looked very, very good.

Tonight I will play with it because I had to go to my office, at least to show up!

To the experts...I do have questions:
1. The four locals I don't have are on the guide, so that means they are mapped, right? Is there a way to get them or maybe they will show up later?

2. I have the Voom box connected via DVI my TV but it is coming through as 480i shouldn't it be 1080i?

Thanks in advance and I'm glad to be an official Voomer!!!

truqui said:
I do have questions:
1. The four locals I don't have are on the guide, so that means they are mapped, right? Is there a way to get them or maybe they will show up later?

2. I have the Voom box connected via DVI my TV but it is coming through as 480i shouldn't it be 1080i?

Thanks in advance and I'm glad to be an official Voomer!!!

If the channels show in the guide they are mapped. Your antenna may be the limiting factor, so you may have to fine tune it.

Lower right corner of the V* box has a panel door. Open it and press the red button till the top bar on the right side flashes. This equals 1080i. Next one down is 720p, 480p then 480i. All flashing is auto select.

Bill

Install NOT going well

Well the installer seemed to know what he was doing until it came time to adjust the dish.

My signal strength max that we have gotten is 12% so I dont know and he doesnt know what the problem is.

Will keep everyone posted.

Bill

Did he point the dish in the right direction at all? Do you know the approximate azimuth to the Rainbow satellite? I am asking this, because my installer was initially looking in a completely wrong direction!

was this before a download (initialization)(sic) the signal at first is about 13-18 then after download it should go up to your strength

Newer boxes are supposed to have software pre-loaded, but even if this is an older box, 12% is too low for a download to occur. I don't think it is pointing to the satellite...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)