VOOM Installations

Sean Mota said:
That is correct. If you are leasing the box, the installation fee will be $199 if it was no done with the installation of the first box. I know what you mean about the work being less but that's the way it is. So it is better to add all the boxes you need in the beginning because the installation will be free.
So, I initially got one receiver for $0 installation fee + $9.95 monthly lease fee. Does that mean that if I want a second receiver, I will have a $199 installation fee + $9.95 monthly lease fee (first receiver) + $9.95 montly lease fee (for second receiver) + $5.00 monthly additional receiver fee?

Gr8Reb8 said:
So, I initially got one receiver for $0 installation fee + $9.95 monthly lease fee. Does that mean that if I want a second receiver, I will have a $199 installation fee + $9.95 monthly lease fee (first receiver) + $9.95 montly lease fee (for second receiver) + $5.00 monthly additional receiver fee?
Yes, that's what they're telling me. I wish I had known that, I would have gotten the second one installed for free with the first one!

OTA Success

New install just Wednesday night (9:30 PM) with NO Locals. Installer had driven 136 miles one-way to my Home arriving about 5:30 PM! Installed VOOM and STEALTH on my line with diplexor and no amp. Asked for two lines but called his Boss in Chicago (Adant Wireless) and was told to use ONE line and that problems had been worked out with this new receiver. They promised to return with a larger antenna and install a second line if this did not work. When installer left only had the 0-4, 0-8 and 10 as others have reported. Did everything I could think of like un-pluging, turning off and back on, and doing the modem TEST. Was going to call VOOM today (Friday) and see what they would do when I got brave and performed the "Factory Reset" using the "988" menu. Since I already have the DirecTV (Pegasus) Total Choice Premier with Locals and their HD Package installed and working on Home Theater and 243 Hr TiVO, I thought what the hell it can't do more than crash and still have no locals. Surprise, Surprise! This reset brought up 16 Off-Air Channels with only three with no signals, all north of my location, and the 16 South. Must have up-dated mapping since print-out only showed 14 available. Had read some posts that doing this FR on new boxes could cause problems. Now have 130 Satellite Channels and 16 OTA for the $39 package. Happy with results and the re-set and VOOM. My point.. do the "Factory Reset" if problem with OTA Locals, new boxes, too!

Rick
Noblesville, IN

rickaren,

welcome and glad that it worked for you (FR). FR will work if all conditions (mainly mapping) are met. There is no other way to bring up locals without a FR. Hopefully, the new software will bring an easier way to bring locals without FR (without the manual scanning). Again, enjoy it as most of us are and welcome to the club.

Thanks Sean:

You mean I had to do this Factory Re-Set myself, to get Locals? Where is all this info if not found here? Installer thought they would show up by themselves, I guess. Are new users just suppose to call VOOM to answer and correct all problems? I hooked up VOOM to home theater today after resolving Local Issue. First ran HDTV Component Video cables to second HD inputs on TV and could not get a picture (my A/V receiver has only two component inputs and are already taken) and couldn't get any video. Then I removed my DirecTV HD inputs from the receiver and used those. Still no video! I looked at all the menus on the new VOOM receiver to see how to set up and use the HD output, and could'nt find any. THEN I remembered someone posting using the "red button" and then the HD feeds worked to the HD cables and TV. Did I miss something? Didn't see anything about that front receiver "Red Button" in the manual. If I had called VOOM would they have known what to tell me to do? Happy now but gee VOOM give us a manual with some REAL info. Thanks Again all that have posted that made my decision to go Voooming!

Rick
Noblesville, IN

My Home Theater

Toshiba 65H80 Projection
ONKYO TX-DS898 AV Receiver
DirecTV/Pegasus
VOOM HD Satellite Service
Hughes E-86 DirecTV HD Receiver
243 Hour Philips DSR 7000 DirecTivo by Weakness
35 Hour Hughes HDVR2 TiVo
(past UTV & Dishplayer owner)
JVC XV-S60BK Video Player
Energy Take 5.2 Speaker System plus 2 (7 total)
APC Model BE500V Back-up Power UPS

Sean Mota said:
Welcome. The 61.5 E* may or may not be used by the installer. It all depends on the installer. If you have a free LNB and if it is a dual LNB, it maybe used only if it the coax for VOOM goes from free LNB to receiver (no E* multiswitch). Ask the installer, as some are willing to do it while others are not.

Thanks Sean. Unfortantely, it's a single LNB and running to a multi-switch. Oh well, that's fine. Can't wait til Tue none the less!

Installation from HELL! HELP!

My installer put it all in .....we've been on hold with VOOM for an hour now....still on hold now :mad: .........do they even work on Sat? we can't activate the boxes.....can anyone help maybe with a different phone number??

It sure doesn't help your situation, but it just may be that they are getting a lot of installs going on today.

Give your installer a beer as an incentive to stick with it. :)

Bill

no excuses..but at least know that i was on hold talking to 1 800 get voom for the fist time this week.must be picking up big time..do you have an extra line you can call on 2 phones..not much you can do

Thats waht I did, I first ordered 1 receiver but then found out I could get the second with free install. The installer is here right now doing the install. He is running 4 cables with no questions asked. I will let everyone know how it goes, so far so good.

:yes Install done and everything works great. I am now an official VOOMER. Tech was a real
professional and did a great job running the cables. Now to enjoy all the HD one can handle.

What kind of cables do they run in the house for Voom, can you use your existing cable lines?

OTA upgrade? Not yet.

Today , the installers arrived right on time to install my new upgrade to the stealth ant. Ah...only....they didnt have the upgrade Ant. Actually it wasnt the installers fault , they were told that I didnt have a signal. They thought they were coming to repoint the dish. Anyway they remounted the Stealth to the topmost point of the house...and repointed it. Before they came I had dropouts on abc....but now I lost fox and upn. When they left I called VOOM and told them the deal....and they are sending out another installer...not he same one I had today ...but the same company from the first time. This time they will have an upgrade ant ...and they are coming out wed, so the turnaround time isnt bad. We will see.

VOOM install went great! But....

The Voom Installation went perfectly. It took 1.5 hours, and 20 minutes of that was the installer on hold with Voom for activation. Installer was B&G Satellite.

OTA channels all work fine and the Sattelite content has worked pefectly.

My only complaints are the controls for setting the resolution output (secret red button) is not on the remote. And the Voom Receiver stretching controls are not remote controlled either. Though they are so limited I wouldn't use them anyway. What is the point of SD programming if you can't stretch it properly for your TV???

So, I tried using the s-video output to a seperate TV input for viewing SD content so I can use the TV's Stretches.... anyone know what the native output (480i, 480p?) of the S-video out on the Voom Reciever is? because I can't get anything but tri colored trach on the s-video output no matter what resolution I put the reciever in.

Jim Nadeau

Sony 51" RPHDTV
PHILLIPS DVDR 72
VOOM reciever (Motorola)
Dish Network (811 - 508 DVR - 510 DVR)

NOHDjunkie said:
And the Voom Receiver stretching controls are not remote controlled either. Though they are so limited I wouldn't use them anyway. What is the point of SD programming if you can't stretch it properly for your TV???

So, I tried using the s-video output to a seperate TV input for viewing SD content so I can use the TV's Stretches.... anyone know what the native output (480i, 480p?) of the S-video out on the Voom Reciever is? because I can't get anything but tri colored trach on the s-video output no matter what resolution I put the reciever in.

Jim Nadeau

Jim,
if you set the output on the Voom receiver to native (4 red light bars) you can use whatever stretching method your TV set is capable of. That's because the Voom box for SD channels will automatically switch to 480i. It works for me.

Andrzej

Great Installation...!

Just thought everyone should know my Voom install went great. The installer was there early and everything was done in about an hour. I had previously had Dish so no real wiring was needed. The installer wasn't that smart but he had done one install before so he said he learned a lot with the first one. I was surprised that everything worked right off the bat I was worried reading about all the bad Voom installs. The only problem is a couple of Local HD stations have some mapping problems but besides that everything works great. I will give a mini-review in about a week.