VOOM Installations

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Like others here, I too had a successful install. In light of that, I took the liberty of sending Joe Harkins and Wilt Hildebrand a thank you email. Because though they may have some problems to work through, it appears that there are a growing number of experiences that are successful (and downright pleasant!). Amidst these gentlemen's bombardment of complaints I would hope there would be a few compliments from the happy customers out there.

Seems like VOOM could avoid a TON of customer sat/installer confusion issues if upon signing someone up, the just sent a letter or email to both the individual AND Installs, Inc. stating EXACTLY what's included (4 lines, no diplexer, whatever). That way, when some sub-sub-subcontractor shows up, the customer has something in their hand from VOOM that they can pass to the person if any questions come up?

Naaaaaaaaaaaaah. That's WAY too simple. Would never work.

What was I thinkin'? :)

Lob

Lobstah said:
Seems like VOOM could avoid a TON of customer sat/installer confusion issues if upon signing someone up, the just sent a letter or email to both the individual AND Installs, Inc. stating EXACTLY what's included (4 lines, no diplexer, whatever). That way, when some sub-sub-subcontractor shows up, the customer has something in their hand from VOOM that they can pass to the person if any questions come up?

Naaaaaaaaaaaaah. That's WAY too simple. Would never work.

What was I thinkin'? :)

Lob

VOOM sends info like this to installs inc. from there the info gets lost. Some install companies actually read these information emails/letters installs inc. sends them, and some don't. That's where the problem is.

Personally I would not pay for additional lines and I would show her the email you received from Install Inc saying that up to 4 lines are covered in the install.

I would also not sign the acceptance form if the signal quality is not sufficient. I have had VOOM for four weeks and my satellite signal is awful. Last night when I talked to a CSR I asked what the satellite signal quality should be. She said at least 20. I told her to check with her supervisor, that her value would have been too low even before the scale change with the most recent update. She came back saying the supervisor agrees that 20 is the prerequisite. They are very poorly informed.

My signal power is 61 and quality is 76. This is insufficient for decent viewing.

I didn't get the install...here's what happened....

She showed up late with some younger guy in an unmarked truck with two huge german shepherds in the truck and as soon as she walked in she said well its not gonna work on the roof there aren't even leaves on those trees yet. They didn't even get up there and try or anything. And she goes why wouldn't you want the diplexer that's the only way I've ever installed it I don't know who told you it'd effect anything blah blah blah and if you want me to run two separate lines then that'll be 45 bucks each. Then I said where would it have to go and they kept moving back and back and said it would have to go right by the highway in our front yard and that it'd cost 2bucks a foot for them to bury the line etc. So my husband said forget it. She said I wouldn't drive all the way from Columbus for nothing I don't get paid for no install etc. What I want to know is was she even planning to do the install if so what was she gonna do leave her dogs in the truck in the hot sun the whole time. It was a horrible experience. I'm afraid if I try for another install that it'll be the same install company (Prostar Digital) So I guess I won't be vooming =(

Becky Stiles

Did you see her pull out any type of device that she put to her eye to check for declination and inclination? How did she determine the location she felt the dish had to be installed at?

Where are you located? State wise?

stilesr said:
She showed up late with some younger guy in an unmarked truck with two huge german shepherds in the truck and as soon as she walked in she said well its not gonna work on the roof there aren't even leaves on those trees yet. They didn't even get up there and try or anything. And she goes why wouldn't you want the diplexer that's the only way I've ever installed it I don't know who told you it'd effect anything blah blah blah and if you want me to run two separate lines then that'll be 45 bucks each. Then I said where would it have to go and they kept moving back and back and said it would have to go right by the highway in our front yard and that it'd cost 2bucks a foot for them to bury the line etc. So my husband said forget it. She said I wouldn't drive all the way from Columbus for nothing I don't get paid for no install etc. What I want to know is was she even planning to do the install if so what was she gonna do leave her dogs in the truck in the hot sun the whole time. It was a horrible experience. I'm afraid if I try for another install that it'll be the same install company (Prostar Digital) So I guess I won't be vooming =(

Becky Stiles

Becky,

Sorry to hear this non-sense. If you still want to get the installation done, send "Joe Harkins" <jharkins@installs.com> an email explaining what happened and that you would like a different company. He works for Installs Inc and will do the right thing for you. I hate this type of morons installer that try to take advantage of people. Let us know what happens.

Well, I was scheduled for an install today but it was cancelled. Since it is raining elephants and buffalos (as opposed to cats and dogs) here in Florida, I certainly agree and will just have to wait for another day.

Greetings...Has anyone had an installation in the surrounding Albany, NY area??? If so, who were the installers and how did things go???....Thanks

Namgalf said:
Greetings...Has anyone had an installation in the surrounding Albany, NY area??? If so, who were the installers and how did things go???....Thanks

I wouldn't get to worked up on the bad install stories. Cautious yes.

Do your homework and know what a good installer has on hand equipment wise to do the job properly. A guy/gal in a Yugo with the kids in tow and no ladder in sight does not fill the bill.

Don't let the excitment/wanting of an install to happen cloud your good judgement. If you get bad vibes, trust your judgement and send the person away and then demand a competent installer. You'll be much happier in the end even if it means a re-schedule.

Well, I had my install earlier this evening. All went pretty well. Two room install was done in about an hour and fifteen minutes. The installer wanted to use a diplexer, but I asked if he could just run another line. He said that would cost extra since he'd have to run four lines. I just asked if he would leave the antenna so that I could install it myself if I wanted. I have a Silver Sensor in the attic already, so I hooked it up to the downstairs box.

Once he had the dish up and aimed in well we went inside. Almost immediately we had a picture while he was on the phone with Voom. He asked that I check the locals and I had every single one! I had used the Silver Sensor with a couple different OTA receivers and never had all of the channels at the same time.

So far eveything seems great. I've had the box in the main room on for about two hours now and haven't had a single issue. The time is off by an hour, which I knew would happen. The PG came online within about 45 minutes. Sat signal is a steady 53. Running the box in "Native" mode seems to work pretty well. Channel changes are a little slow, but I understand that will improve once I get the new software download.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased so far. I look forward to browsing the new channels over the coming days. Thanks Datalink Communications and Voom!

Mike

Well, lets see, I'm in Albany, and so far I have yet to get my Voom installed. Today was going to be the third attempt but no sign of installer nor no phone call. Either its my bad luck, or he just doesn't seem to concerned to make money, but either way he nor Voom will see any of my cash until the install happens. To give you a timeline, I ordered Voom on March 21, and today April 13th I still don't have Voom. This brings me to a question I have, wouldn't you think Voom would have a database somewhere that if they queryed they could see how many potential revenue sources they could have if their installs would just get completed? Am I stating the obvious, because if it were my company, I would be all over the installers to get my work done so I could start billing.

mtuller said:
Well, lets see, I'm in Albany, and so far I have yet to get my Voom installed. Today was going to be the third attempt but no sign of installer nor no phone call. Either its my bad luck, or he just doesn't seem to concerned to make money, but either way he nor Voom will see any of my cash until the install happens. To give you a timeline, I ordered Voom on March 21, and today April 13th I still don't have Voom. This brings me to a question I have, wouldn't you think Voom would have a database somewhere that if they queryed they could see how many potential revenue sources they could have if their installs would just get completed? Am I stating the obvious, because if it were my company, I would be all over the installers to get my work done so I could start billing.

Sorry to hear this. Did you try to send Joe Harkins an email about this problem? Here's his email: "Joe Harkins" <jharkins@installs.com>. Joe works for Installs Inc and will try to do eveything in his power to get your installation done. BTW, I agree with you about your comments.

I posted this in the S. Florida forum but thought it should go here also - need some good stories as much as we need the bad...

Well, a very happy install today. Somehow we got it in between the tornado-type weather early this morning and the heavy rain we're getting now. After reading for many weeks about the horrible install stories all around the country I consider myself very fortunate. A true gentleman from All Services International in Ft. Lauderale by the name of Hugo (never did get his last name but he says he owns the company) did just an excellent job. Did everything the right way and clearly knew exactly what he was doing every step of the way. Locals are A-OK too with just a Silver Sensor except for the ABC station that is 25 miles in the opposite direction and on the far side of my townhouse (that's a problem I've got to think about for awhile). With all of the problem installs, Hugo deserves a public pat on the back for a job well done.

Pat, pat, pat on the back Hugo... My installer did a good installation job, too. He just complained about having to run two RG-6 cables instead of using the diplexer at my request, and liked to say how much Voom sucked and noone stays with it. (Funny, I am very happy with it and staying with it.) The actual install work he did was good, though.

Good grief! Any installer saying that should NEVER get another VoOM to install, that kind of talk can loose customers, we need everyone we can get to stick with VoOM!

seandudley said:
Pat, pat, pat on the back Hugo... My installer did a good installation job, too. He just complained about having to run two RG-6 cables instead of using the diplexer at my request, and liked to say how much Voom sucked and noone stays with it. (Funny, I am very happy with it and staying with it.) The actual install work he did was good, though.

You get all kinds. Hugo was just the opposite. Thinks Voom is a fantastic idea. He has it at home and loves it. He couldn't have been a better ambassador for Voom.

I think someone is playing a horrible joke on me. So I apparently was mistaken, when I was told the last time by the installer that he would come out the same time as the previous scheduled attempt, which was 7:30am, I just assumed that meant I was going to see him at 7:30am. But he had another pressing installation to do before me, so after waiting until 9:30am and hearing no word, I went to work. Low and behold, I went home for lunch and he had stopped by and left a note saying sorry he didn't call but the customer before did not have a phone and he was unable to get cellular service. Anyway he has so graciously penciled me in for sometime Friday morning, because thats the earliest time he can fit me in. Am I wrong to think that since my original install was set for about a month ago, that he should be bending over back wards to do my install tomorrow? Oh well, I know one thing if Voom fails, they can look back to the money they let go by not making sure their installs happened in a timely manner.

I am a new member and am glad to find this place.

I have had Voom for almost a month now, I am very happy with the install. I did a lot of the work myself as I wanted it to go through my preamp as all my equipment is in a separate room.
I have cable also, but Voom PQ is so much better.

Love all the fitba on FSW and Worldsport.

Come on the bhoys.

Hail! Where are you? I am in St Paul MN. I am looking forward to the big game tomorrow, will you be watching! Where ? All the best! Drop me a line! I am a satellite installer from Glasgow! "For its a grand old team to play for ...."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts