VOOM Installations

trent101 said:
I had some major issues with the install a week ago and posted to this board but after today I am happily vooming along. A different installer was all it took and these guys were great. Helpful, fast, and knowledgeable. They brought the upgraded antenia but it stll was not enough to get local channels. I am going to pay Cox for just the local channels. This is the BEST my TV has ever looked. I have the older Sony 36" XBR tube and I never knew it could look so good.

Trent glad ot hear that everything worked out...

sat.installs said:
I Am A Installer For Voom....if You Have Any Problems With Install In North-west New Jersey...contact Me And There Will Be No Problems At All..

Sat.installs,

Welcome. Keep checking the board and give us your input for this particular area that you do installs. It is great to have you here and helping those in North-west Jersey with their particular problems.

so far not good. My appt is today 12-5 and the guy just called. He did not know he was installing VOOM (could not even pronounce it) and of couse did not have the equipment. I told him to find out and call me back, I bet this will end up being a wasted day. I'll keep you updated.

I just ordered Voom and I thought I'd share my experience. I went ahead and bought OTA antenna (Wineguard) and got ALL my local channels (Chicago). I have Pioneer Elite PRO-1110HD plasma with HDMI inputs, and when I asked Voom if their STB is compatible they said yes, but then I asked if the box has the plug they said "I can't find it, no" !!
She also was confirming my e-mail and asked me is it ...@tomcast ?? I said comcast and she spelled it to make sure, I said Comcast haven't you heard this name before and you are in the same business??! I was surprised but anyway I'll let you know what happens

Vick said:
I just ordered Voom and I thought I'd share my experience. I went ahead and bought OTA antenna (Wineguard) and got ALL my local channels (Chicago). I have Pioneer Elite PRO-1110HD plasma with HDMI inputs, and when I asked Voom if their STB is compatible they said yes, but then I asked if the box has the plug they said "I can't find it, no" !!
She also was confirming my e-mail and asked me is it ...@tomcast ?? I said comcast and she spelled it to make sure, I said Comcast haven't you heard this name before and you are in the same business??! I was surprised but anyway I'll let you know what happens

Vic,

welcome. Unfortunately, you got wrong information about HDMI. The current stb does not have an input for this. However, it does have DVI or component. The DVI is HDCP enabled at this point.

Yes but I was planning to input video AND audio to my media receiver and switch inputs from within the media receiver, this way I get short digital video path and the digital audio will pass throught to the digital aidio out of the media receiver (including Dolby Digital signal).

Vick said:
Yes but I was planning to input video AND audio to my media receiver and switch inputs from within the media receiver, this way I get short digital video path and the digital audio will pass throught to the digital aidio out of the media receiver (including Dolby Digital signal).

That looks fine...but from the stb to your media receiver what are you using, component?

I don't have my STB yet but I'm planning to use DVI to HDMI cable to stay completely digital

Local channels freeze

I just got my installation completed about 2 hours ago...most of my channels are working ,but whenever I'm trying to tune to any channels below 100 ( my local channels) it freezes the receiver. The only way to make it respond to the remote is to rebooth it. Apparently there is some download going on in the background as I don't get program guide yet, just channel numbers.
Is this something that I should be concerned about now, or should I live my receiver turned on for 3 days and then call VOOM if problem presists, as suggested by the installer?
Thank you all for your replies.

Yankov,

you probably have the old software. You will need the new software which usually downloads at 4am in the morning. With the old software that you are currently running there were a lot of freezes. Do not change channel too fast.

Thanks And I Hope We Can Help The Cause !!!

:D thanks for all you hard work that i have seen you been doing for everyone...you are a god sent...any way , i see some posts about installs inc...i have been a contractor for them for about 7 years..IF ANYONE IS HAVING A PROBLEM WITH THERE INSTALL IN NORTHERN NJ THEY CAN CONTACT ME AND I CAN HAVE THE JOB REASIGNED AND THEY WOULD GET A PROFESSIONAL AND COMPLETE INSTALL FROM MY COMPANY, WITH NO MISSED APPIONTMENT TIMES....I'VE BEEN UPGRADING EVERY CUSTOMER WE INSTALL WITH AN 8 BAY ANTENNA, CHANNEL MASTER ROTOR, AND A CHANNEL MASTER TITAN2 AMP....NO GAMES HERE....HD RULES

Sean Mota said:
Yankov,

you probably have the old software. You will need the new software which usually downloads at 4am in the morning. With the old software that you are currently running there were a lot of freezes. Do not change channel too fast.
Thank you Sean Mota!
I called VOOM and they also suggested that I wait until tomorrow before calling them about this.
I was just wondering, if it is possible that installer did not connect power to the OTA antenna correctly and that is what causing the problem with freeze on local channels... :confused:
In any case, I will wait until tomorrow before panicking.
My System Status screen says the following:
Sec. Firmware version: v16
Is that old?

Voom Installer will not install upgraded OTA Antenna Winegard PR8800

I am really upset!!

My installation was done on April 9th. They installed the default stealth antenna and the voom dish. The signal strength on the voom is good. But the stealth antenna does not pick up anything. It used to pick up one channel but even that is gone completely. Wonder if something came lose in the installation.

I called Voom and asked for an upgraded OTA. They scheduled a service call with my installer. I called my installer and explained to him that the Winegard PR8800 is what many people are upgrading to (based on these forums and at avsforum.com). He said ok and ordered that. I did not hear from him for over a week. I called him today and he said that he is not insured to install such antennas and that I have to do it myself.

This seems very unsettling to me. I don't know what my options are. I don't really want to climb and install an antenna myself. I have not climbed on the roof before!

Any suggestions on how I should handle this with Voom/Installer.

-Siva

bommai said:
I am really upset!!

My installation was done on April 9th. They installed the default stealth antenna and the voom dish. The signal strength on the voom is good. But the stealth antenna does not pick up anything. It used to pick up one channel but even that is gone completely. Wonder if something came lose in the installation.

I called Voom and asked for an upgraded OTA. They scheduled a service call with my installer. I called my installer and explained to him that the Winegard PR8800 is what many people are upgrading to (based on these forums and at avsforum.com). He said ok and ordered that. I did not hear from him for over a week. I called him today and he said that he is not insured to install such antennas and that I have to do it myself.

This seems very unsettling to me. I don't know what my options are. I don't really want to climb and install an antenna myself. I have not climbed on the roof before!

Any suggestions on how I should handle this with Voom/Installer.

-Siva

Send an email to "Joe Harkins" <jharkins@installs.com> and explain the situation. I am sure he can get you someone else to do the job. Let us know how it ends up.

FYI this from another website about a DIRECT TV service call..they are all the same
"have just experienced, again, a bad few weeks with DirectTV. I have subscribed with them since they began...6-8 years ago. I have 6 receiver...4 of which are HD, and their platinum service along with a few other services.

Since I have been a user for a long time, I have an older 2 LNB dish with the 3rd LNB added. I have waited for the repair tech for 3 different days all day long. One tech showed up, complained about the connections, cut the wire too short coming out of the wall. He also stripped the cable (like a lamp cord) back so the shielding was exposed...into the wall...and left it.

Another tech was supposed to show up last Saturday from 1-5. He did...at 4:50...with his girlfriend. He said he could not repair all the problems and would have to come back on Monday. He didn't show. He said he would come back Tuesday. After I waited all day...he shows up at 7PM without the necessary wire and dish to do the work!!!

In the interim, I had cable come out to install just one receiver (HD). They had a 2-4 pm timeframe...and were here at 2 pm. They did their work and were gone by 2:30.

The clarity of the digital channels is stunning compared to DirectTV. Their HD is excellent.

After years with DirectTV and after many wasted hours, I am now switching to Time Warner because I am tired of the BS I get with DirectTV...not to mention that it goes out everytime there is a thunderstorm in the area.

Incidentally, I also added Voom. Their HD content is great. They were good with their service calls, and their service so far is good.

I think the best solution, if you can afford it, is to use Voom for HD and TimeWarner for everything else.

Good bye and good luck Direct TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)