VOOM is moving along despite those who said that it was doomed...

rtt2 said:
VOOM outsources all it call ceters to convergys. They have been using them from day 1. The same company DirecTV uses and the same company Comcast uses.
I expect once the beginning set-up and growing pains are finished convergys will transition the centers to the India locations. The cost to move out of the States is from 35-40% savings. Convergys is the best at outsourcing call center.
http://www.convergys.com/

http://www.convergys.com/videoplayer.php?clip=customer_care#player
http://www.convergys.com/contact_center_tour/index.html
http://www.convergys.com/videoplayer.php?clip=offshore#player

sorry to disagree but that was not the company that I was told. I am not in the liberty of releasing the name of the company at this point.

That is the company Chuck Dolan credited on the Rainbow 1 satellite launch video

I don't know why everyone complains about the 10 Cinema channels. Unless you are retired or bed ridden, who could possibly sit down and watch all 10 movies in a single day? Add to that the content OTA, BravoHD and DiscHD and there is not enough time in the day. I never watch a single SD channel anymore. Between OTA, Voom & the Dish HD pack, there is more than I can possibly watch in a day even with the reruns.

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't comment on vooms good parts yet, but i can comment on the down side of dtv.

isn't this thread like arguing apples and oranges? dtv 8 years (?), voom, maybe one? and didn't voom just add TNT hd (ah 3 million episodes of law & order, just what we needed), and fox news? from a cost standpoint I can get the best voom package for so much less as well. so if 1/3 of this post is rendered moot in just 2 months i'm thinking that things are going int the right direction.

on a side note: murdock who acquired dtv is completely UNinterested in HD. his press departement started mumbling some jive mumbo about 3d television when asked about hd, and some other stuff. Frankly, i think dtvs content in the HD department is not going to go anywhere fast.

rexoverbey said:
My new prediction..... HD DVD will overshaddow Voom.

I'll give you that one. Same truth holds for D* and E*. But that scenario is most likely four years down the pike.

Mr. Biggles said:
I'll give you that one. Same truth holds for D* and E*. But that scenario is most likely four years down the pike.

Do you guys mean overshadow in terms of PQ? DVD didn't kill HBO back before there was an HBOHD. I'm not arguing, I'm curious. I would think DVD HD will just replace current DVD technology. I think premium channels will do as fine as they ever had. They're not reliant on a PQ superiority. How will DVD HD hurt television companies? Plus, the cost to aquire true HD transfers of movies will go down. When movies on tv, movies on dvd, and tv on tv are all equal, won't we back to where we were 10 years ago? Seriously, I'm not arguing (we all have to be clear on that nowadays), I just think I'm missing the point maybe.

cyuhnke said:
Do you guys mean overshadow in terms of PQ? DVD didn't kill HBO back before there was an HBOHD. I'm not arguing, I'm curious.

For me it would be more or less the fact that I would actually be purchasing pristine copies of movies before hand that will eventually show up on the premium movie channels. That would probably lead to less HD premiums being subscribed to in my case at least.

Mr. Biggles said:
For me it would be more or less the fact that I would actually be purchasing pristine copies of movies before hand that will eventually show up on the premium movie channels. That would probably lead to less HD premiums being subscribed to in my case at least.

But isn't it more expensive and less convenient than ~50 HD channels and HDDVR?

cyuhnke said:
Do you guys mean overshadow in terms of PQ? DVD didn't kill HBO back before there was an HBOHD. I'm not arguing, I'm curious. I would think DVD HD will just replace current DVD technology. I think premium channels will do as fine as they ever had. They're not reliant on a PQ superiority. How will DVD HD hurt television companies? Plus, the cost to aquire true HD transfers of movies will go down. When movies on tv, movies on dvd, and tv on tv are all equal, won't we back to where we were 10 years ago? Seriously, I'm not arguing (we all have to be clear on that nowadays), I just think I'm missing the point maybe.

When DVDs rolled around, I dropped HBO, as I could see things sooner and better than what they offered. I only recently resubcribed, and for only one reason, HD content. When more programming is available in HD, or when HD-DVDs roll around, I doubt I will keep HBO around.

I admit, I'm probably in the minority, but then again... I'm not the one who made the original statement :)

andrzej said:
But isn't it more expensive and less convenient than ~50 HD channels and HDDVR?

You bring up a good point.

I would prefer to purchase the blockbuster movies and watch them when they are released rather than wait till they reach the premium movie channels. The DVR will be limited in capacity also and the likelyhood of HD-DVD burners following shortly after the players are released is unlikely. Copyright protection is not going to be our friend.

Then we have the compression equation. That won't be an issue with HD-DVD's. That should mean smoother pans, no macro blocking issues, compression artifacts etc. Basically just pristine copies of movies.

Has anyone here even seen HD DVD yet?

IF the quality is that much better than HD Sat or OTA, are our monitors/tvs capable of showing us that difference, or will we be hooking a cheetah up to an ox cart? Or are the monitors/sets that far ahead of the game?

I currently have about 400 DVDs. I'm NOT going to start a new collection at this point, especially when I can get so much I enjoy from Voom. I'm one of those people who enjoys seeing "3 million episodes of Law & Order", especially now that they are in HD on TNT! I'm buying half the number of DVDs I used to, and finding much more I enjoy to watch.

TechCop said:
IF the quality is that much better than HD Sat or OTA, are our monitors/tvs capable of showing us that difference, or will we be hooking a cheetah up to an ox cart? Or are the monitors/sets that far ahead of the game?

Good points. There are no HDDVD's around so we are speculating here but, I don't believe that the PQ will be significantly better. In fact, it cannot be as good as live events with HD video cameras. Yes, plasma monitors will soon have 1080 resolution but I doubt that from a typical viewing distance of 7-10 feet we will be able to see the difference between a 1080 plasma and a current 768 plasmas.

TechCop said:
I currently have about 400 DVDs. I'm NOT going to start a new collection at this point, especially when I can get so much I enjoy from Voom. I'm one of those people who enjoys seeing "3 million episodes of Law & Order", especially now that they are in HD on TNT! I'm buying half the number of DVDs I used to, and finding much more I enjoy to watch.

I believe this to be one of the reasons for slow start of HDDVD. Besides, HDDVD represents a smaller improvement in PQ over DVD than was DVD over VCR. Again, most people have displays that are unable to take advantage of the better resolution provided by HDDVD.

andrzej said:
Good points. There are no HDDVD's around so we are speculating here but, I don't believe that the PQ will be significantly better. In fact, it cannot be as good as live events with HD video cameras. .

Actually HDDVDs have the potential for better quality than live HD camera feeds. This is because the compression does not have to be done in real time and a lot more work can be done improving the compression. This is why DVD pictures look so much better than DBS satellite pictures, both are MPEG-2. They work on a DVD transfer for 6 weeks satellite is done in real time.

mike123abc said:
Actually HDDVDs have the potential for better quality than live HD camera feeds. This is because the compression does not have to be done in real time and a lot more work can be done improving the compression. This is why DVD pictures look so much better than DBS satellite pictures, both are MPEG-2. They work on a DVD transfer for 6 weeks satellite is done in real time.

Oh yea, potential is the key word here. Let's just wait and see... :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)