Voom Pq

neo0285

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2004
just curious what people think. do you guys think VOOM's PQ had gone up. down or stayed the same since you first got VOOM. Im just talking about the pq, putting the stutter problem aside for this poll

who ever voted better really needs their eyes checked! :rolleyes: Look at all the artifacts, stuttering, and pixelation going on that wasn't there a few weeks ago.

At first, I thought that the Wow factor was wearing off but now it seems to be reallity. All of the Voom exclusives seem to have degraded slightly. Granted, it is still better looking then anything else I have, but definitely not as good as it was a couple of weeks ago.

Has got worse last 2 weeks, there SD was as good or better than D* but now when i compare all the SD on V* are worse. HD looks slightly worse also.

It's only been 5 days for me, but in that time I noticed a drop in quality. Colors are slightly washed out, nowhere near as vibrant, and sharpness has gone down a couple of notches. And I won't even talk about the dropped frames and stuttering issues. I sure hope this is not an omen of things to come.

GeneWildershair said:
who ever voted better really needs their eyes checked! :rolleyes: Look at all the artifacts, stuttering, and pixelation going on that wasn't there a few weeks ago.[/QUOTE
BETTER??????? GIVE ME A BREAK-MUST BE AN EMPLOYEE OR INVESTOR IN THE COMPANY-SEE SAID THE BLIND MAN!!!!SEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

I haven't really noticed much difference in the HD stuff.. maybe a little. But DEFINITELY in the SD stuff... that's gotten a LOT worse! Hoping that things will get better with time.

Dave

I Got VOOM 3/16/04 & At That Time I Thought The SD Was The Same As D* & The HD On VOOM Was Better Then D*. The Last Week Or So I Think The PQ On VOOMs HD Has Really Fallen Off. If A sceen Has A Lot Of Movement There Is Noticeable Pixelation.

Now I don't think I'm crazy. I just got VOOM a few days ago, and I had been reading about people thinking the SD PQ was better than D* and E*, which I have both had. Needless to say I was quite disappointed in the SD PQ of VOOM. D* and E* are both better IMO. Hopefully it will be fixed.

oddwunn said:
It's only been 5 days for me, but in that time I noticed a drop in quality. Colors are slightly washed out, nowhere near as vibrant, and sharpness has gone down a couple of notches. And I won't even talk about the dropped frames and stuttering issues. I sure hope this is not an omen of things to come.

I have also noticed that the colors are not as vibrant as before. The picture quality (vibrant colors and sharpness) right now is not what I've come to expect and have been with this service before. Does anyone know if Voom is aware of this specific issue and if there are working at it? Will a hard reboot solve this issue? I have the latest software version v00.05.68 and my current (8:16EST) is 89.

Thanks,

I have just had the service for a couple of days. I have noticed considerable pixelation, washed out colors, and moving artifacts in the hd signal.

rexoverbey said:
I have just had the service for a couple of days. I have noticed considerable pixelation, washed out colors, and moving artifacts in the hd signal.

I have noticed that there is a specific thread dedicated to a subject that affects a good number of us, the OTA mapping issues and that these issues are brought to the attention of voom execs. Can we start a thread for these picture quality issues? I can deal with pixalization and moving artifacts but I at least want to be blown away by the sharpness of the colors at a minimum. Is this a bandwidth and/or a software issue?

The change is so noticeable to me that I have to wonder if they have switched to an inferior encoder or if their encoder's compression level has been increased. The lowered PQ and increased artifacts could be caused by either one.

There have been several posta about PQ over on Yahoo/Voom..

as well. Posters told Wilt he should check the thread out over here as well. He has and said that VOOM will be looking into it.

Listening to Sea Changes by Beck in Seattle, Gill

P.S.: After the sun goes down tomorrow my partner and I will take a closer look at the PQ problem. We don't have another sat service for comparison but do know what HD pics should look like.

Picture Quality

For those who voted that their picture quality is the same or better, can you give us some specifics (signal strength, connection type, software version, etc) so that the rest of us who are experiencing can compare our settings and see if the problem may lie elsewhere.

Thanks,

I have a signal strength of 44-48, firmware version V16, and I am using the DVI out. Today I haven't noticed as much pixelation. Maybe they where just working on the equipment.

Watching Beyonce' Concert on Rave now on ch.125 and the sharpness and hd detail is there in all its glory-it certainly appears that Voom exclusive channels are kicking out that "wow" factor mentioned and that the hd detail and pq is quite noticeably worse on premium channels-thinking of switching to basic package from Va Va Voom until pq issues on premiums gets resolved-again Voom exclusives look great today-premiums are there usually "non-wow" self.

eschu97611 said:
Watching Beyonce' Concert on Rave now on ch.125 and the sharpness and hd detail is there in all its glory-it certainly appears that Voom exclusive channels are kicking out that "wow" factor mentioned and that the hd detail and pq is quite noticeably worse on premium channels-thinking of switching to basic package from Va Va Voom until pq issues on premiums gets resolved-again Voom exclusives look great today-premiums are there usually "non-wow" self.

I would have to agree with the VOOM exclusives still looking pretty nice. But those premium movie channels took a big hit in PQ lately. I might go down in package too, and just go back to getting SHowtime, and HBO hd with D* again. Well until VOOM fixes the compression that is. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts