VOOM STB FAQ (Motorola DSR-550): Post-VOOM Edition

Hi Everyone. Does anybody know if there's a way to actually punch in a local digital channel that isn't a "point one" channel?

Like 17.2

If I enter 17, it naturally gives me ch. 17.1

But can I go directly to 17.2 somehow? Can I enter that on the keypad somehow?

Thanks

No way I have seen. Only workaround, if you do not want 17.1, is to "hide" 17.1 and you will go directly to 17.2 every time. Not likely desirable since the x.1 is usually the "best" from that station.

No way I have seen. Only workaround, if you do not want 17.1, is to "hide" 17.1 and you will go directly to 17.2 every time. Not likely desirable since the x.1 is usually the "best" from that station.

Thanks Ronnie. I posted a reply to you yesterday but now I don't see it (what's up with that?). I resolved my problem by making 17.2 one of my "favorite channels," which allows me to get to it by surfing thru only a few stations while maintaing the current station. Thus I have the two stations I'm interested in so's I can flip back and forth between them. I also could just channel up and down using the surf bar (w/o any favorites) but this is quicker (less channels to go thru).

My next questions are:

Is there any manufacture date on these boxes, or other way to determine date of manufacture (like via the s/n)? I have the latest software (7.37) and am wondering what "generation" my tuner might amount to. Like, the Samsung SIR-151 is a "first generation" tuner, whereas the SIR-451 is a "third generation tuner." That kind of thing.

If I leave the Voom STB in an "off" position, will it still amplify the antenna signal? I have Voom STBs still active with the diplexer. I'm curious to know if I can pass the signal from the antenna through the diplexer, forgoing the actual Voom STB, and right into my TV's RF input. In turn, I want to use my TV's internal tuner. Would this work? Has anyone tried something like this?

I recently bought this receiver of eBay, and just setup today. Everything worked great! Thanks for such a great site and lot of support from this forum. Reception is also pretty good, it even able get some channels my HTPC HDTV Tuner HVR-1600 tuner is finicky with.

But, I have one problem, this box is hanging on the KCTS-HD (PBS HD)channel only, it has nothing to do with Signal strength ( it give more than 95% strength), it simply keeps cyling( may be rebooting itself) when I select that channel. But I can get other KCTS (PBS) Sub channles. Other HD channels work fine. I know KCTS sends all channels/sub channels as a stream. On HTPC I use BeyondTV StreamStrip to take out substream to store.

Anyone has seen this behavior!? and any suggestions or solutions!? BTW Firmware version on my box seems to be 2.4c.

Thanks

Last edited:
I recently bought this receiver of eBay, and just setup today. Everything worked great! Thanks for such a great site and lot of support from this forum. Reception is also pretty good, it even able get some channels my HTPC HDTV Tuner HVR-1600 tuner is finicky with.

But, I have one problem, this box is hanging on the KCTS-HD (PBS HD)channel only, it has nothing to do with Signal strength ( it give more than 95% strength), it simply keeps cyling( may be rebooting itself) when I select that channel. But I can get other KCTS (PBS) Sub channles. Other HD channels work fine. I know KCTS sends all channels/sub channels as a stream. On HTPC I use BeyondTV StreamStrip to take out substream to store.

Anyone has seen this behavior!? and any suggestions or solutions!? BTW Firmware version on my box seems to be 2.4c.

Thanks

PBS seems to be famous for this -- Where I live we have 4 PBS stations - 1 main and 3 subs -- and the 3rd sub always knocks out my voom rec. A few postings earlier I believe someone mentioned that if the Data key (some sort of code I believe) isn't set up right on their end then it will mess things up. I'm sure someone else can clarify better -- but just know that you aren't the only one with PBS problems

I have new box, everything seems to be there for OTA. I bought a powred antenna, and have the modulator on back. plugged all in, get to menu to look for channel ( not scan ) I inputed the # 2, and not signal. same goes for the rest, no % reading on the bar at all? any ideas?

Thanks

Hi! I'm using the old Voom box as an OTA tuner, and it works fine - however, two new stations have recently been "born" in my area. I need to simply re-scan local channels. My box refuses to do this! When I go to the installer menu, there is a check mark next to the "scan local channel" option, and it just won't do it. I've tried re-booting, and nothing seems to get rid of the existing channels. Any idea how to accomplish this? Seems like it should be easy. Thanks a bunch, guys! polargrowler

Did you try #3 on the installer menu, aim off air antenna? You must type in the station RF#, then aim your antenna til it locks in. I think it locks in when you hit 85%.

my remote has something programed in it and i wont to reprograme it for my tv can i do this?

my remote has something programed in it and i wont to reprograme it for my tv can i do this?

This worked for me.

How do I program my VOOM remote for my TV set and/or VCR?
To program the VOOM remote for your TV (or VCR), do the following:

1. Turn the TV set (or VCR) on.
2. Press TV and OK (VCR and OK in case of VCR) buttons simultaneously. VOOM button will light and stay on.
3. Press and hold down the CH+ button until your TV (VCR) turns off. This may take up to two minutes.
4. Press CH- five times. If the TV set (VCR) does not turn on automatically, turn it on manually.
5. Press CH+ one at a time until the television (VCR) turns off.
6. Press the TV (VCR) button to save the code.
7. Repeat steps 1-6 to find a different code (auto-scan will resume where you left off).

Hi - just got a voom reciever from Ebay (firmware 7.37) but stucked on Parental Controls - it was locked by previous owner - I do not know the password (4 digits) for it - is there anything i can do? Please help, Thanks

Welcome to the forum, ddkkpp!

Try most obvious combinations, like 1111, 1234, etc.
There is no other easy way, short of trying all 10000 combinations... :(
You might be able to return the box to the seller before it's too late.

Good luck!

If I leave the Voom STB in an "off" position, will it still amplify the antenna signal? I have Voom STBs still active with the diplexer. I'm curious to know if I can pass the signal from the antenna through the diplexer, forgoing the actual Voom STB, and right into my TV's RF input. In turn, I want to use my TV's internal tuner. Would this work? Has anyone tried something like this?

Yeah, what's with this amplified antenna output thing.. I haven't found any information about it..

Thanks, Brent

Report from OC, CA

Hey, guys. I just wanted to report that I'm also a victim of the PBS-reboot.

The station is KCET out of LA. All other KCET sub channels (Orange 28.2 and vme 28.3) and my local PBS (KOCE) work ok but their programming is not as good. Also as of about two weeks ago, CBS 2 out of LA makes my voom reboot :(

As a loose question, has anyone noticed blooming in their white colors on the voom? I find it annoying sometimes.

Hi Guy's
I got a problem maybe someone here can help? I had two receivers that I had before Voom went out of business. Well I had a surge that hit my house a few weeks ago and now both of my receivers are dead ( Both will not power on at all ). Is there a power reset switch on the box? I have looked at the fuse and it looks good but I need to check it with my multimeter first though. If I buy two new receivers from E-Bay can I switch out the power curcuit board with a new board in the old receiver or maybe the OTA card and the card in the front and use the new box? If someone can help I would be so grateful. I hate to resort to buying two activated receiver from E-Bay, I hate buying anything from E-Bay.
Thanks AmericanBob

Last edited:
Help! Voom Box won't do 1080i

Hi folks!

PLEASE help me with this bizarre issue. I have been using the Voom box for OTA without any problems over the last few years. Recently, I bought a new receiver, the Onkyo TX-SR705 with three HDMI 1.3 inputs. So, i rewired my whole system so that I connect the Voom box to the receiver using the DVI cable that came with the box and an HDMI adapter.

Now, the picture from the Voom box shows ONLY in 480i. When I try to switch to 1080i, the Voom box simply ignores my command and defaults back to 480i. Neither the menu nor the red button allow me to switch out of 480i?

My TV is a Sony KP-WS510 (CRT-based projection TV with DVI input).

Could this be related to HDCP somehow?

Am I doomed to continue using the component output from the Voom box? (I sold my wife on the receiver by saying I would get rid of those cables with the DVI connection!)

HELP!

- RV

I don't know about your particular model, but some older TV sets have DVI that is not HDCP-compliant. Check your manual: if it doesn't mention HDCP, then this is most likely the case. The VOOM-box wil not send HD-resolution to non HDCP device. You will have to use component cables.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts