Voom STB native mode:

wittangamo

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2004
May have missed it, but didn't see this addressed in the FAQ.

My Voom install is next week. I'm planning to use the DVI output from the Moto to my Sammy DLP.

I'd like to try native mode so 720p will pass thru and 1080i will be downconverted in the set.

But what about SD? If I understand it correctly, 480i won't pass over DVI. Will native mode work with DVI? Is there a workaround?

wittangamo said:
I'd like to try native mode so 720p will pass thru and 1080i will be downconverted in the set.
But what about SD? If I understand it correctly, 480i won't pass over DVI. Will native mode work with DVI?
DVI will pass all modes no problem. Unless your TV set has some restrictions on what modes are supported on the DVI input.

I disagree. I've also got a Samsung DLP and any channels that are SD won't work with the DVI connection. It'll work with the component connection though.

EDIT* Damn, Ilya you edited your post before I could post mine. :p

John

Again, the STB will pass all modes over DVI. The question is whether your TV set will accept them. Check your TV set's manual.

jtruong said:
EDIT* Damn, Ilya you edited your post before I could post mine. :p
;) I posted the first sentence and then I realized that certain TV sets have input restrictions...

Thanks for the quick replies.

Some additional questions:

jtruong, are you using both? Do you see a noticeable PQ difference between 720p or 1080i output via DVI on your Sammy?

Do you see a difference in SD over DVI vs component?

A poster in another thread reports better SD in native mode, and I'm wondering whether it's worth the hassle of switching inputs between stations.

I have a Mitsubishi RPTV (65" Diamond) connected via component cables. SD does look better in native mode but I leave the STB in 1080i (native for my set) because the menu is sharper and there is an annoying blip of mixed colors while the STB re-syncs to each format.

When I use native mode the 480i channels do not work.
I have a Mitsubishi Silver Edition 42"

I've only used the DVI cable with the VOOM STB. I actually haven't used the component. I may give it a try this weekend and see if I can see a difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)