Voom today!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

smitzinok

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 23, 2004
Oklahoma
Voom install

Installer called. Asked if he could do today [2 days early!]
I said oh yea (duh). I will keep ya'll posted on how it goes. :)

well smitz, how did your install go?

I'm NE of you in the middle of the storms in Chickasha and my pix is zilch. Real heavy rains and hail.

got it!

Install went ok.
Big thunderstorm came while the installer was tweaking Analog OTA, so right now they are almost unwatchable.
There are HD OTA channel numbers in the program guide but I don't get any of them! Installer said 'you can't get any of those out here' Gotta call V*...

The HD channels on my sammy DLP are amazing!

Installer said 'I'll come back and finish up in a couple of days' He was nice enough to [give me] a dvi cable cause my box did'nt come with one! I had to supply my own phone cord.

A bigger storm came thru about 45 mins after the installer
left and I lost everthing! Took about 30 min to get sat back on.
I said Oh S**T now what.
So is this somethig to look forward to with every storm?
(this is my first sat system)
I just got my Snapstream and IR blaster working so gotta play with it.
Its all good cause I'm VOOMING!
will keep ya'll updated

Rain fade...

can be an issue anywhere, but may be worse depending on your signal strength. It has been a factor with all satellite receivers I've ever had. I think it was actually worse on dishnetwork than it is now with voom. I'm close to the east coast, in sc.

As far as the cables go, I broke the seal on one of my receivers and it came with DVI, component, and a loooooong phone cord, and a y-connector block for the phone line.

Sounds like you may need an OTA antenna upgrade. When I called about that I would inquire about my cables.

Happy Vooming!

If after the weather passes you still have trouble with the OTA simply call Voom and emphasize that the installer ehausted all possible solutions and you are still not getting all of the channels. They should provide you with an upgraded antenna. Most folks that have UHF stations in their area are receiving either the Channel Master 4228 or the Wineguard 8800. I got the 8800 and couldn't be happier.

I think Voom could increase customer satisfaction at the toime of installation, and save themselves money in the long run, if they would do two things:
1. Make the 24" dish standard equipment, which would eliminate (or at least greatly reduce) rain fade issues. Initial cost would be greater, but it reduces the need for repeat visits. I guess this will be a moot point when the 35" dish becomes standard.
2. Determine (based on zip code) what sort of OTA antenna a customer is going to need before install, and authorize the installer to put that up. Starting with the Stealth for everyone, including people who live in areas patently unsuitable for it, and only authorizing an upgrade later, guarantees that they will pay for an expensive second installer visit (if they haven't completely alienated the new customer). As they develop more experience with what antennas work in what areas, they should start getting smart about installations from the beginning. If we can use antennaweb, surely Voom can too?

OTA reception is so finicky though. The same day I had my install, the installer put up the Stealth for someone on the otherside of my subdivision, about half a mile, in the same manner as mine. At the other location he was able to bring in all locals even though he could only get two for me.

wasch_24 said:
OTA receprion is so finicky though. The same day I had my install, the installer put up the Stealth for someone on the otherside of my subdivision, about half a mile, in the same manner as mine. At the other location he was able to bring in all locals even though he could only get two for me.

To an extent, yes, but I live 50 miles from the towers, and I guarantee that I will be given a Stealth antenna. It is plain as day that this will not work at my site, nor anyone's in my city of 85,000 people.

Smitzinok:

You should of gotten all different types of cables including phone line with each receiver that you got.

Let us know if you have "black screen" radomly when view programs using the DVI connection. I have the same type of tv.

update

so far I have not had "black screen" issues using the DVI connection.

Installer returned today and gave the cables and other stuff he "forgot" to
give me the other day without asking!
He spent 2 hours working to get the OTA signals. Well I think its a lost cause at 60-70 miles I guess I'm SOL......
We were able to get some of the analog stations.
someday technology will catchup to us out in the "boonies"
I will try to get some install pics up this weekend
Now I've got alot of V* to watch.........

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts