Voomers in NYC metro area (including Locals)

Hi there. This is my first posting at this forum. My voom was installed yesterday I think by Luis and he did a good job. I live on Staten Island in zip10306 same as Knyaz. Everything works great. From OTA i get steady 2.1, 5.1; 5.2, 7.1 and 7.2 with the supplied antenna. No NBS or any PBS. I am currious if any one gets more than that. I called VOOM yesterday but the techical support guy was not able to resolve it. So they gonna come out on 4/8 for trouble shooting. Any one from SI, please let me know if you are able to receive more channels.
Thanks
Arkady

migpt said:
Hi there. This is my first posting at this forum. My voom was installed yesterday I think by Luis and he did a good job. I live on Staten Island in zip10306 same as Knyaz. Everything works great. From OTA i get steady 2.1, 5.1; 5.2, 7.1 and 7.2 with the supplied antenna. No NBS or any PBS. I am currious if any one gets more than that. I called VOOM yesterday but the techical support guy was not able to resolve it. So they gonna come out on 4/8 for trouble shooting. Any one from SI, please let me know if you are able to receive more channels.
Thanks
Arkady

migpt,

welcome. I live in the Bronx. I get the same as you but I also get NBC and WPIX (WB) although they both now are transmitting at low power. Channel Thirteen (PBS) I don't have a chance since I live opposite of the tower and blocked by every builing in lower Manhattan. I get PBS from Long Island channel 21 (WLIW). I think I heard others be able to get NBC/Channel Thirteen from Staten Island but it is more like a hit or miss depending on your location in Staten Island. You might try a stronger antenna to see if any signal comes in. Do you get any signal from NBC of channel 13? or everything is zero?

Thanks Sean. That's what I'm going to ask when they will come for trouble shooting. I don't know if I have to call them and ask to bring a new antenna with them? Just in case. By the way all the channels are in PG.
Thanks again

or try a 2448 bow tie it worked for me and i am on line with you, sean aprox same distance unless the empire state only broadcasts north,i would guess it's 360 deg

Hey Arkady!
My installation was also yesterday performed by Sureway. They did an OK job, but I cannot get local HD. I can only get CBS in good weather and Fox and UPN anytime. Cannot get anything else. They told me that I have to put an antenna on the roof, but they refused to do it themselves. (right now OTA antenna is on the roof of my shed and does not clear townhouses around my backyard)
I guess I can move it myself to the roof (hopefully no one will complain in my condo community), but they borrowed my wrench bit and never returned it!!!

Pavel.

Hey Pavel. I have a townhouse and my antenna is on the roof. I guess b/c of this I can get more locals. The sureway guys are coming to do trouble shooting next week, so we will see. Since you are in the same zip you should be able to get at least the same locals as I do if you get an antenna up on the roof.
Arkady

Arkady, are you using a diplexer or your Dish and OTA have its separate coax run? (i had diplexer installed by SureWay) Waiting for a warm weather to go up the roof, still not sure how to get there since I do not have such long ladder.

Hi Pavel. They have installed diplexers in my case.
Why didn't they install the antenna on the roof? May be you should complain to voom about it.
How long ladder do u need to get to the roof?

They refused to install antenna on the roof. They said that Dish and Antenna must be together *?!*... yeah right!
I have 2 roofs(1st floor and then 2nd floor), so I will try to make a hop with my small ladder, but it is too cold now and I think I will make a separate run for OTA, to get rid of diplexer.

SEAN MOTA, do diplexers degrade quality of the picture???

Just an update on my OTA trouble shooting. As I expected nothing was done. The guy comes in and sais Ahhhh you need a better antenna. Call Install... and tell them that.
So i did and they say that Sureway will determine what antenna do i need and will call me back with a new appointment. By the way I emailed Sureway on Friday saing that they are better to come with a new antenna or their visit here will be for hothing. Noone called me back. I will update you on this.

Hey Pavel.
Just curious if you were able to move your OTA to the roof yet and what are the results.
Arkady

Luis...

Tatoo,

I see you found this forum, too. Hopefully, your Voom is doing better these days?

Anyway, Luis did my install, too. After hearing about all of the horror installs it's good to hear a few good ones. Luis did an excellent job here, too. He was very friendly, professional and answered all of my questions. I just wish I had more time to ask him questions. I was running late for an appointment.

The Rickster

knyaz said:
They refused to install antenna on the roof. They said that Dish and Antenna must be together *?!*... yeah right!
I have 2 roofs(1st floor and then 2nd floor), so I will try to make a hop with my small ladder, but it is too cold now and I think I will make a separate run for OTA, to get rid of diplexer.

SEAN MOTA, do diplexers degrade quality of the picture???

There have been cases where diplexer lowers the strength of the OTA signal and few cases where quality was degraded.

Arkady, with all that rain, I didn't risk to go on the roof yet.
gotta go to radio shack and buy coax cable for the OTA antenna, I hope they have 75ft length, want to run a separate cable for OTA, get rid of diplexer.

With Wind and Rain in NYC last night did anyone experience "rain fade". Last night I watched between the hours of 7pm and 11pm and only had one occassion in which the entire picture pixelated and was frozen. It took about 20 seconds to go back to normal and never again experience any more problems. My quality signal usually at 95 or greater dropped to 75-85.

I was at home yesterday during heavy rain hours. Satellite reception was dead completely and I was able to watch only CBS on OTA. Satellite signal was 0 at the times. I also still have E* and was able to watch their programs.
And later on there were a lot of pixelations.

I was able to watch all VOOM programming. (didn't check OTA). Once I was only hearing sound on 123, but picture came on in about 10 seconds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts