Vpn

I am 99% sure it will not. I'm not even sure that WB offers a static IP.?? I do know that HN does but VPNs , if they work at all are terribly slowwwww. Most do not work because of the delay between packets. You might post this ? on "wildblue uncensored" to get a better answere.

traditional IPSEC VPN clients do not work well with sat broadband because the providers use accelarator servers to speed up the connection by caching data so it does not have to be downloaded again from the net.

When you connect with a vpn client, you bypass these accelerators and run at true sat speeds of about 28-56K.

Now if your company is using the easier "SSL" vpn solution then it will work fine since it is a simple web browser over https (SSL).

"Not supported" and "doesn't work" are two different things. The many thousands of satellite internet folks using VPN all day long to telecommute will tell you that it most definitely works, but is generally about dialup speed. Constant-on makes it typically better than dialup.

A number of VPN solutions require a publicly-addressable IP to function well, and with HughesNet at least, that is an extra cost option (comes with a Static IP account - the static part isn't the issue, but public addressing is).

I have set up customers with WB, and got it took work fine. Is a bit slow but stable enough for their needs.

we have a couple Claims Field Reps (I do tech support for an ins company) 2 use Wild blue and at least 1 uses direct way. When we set up the 2 with wild blue they stated that they could connect using our Cisco VPN they are a little laggy with ping times of about 1600 - 2000ms However they were usable and I could use the Landesk remote desktop to control the workstations.

Now the guy that is using Hughes is screaming. I can connect to his workstation wit a response that is almost as good as the guys using DSL or cable with a 125 - 250ms ping.

My personal Hughes system is going ot be installed on wednesday. I will be able to test it out for my self. even if it is as laggy as the Wild blue service at 1500ms it will still be faster then the 3000ms ping times I get over dialup at 1900bps. (it is pretty sad that dialup isnt even a viable option out where I am) hell if I were to have someone mail me the disk that isnt a viable option as we dont get home mail delivery.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)