Waiver, Why?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

paulyme

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
New Jersey
I am just curious, why does DTV need a waiver (and why must I wait so long?) from CBS to receive their HD in my area when I see on this forum, that in my area (Phila metro area) others are already receiving it? Is there not a blanket waiver for each area that DTV can have on file? I called and DTV said the waiver request could take 45 days. !protest

Thanx,

Paulyme

Does anyone know the criteria for getting a waiver? I would have thought that you had to live in a rural area that doesn't receive a signal, but if you can get a waiver in Philly, maybe there's hope for me to get a waiver in a DC suburb?

I'm not sure what the requirements are for DirecTV, but for Dish it's like this:

1) If you live in an area where CBS itself owns the CBS affiliate AND you are outside the grade B signal area of any other CBS affiliate not owned by CBS, you automatically qualify to get CBS HD.

If you live in an area where CBS itself owns the CBS affiliate AND you are INSIDE the grade B signal area of any other CBS affiliate(s) not owned by CBS (no matter where it comes from), you do not qualify to get CBS HD unless the "independent" CBS affiliate(s) grant you a waiver.

2) If you live outside the grade B signal area of ANY CBS affiliate, you automatically qualify for CBS HD.

If you can receive a grade B signal from ANY CBS affiliate not owned by CBS, the CBS affiliate(s) in question must grant a waiver before you can get CBS HD.

See ya
Tony

TNGTony said:
I'm not sure what the requirements are for DirecTV, but for Dish it's like this:

1) If you live in an area where CBS itself owns the CBS affiliate AND you are outside the grade B signal area of any other CBS affiliate not owned by CBS, you automatically qualify to get CBS HD.

If you live in an area where CBS itself owns the CBS affiliate AND you are INSIDE the grade B signal area of any other CBS affiliate(s) not owned by CBS (no matter where it comes from), you do not qualify to get CBS HD unless the "independent" CBS affiliate(s) grant you a waiver.

2) If you live outside the grade B signal area of ANY CBS affiliate, you automatically qualify for CBS HD.

If you can receive a grade B signal from ANY CBS affiliate not owned by CBS, the CBS affiliate(s) in question must grant a waiver before you can get CBS HD.

See ya
Tony

Thanks Tony,
As usual, good explaination. Could you also elaborate on how "outside the grade 'B' signal" is determined.

Do both "D" & "E" use the same method ?

How much does the topography of a particular street address come into play?

I know my address doesn't qualify the same with "D" as it does with "E".

WaltinVt

I am not sure what all the fuss with waivers is as well. I have never had to deal with anything involving a "waiver" for any channel. I called directv to get me going with CBS HD in Chicago and it was turned on in 2 minutes. No waivers or whatever that milarki is.

It is a stupid set of legal hoops, I am just glad I have never had to jump through them.

DirecTV has a page on their site that will tell you the grade based on your address. I found it by clicking on the "more info about CBS HD" link in the DirecTV packaging page describing the local channels.

Stinks for me ... Grade B and A channels for all, but the indoor antenna I tried couldn't pick anything up.

Is this the tool?

http://directvdnseligibility.decisionmark.com/app/AddressEntry.asp

I have all Grade A and one grade B, CBS is grade A, but they switched my CBS HD on right away without any talk of any waivers or what have you.

I can't pick up anything other than fuzzy garbage with an antenna for analog signals, but my Silver Sensor picks up everything in digital with high 90% signals. Kind of awesome how digital works so much better than analog.

ckudrna said:
Is this the tool?

http://directvdnseligibility.decisionmark.com/app/AddressEntry.asp

I have all Grade A and one grade B, CBS is grade A, but they switched my CBS HD on right away without any talk of any waivers or what have you.

I can't pick up anything other than fuzzy garbage with an antenna for analog signals, but my Silver Sensor picks up everything in digital with high 90% signals. Kind of awesome how digital works so much better than analog.

Is Silver sensor the indoor HD antenna by Zenith. I was thinking of buying one. Does it work well and was it easy to install?

Thanks,
Paulyme

Hi

It works real well. I get all Digital channels here in Metro Phoenix.

It is the indoor antenna. It is about a foot and a half long. All you do is plug it in to the antenna jack on your HD reciever. I am about 12 miles from the transmitters, so i am pretty close. I get well over 90% signal on all stations. Works great.

Where is your HD reciever located? I have my antenna kind of near a window with a general direction sight of where the towers are.

Check out antennaweb.org and see how far you are from the transmitters and what type of antenna you may need.

All you need to do is call up DirecTV and tell them you want to use your Receiver at camp sites form a recreational vehicle. They will classify you as a mobile customer and you will qualify for NY/LA National locals, which include the CBS and NBC HiDef feeds!!

DTV Mobile Use

It`s not that easy. You have to submit a trailer or RV current registration plus sign a statement. At least that is my understanding.
Am I missing something???

Tell them you have a mobile install and it is mounted on your sons back. You can send a birth certificate or something to verify.

Keep the kid standing in the same spot while you watch football. Everyone wins.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)