Wally Questions

H2Guy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 28, 2022
Santa Fe
Will a Wally (when used without a Hopper) be able to record on a EHD and display a program at the same time, I have read that it is a dual tuner unit and can do it. But only if combined with a Hopper and not a 722 or 922.
Thx

The Wally can be used by itself. When you add an external hard drive to a Wally it can be used as a DVR and you can watch one program while another is recording.

With a dome type antenna, you can only record what your watching or while not watching 1 channel.
You still have the pause, fast foward and rewind features using the hard drive.

If you use a 3 LNB type dish, you can record 1 channel while watching another. The Wally will recognize the 3 LNB dish and open up the second tuner.

There is a $50 one time charge for Dish to authorize the use of an external hard drive. This is linked to your Dish account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thx for all of that but will a single Wally record and play another channel at the same time?

Thx for all of that but will a single Wally record and play another channel at the same time?
Depends on what you mean by play
The Wally is a single tuner unit. So record a show and watch something else from the DVR? Yes
Record a show on say espn and watch something on espn2? No

If you add the OTA tuner dongle then I think you can record a satellite channel and OTA at same time

Reactions: charlesrshell
If you read the info on dish site I believe there's old info stating the wally is a single tuner receiver which it originally started out as but yrs ago they did a software update turning on the dual tuner feature

Reactions: charlesrshell
I assume the dual satellite tuner is only if you have the DVR option added?
It is a dual tuner when feed a signal that can provide dual tuner functionality (either DPP or DPH). Without the DVR option the second tuner can download guide/software updates, not much more. Once the fee is paid and the DVR functionality activated that opens the doors to the DVR functions you know about.

Tailgaters/Portable dishes in general use either DP or SW (also known as legacy) switching and therefore provide only one tuner to the Wally, regardless of the DVR functionality being activated.

Not true, Wallys have two tuners and if you add a dongle it has three tuners albeit two for sat and one for OTA.
Also worth mentioning that the Wally supports both the old single tuner OTA adapter and the newer dual tuner, so you could theoretically record two OTA and two satellite feeds at once.

It is a dual tuner when feed a signal that can provide dual tuner functionality (either DPP or DPH). Without the DVR option the second tuner can download guide/software updates, not much more. Once the fee is paid and the DVR functionality activated that opens the doors to the DVR functions you know about.
OK now it makes sense. My relative has a Wally in an out building and no DVR attached so that is why I thought it was only a single tuner unit. (There is a DPP Twin and DP Single set up as a poor mans D1000)

Ok, to sum it up, with the correct dish type and a attached HDD the Wally can:
1. Record a show while watching another channel, or 2. play a recorded show while recording another, is that correct?

Ok, to sum it up, with the correct dish type and a attached HDD the Wally can:
1. Record a show while watching another channel, or 2. play a recorded show while recording another, is that correct?
I think you can record 2 sat channels, 2 OTA channels, and watch a previously recorded program all at once. You may be able to get on-demand stuff going too.