Want to come back to DirecTV hate Dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Just my opinion but I think the AT&T merger caused major development in the Genie's to come to a stop. They have added some customer facing changes such as the internal GenieGo and reverse DBS band support, while there's been a bunch in changes making things easier for installers and support. Hopefully we'll be seeing the rumored new STB that is supposed to be more broadband friendly in customer testing by the end of the year.
Which box is this your referring to ?

I was talking about the actual, official Dish forum not this one. That's where I made my post about TV Land, and where I got the answer. Why don't they just say "we have no plans to add it at this time"? Oh, that would require honesty.

Having 5 tuners is certainly better than only 2 (or 3 in the case of the Hopper 2) but if you need more you can add more if you really need it. Dish allows it with a lease of a Super Joey or another Hopper. You can get to 6 tuners with one of them handling 4 channels during PrimeTime.

I'm not sure how many tuners Dish's LNB can handle but you seem to be off a bit on your understanding of the Hopper 3. It has 16 tuners not 6. And like the 2, it uses 1 for 4 channels during PrimeTime for an effective 19. If D* has one that can handle 22 I expect they need to come out with a box that uses most of them pretty soon or they will lose more business to Dish.

I still haven't made up my mind but it's getting clearer and clearer that Dish is pushing technology a lot more than D*.

I used to get a discount on D* because I worked for the company that invented it (before they invented it).
I don't know enough about most of the Hoppers, I haven't had the opportunity to use them.

Yeah there's no guarantee that the model I have will be the same model that they release they may change stuff between then and now

My comment was meant a little differently from what you think. D*'s history and D* fans postings here over the years of the 'next big thing' coming from D* has been full of hyperbole.

Each Hrxx after another was faster and better in testing, as was the HD GUI, then the Genie was the cat's meow. When those all showed up the rest of us found that the newer HR's weren't' all that 'better' until they got to the HR24.

The Genie was a good step, but in reality only added 3 tuners to essentially the HR lineup and the HDGUI was nothing to crow about at all.

Not to mention the Direc2PC software that only worked on a very few PC configurations and then not very well.

So I'm a bit pessimistic about new tech from D*. If the new, coming soon gear is better in a big way, I'll congratulate them. But I'm not ready to hold my breath. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: bobvick and Tampa8
imho the genie was a much greater step over the hr than the hopper was over the vip
the ability to integrate the hr and genie was a huge step. no replacement of all receivers

if the hopper played with the vip, it would have been much better, imho

the hopper 3 is the next huge step.
directv is now playing catch up

i want to see what they bring before i decide where i will end up

The Genie wasn't much of a step IMO. Whole home was there with HRs before the Genie hit the street. And like all the HRs that preceded it, it got slower over time. That was one of my biggest peeves with the HR's including the Genies. Well that and 'channels I get' never actually working right... :)

But it would have been nice to have VIP/Hopper integration though I understand why it didn't happen.

Genie was kind of a big step since it included RVU support which has allowed some TV's to not need a separate receiver..

And your need to remember DIRECTV has decided that they want all their STB's to basically look and act like every other one, which has limited what changes they could make. Hopefully they will change that decision when it comes to the next generation receivers.

Yeah, I had forgot about RVU support. But from reading here and there, it wasn't all that good compared to the Cxx boxes, and it was a very limited set of TVs.

I'm hoping that a good thing to come out of the merger is that ATT decides that the software needs a major overhaul. And with the poorly implemented software they had, get better programmers. IF/when they come up with a 'new' box they need to also think new GUI. Wouldn't hurt if they got rid of all those in-guide ads either.

Odd glitches aside, Dish did an overall great job of software/gui on the Hopper series. Now it is time for DirecTV to step up to that bar.

Yeah, I had forgot about RVU support. But from reading here and there, it wasn't all that good compared to the Cxx boxes, and it was a very limited set of TVs.
I would agree that there have been problems with RVU clients, my 2012 Samsung was/is a real dog. But got to say that my 2016's client is much better, and when it comes to speed is quicker then the C61K that I also have.

I still say that if they would put the client in smaller models and allow for the TV's WiFi adapter to connect to the WVB that folks would really like that. Put a small TV in the kitchen or bathroom with no boxes, just one power cord for the TV.

I would agree that there have been problems with RVU clients, my 2012 Samsung was/is a real dog. But got to say that my 2016's client is much better, and when it comes to speed is quicker then the C61K that I also have.

I still say that if they would put the client in smaller models and allow for the TV's WiFi adapter to connect to the WVB that folks would really like that. Put a small TV in the kitchen or bathroom with no boxes, just one power cord for the TV.
Smaller boxes, most I have seen look like the size of an envelope ... what are you wanting, a postage stamp ? :biggrin

Smaller boxes, most I have seen look like the size of an envelope ... what are you wanting, a postage stamp ? :biggrin
How about the size of a Chromecast, or Roku stick.
I think that's kind of where he's going .

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Smallest DIRECTV client is the C31/41/51, what have you seen that's smaller? Even if the TV has a build in RVU client they still must have a DECA and coax run to them, being able to use the WVB's WiFi signal with the client gets rid of that.

Can you get two main genies from DTV and two genie mini's for four total TV's so you will have more tuners?

What I mean is that one main genie for my Grandmother and I use the genie mini.
The other main genie for my mother and my uncle uses the genie mini for that unit.

Can you get two main genies from DTV and two genie mini's for four total TV's so you will have more tuners?

What I mean is that one main genie for my Grandmother and I use the genie mini.
The other main genie for my mother and my uncle uses the genie mini for that unit.

1 genie per account

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)