Want to come back to DirecTV hate Dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have the HR44 on main T.V., and 3 other T.V's which I believe are H25 receivers. The H25's can acces the DVR of the Genie, but they are independent tuners, so they don't take up a tuner on the DVR. I'm not sure if they still use the H25's, but if they did, it might work for you.

I've modified my requirements since I've learned you can only have 1 Genie.

I currently have 9 tuners with 3 Hoppers plus the PrimeTime Anytime feature which only takes one tuner.

If D* could give me 9 tuners without me having to pay for the extra 4 over the Genie I would probably go back but I won't if they insist I pay $200/2 tuner DVR. Either they are as good as Dish or they aren't.

I currently have 9 tuners with 3 Hoppers plus the PrimeTime Anytime feature which only takes one tuner.

If D* could give me 9 tuners without me having to pay for the extra 4 over the Genie I would probably go back but I won't if they insist I pay $200/2 tuner DVR. Either they are as good as Dish or they aren't.
You continue to compare Apples to Oranges ... and ask for things you know you won't get.

You continue to compare Apples to Oranges ... and ask for things you know you won't get.
Is it gems like this that got you those 889 likes?

;)

I don't "know" I won't get it. I believe there's a chance D* will realize they are losing a lot of business taking a back seat to Dish.

Is it gems like this that got you those 889 likes?

;)

I don't "know" I won't get it. I believe there's a chance D* will realize they are losing a lot of business taking a back seat to Dish.
Sorry, can't be all Yeah all the time, gotta take the good with the bad.
Thats just it, D* is not taking a back seat, but you seem to not understand.
Just because, one company comes out with a new product or something different, doesn't mean that the other is bad because they didn't do the same thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: AZ. and Tampa8

prime time anytime does not equal 11 tuners, its not 24/7

but yeah, doubtful, you can always call and ask

prime time anytime does not equal 11 tuners, its not 24/7

Actually it IS (actually 12) tuners 24/7; ANYTIME you record from any of the local big 4 nets, ALL 4 channels only take 1 tuner. The ONLY difference is during PT, you get auto-hop.
I have 3 Ho's as well, so I DO know this for a fact...

Actually it IS (actually 12) tuners 24/7; ANYTIME you record from any of the local big 4 nets, ALL 4 channels only take 1 tuner. The ONLY difference is during PT, you get auto-hop.

really? well thats new
and the autohop is 3-5 days after

really? well thats new

Not really...I've had my Ho's for well over 3+ years & it's always been that way; it actually was that way not all that long after the Hopper 1's came out.

and the autohop is 3-5 days after

It's actually 7-days now, but I could care less about that...I NEVER get around to watching PT prog that fast & if I do, it's no big deal whatsoever to press the skip forward button. ;)

Yes, that would be quite interesting if you could record 4 (big 4 networks) and only use 1 tuner .... then they'd really be on to something. :biggrin

Actually not really.
When you Activate PTA, it takes a tuner from your 9 leaving you with 8.

And now if you have the new UI U210 PTA can't be shared between Hoppers anymore.

I have a 2 Hopper setup, so if you want view PTA across Hoppers, you have to activate PTA on both, and that only leaves 4 live tuners left to serve 4 rooms, while them 2 tuners are tied up for over 3 hours for mostly garbage programs.

Quite frankly I've never ever had a use for this feature for the simple fact that local network programming IMO flat out sucks.

For the 4 hours a week our family does from PTA it's not worth 21 hours of tuner tie ups just to "Auto hop " 2 out of the 4 programs.

Rant....
("I'm sorry I'm fine with manually pressing a remote button to skip commercials.
I'm a customer that's against Charlie spending money on this feature from the Networks that resulted in more money spent in lawsuits from it.")
Rant over.....

But anyway
The Hopper 3 with 16 tuners makes more sense now.

While PTA a Nice feature certainly wasn't the answer to having low 3 tuner Equipped Hopper.

But 3 Hoppers vs Directv 9 tuners, I would much rather have 3 Hoppers.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

It will be interesting to see what the 'next big thing' from DirecTV will be in hardware. Hopefully not just incremental differences as the HRxx to Genie are. And hopefully the next receiver/DVR change will come with much upgraded software/GUI. That is long overdue IMO.

It will be interesting to see what the 'next big thing' from DirecTV will be in hardware. Hopefully not just incremental differences as the HRxx to Genie are. And hopefully the next receiver/DVR change will come with much upgraded software/GUI. That is long overdue IMO.
I won't even consider Directv until they have an option for more than 5 tuners that doesn't cost a minimum of $200.
No reason you need to charge that much on a piece of leased equipment.

You can Buy and Own an H3 for as Low as $225 brand new in box.
I've already seen them.
H2s are only $125.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Actually not really.
When you Activate PTA, it takes a tuner from your 9 leaving you with 8.
ACTUALLY, I was counting the ability to record the big 4 nets off of the (1) tuner...8 tuners + big 4 nets (on 9th tuner) = 12 tuners altogether - simple math.
And yea, I DO actually realize this only works if you happen to want to record all 4 big 4 nets...the point being, you DO have a theoretical max of 12 tuners, & NO, it does NOT work for everyone all the time - there, does THIS spell it all out more precisely??? :rolleyes:

Actually here's what I've been doing on my PTA settings...on my 2 Ho 2's, on Saturday or Sunday night, I change both of them so that PTA is ONLY enabled on Friday. Then AFTER Monday's PT, I then change both receivers from Friday to Monday...& rinse & repeat this each week. This way both tuners are never locked up for 3 hours on any given evening, as you pointed out...but I DO still get my auto-hops on the few PT shows I still record on my Ho's. (I'm actually recording more & more OTA programing on my 2 Tivo Roamios, as I like the way they're doing commercial skipping, as well as I LUV their quick-play feature!) I've got my routine established that it's not that big of deal to do this procedure twice a week...I just consider it a minor "work-around" of PTA. :)

And now if you have the new UI U210 PTA can't be shared between Hoppers anymore.
I have a 2 Hopper setup, so if you want view PTA across Hoppers, you have to activate PTA on both, and that only leaves 4 live tuners left to serve 4 rooms, while them 2 tuners are tied up for over 3 hours for mostly garbage programs.
Really??? Well thankfully I do NOT have it & hope that is NEVER comes to the Ho 2's...if/when it does, I'm definitely going to have to think about if I'm going to keep my setup as-is...

Reactions: Tampa8 and Troch77
Really??? Well thankfully I do NOT have it & hope that is NEVER comes to the Ho 2's...if/when it does, I'm definitely going to have to think about if I'm going to keep my setup as-is...
Yes, don't download that UI, or don't get a 4K joey if you don't have an H3.

Otherwise the PTA sharing between Hoppers will be gone.

I've emailed, and posted several times about this in the UI threads to dirt.
Hopefully a fix comes before long.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

ACTUALLY, I was counting the ability to record the big 4 nets off of the (1) tuner...8 tuners + big 4 nets (on 9th tuner) = 12 tuners altogether - simple math.
And yea, I DO actually realize this only works if you happen to want to record all 4 big 4 nets...the point being, you DO have a theoretical max of 12 tuners, & NO, it does NOT work for everyone all the time - there, does THIS spell it all out more precisely??? :rolleyes:

Actually here's what I've been doing on my PTA settings...on my 2 Ho 2's, on Saturday or Sunday night, I change both of them so that PTA is ONLY enabled on Friday. Then AFTER Monday's PT, I then change both receivers from Friday to Monday...& rinse & repeat this each week. This way both tuners are never locked up for 3 hours on any given evening, as you pointed out...but I DO still get my auto-hops on the few PT shows I still record on my Ho's. (I'm actually recording more & more OTA programing on my 2 Tivo Roamios, as I like the way they're doing commercial skipping, as well as I LUV their quick-play feature!) I've got my routine established that it's not that big of deal to do this procedure twice a week...I just consider it a minor "work-around" of PTA. :)

Who wants to Record all that stuff every night anyways, I sure wouldn't.

I personally can't figure out how people have that much time to watch tv. Now breaking up a house hold of let's say 4 people, I can understand needing more tuners to record but it still blows my mind. I have 8 tubers available and I can't tell you the last time I watched a recording. I think 3 outta 4 of my receivers have 100% free space. I'm in the wrong job, I think we've gotten to far gone from the old days when kids played outside, and parents were actual parents and not using a screen on the wall to babysit. Our home listens to more music than we ever watch tv. But that's just my 2 cents

Reactions: Jimbo and Troch77
I personally can't figure out how people have that much time to watch tv. Now breaking up a house hold of let's say 4 people, I can understand needing more tuners to record but it still blows my mind. I have 8 tubers available and I can't tell you the last time I watched a recording. I think 3 outta 4 of my receivers have 100% free space. I'm in the wrong job, I think we've gotten to far gone from the old days when kids played outside, and parents were actual parents and not using a screen on the wall to babysit. Our home listens to more music than we ever watch tv. But that's just my 2 cents
Agree 6 tuners or 8 tuners is nice.
Because there are occasions that all 4 of us are watching live tv, and may want to record something.

Not 80% of the time, But that 20% that it happens is enough to aggravate the crap out of me.

But 16 tuners is way more than enough.
5 is not.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)