Want to switch back

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Patrick Smith

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2013
Valdosta, GA
I switched back to dish a few months ago and have not been happy. I am thinking about dropping down to the welcome pack and switching back. What is the best and cheapest setup? I have 5 TVs. 2 hoppers and 3 joeys.

Make sure you factor in your early termination fee from Dish, which sounds like could be a couple of hundred dollars.

D* has been sending me email and snail mail with great offers, including a $200 rebate to help cover an ETF. Currently that wouldn't cover mine, but then I'm not wanting to switch back.

In your case, since 2 Hoppers and 3 Joeys are doing well for you, you could either go for a Genie and 4 client boxes, but many reports are that it isn't a good way. Most issues I have seen reported are using the HR34/44 w/the Cxx boxes vice Hxx or HRxx boxes. Advantage is that there would be no upfront cost.

With a Genie and Hxx or HRxx you would have upfront costs of about $99 or $199 per additional box. Possibly a mix of Genie, Hxx or HRxx and Cxx boxes might be more than good enough and help reduce the upfront costs.

BTW, can you go down to just the welcome pack and still fulfill your contractual requirement? I thought it had to be a bit more than that.

If I send the hopper back and reactivate my 625 they say I can! But directv is wanting way to much upfront no new cust deal since I was with them since 06. I can reactivate for 600 bucks in new equipment.

If I send the hopper back and reactivate my 625 they say I can! But directv is wanting way to much upfront no new cust deal since I was with them since 06. I can reactivate for 600 bucks in new equipment.

Whats wrong with Dish? I read a while back that you had minor problems with your experience with the tech they sent out.

In your case, since 2 Hoppers and 3 Joeys are doing well for you, you could either go for a Genie and 4 client boxes, but many reports are that it isn't a good way.
The problem here is that the Genie will only drive four TVs (the TV it is HDMI connected to and three Genie Minis).

I guess I'll be the one to ask the question of whether or not one can know that DIRECTV will necessarily be better given the new hardware model (limited to one Genie).

Getting a Genie, at least one HD-DVR and some clients may be a wash with the win-back offer if you scale the DISH setup back to a HD receiver and the lowest qualifying TV package.

The problem here is that the Genie will only drive four TVs (the TV it is HDMI connected to and three Genie Minis).

I guess I'll be the one to ask the question of whether or not one can know that DIRECTV will necessarily be better given the new hardware model (limited to one Genie).

Getting a Genie, at least one HD-DVR and some clients may be a wash with the win-back offer if you scale the DISH setup back to a HD receiver and the lowest qualifying TV package.

Technically the genie system will run 9 tv's. the genie and then 8 clients but only 4 can be watched at the same time

The fact that you were a sub back in '06 has nothing to do with you not getting New sub deal.

They have re signed people up after a few years and given New deals.

What other issues there may be are unknown at this time.

Technically the genie system will run 9 tv's. the genie and then 8 clients but only 4 can be watched at the same time
It doesn't matter how many TVs you can connect if you can only watch four at a time; especially since they charge for each and every connection whether you can use it or not.

It doesn't matter how many TVs you can connect if you can only watch four at a time; especially since they charge for each and every connection whether you can use it or not.

Yeah, actually their is. You stated it would only drive 4 tv's and it has the option to drive 9. Your advice is solid, your words are poor

Yeah, actually their is. You stated it would only drive 4 tv's and it has the option to drive 9. Your advice is solid, your words are poor

Only if you like paying for things you can't use all at the same time, then his words are golden! :)

I had forgotten that the Genie could only drive 4 TVs, Hopper has similar limitations. So it appears that if you want to drive more than 4 tvs at once, then you have to adjust your equipment a bit.

With Dish 2 Hopper plus whatever Joeys should cover 8 TVs, though there might be some contention issues with some viewers.

With Direct, since they won't activate 2 Genies on one system, you'd have to have a mix of Genie, Genie clients and Hxx or HRxx boxes, at a bigger upfront cost most likely.

It should be readily apparent that those that like to switch, like me, need to not be running a slew of simultaneous tv viewing or the upfront costs would eat up any other potential savings.

To the OP, you were asked what you didn't like about your Dish setup, but have not given any answer. I'm curious. From a hardware standpoint I would think that Dish's quicker operation, external HD support superiority would be big plusses. Programming (HD especially) would be a consideration I suppose, but I would think you would have considered those differences before you switched to Dish.

I know I did, and it was a trade-off. I got some things in HD that I wanted that D* didn't have, like Epix and Reelz HD, but lost SHO Extreme (boxing prelims) in HD. And I think Fuel is in HD on D* and not on E*. Overall I felt it a good trade off and I do enjoy the 2 Hopper setup I have.

Since 2006 isn't the same as cancelled in 2006. I get the feeling the OP is only months out of a relationship with DIRECTV.

That shouldn't be an issue. I'm only a few months with Dish now (about 6) and I've gotten 'comeback' offers every week from D*. Free equipment (depending on config), new customer programming discounts and an 'up to' $200 rebate for the ETF if I so chose.

And I was only with D* for a bit less than 2 years to boot! Of course, I subscribed to NFLST, had at minimum 2 Premiums on at once, though usually I had 'Ultimate' or whatever it was called that had all the channels. That might be the difference.

The fact that you were a sub back in '06 has nothing to do with you not getting New sub deal.

They have re signed people up after a few years and given New deals.

What other issues there may be are unknown at this time.

I was a sub from 06 till sept 12 when I went to dish.

Called again today. 299.99 for the genie and 69 a piece for the clients. At most I only use 3 TVs at a time so a genie and 3 clients would be fine. The reason for the 2nd hopper was so I could record more at one time than 2 shows and watch one channel.

You are getting horrible offers from DirecTV imo.

Try emailing the office of the president from the website and tell them what you want and what you've been offered and emphasize that you aren't happy with the offers. Worst case it won't change anything, but if you have the luck I did when I did it, you'll get something a hell of a lot better than that.

What did you subscribe to when you were with Direct? If you were in a minimal package when you were with them, that could be part of why you're not getting good offers.

Now back to weak signal. I've not seen that be an issue in a proper installation with either service, something is amiss if you're not getting good signal with little loss of viewing during some bad weather.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts