Water in the connection area on an actuator

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jmc98

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 11, 2005
32.750N 97.488W Fort worth Tx
Will water getting inside the actuator where the wires connect hurt anything ?, and how to prevent it from happening again ?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

It can get in at times. It can corrode the screw terminals. Coating them with dielectric jelly and wrapping the outside cover with electric tape helps.

Don't know what actuator you're working with but on my Von Weise movers I drill a SMALL hole (1/16" or so) in the BOTTOM of that cover to allow water out should it find it's way in. The Super Jack movers I've seen already have a narrow slot made into the bottom of that cover for that purpose.

It is a super jack and I saw narrow slot and I think all the water drained out I thinking of taking the cover off and letting the sun dry out the motor connections

The petroleum jelly is a great idea. I often spray connections with silicone lubricant (aerosol can) which repels water and doesn't seem to affect plastic/rubber wire insulation etc, but only as the last step as you don't want an insulating substance in between contact areas.

Spraying the terminal strip with WD40 also helps and isn't quite as messy as the jelly. I do use the jelly in all my coax connections though and over the past 14 years it's worked well.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)