Ways to watch new Bones, House online if the Tribune dispute continues?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jhetfield99

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
NW Indianapolis
Hey fellas, I'm in Indy and after all signs pointed to a deal getting done (as generally happens with Direct), apparently Tribune pulled the rug out from under Direct so we can keep our local Fox.

Anyway, do you guys have suggestions on websites we can go to for watching shows like Bones, House and Fringe right away on the web?

If you go to Fox's website, they only allow immediate online show watching for providers who have deals with them (Verizon and DISH are listed). After 8 days it unlocks for all to watch. I'm fine waiting 8 days, but apparently it is not for my wife who likes to go to all of the tv show gossip websites.

When you go to the DirecTV promises website that describes other alternatives for watching programs during the Tribune fiasco, it discusses baseball, but little else, and we don't care about baseball.

We have an OTA antenna we have as back up during bad storms but we have family activities all Monday night. It's why we love DVR, unfortunately, not available here

Hey fellas, I'm in Indy and after all signs pointed to a deal getting done (as generally happens with Direct), apparently Tribune pulled the rug out from under Direct so we can keep our local Fox.

Anyway, do you guys have suggestions on websites we can go to for watching shows like Bones, House and Fringe right away on the web?

If you go to Fox's website, they only allow immediate online show watching for providers who have deals with them (Verizon and DISH are listed). After 8 days it unlocks for all to watch. I'm fine waiting 8 days, but apparently it is not for my wife who likes to go to all of the tv show gossip websites.

When you go to the DirecTV promises website that describes other alternatives for watching programs during the Tribune fiasco, it discusses baseball, but little else, and we don't care about baseball.

We have an OTA antenna we have as back up during bad storms but we have family activities all Monday night. It's why we love DVR, unfortunately, not available here

You don't have youir OTA antenna hooked up to your D* recvr ?
With an AM-21 OTA tuner you should be able to record your OTA shows, including FOX.

You don't have youir OTA antenna hooked up to your D* recvr ?
With an AM-21 OTA tuner you should be able to record your OTA shows, including FOX.

I'm as un-tech as it gets. I didn't realize I could hook up the over the air through the direct receiver and DVR. I'll try and figure that out tonight. Any trick s to it? Or is it as simple as hooking up to the receiver and the OTA overides my lack of my local feed?

I'd always jsut had the OTA antenna hooked up as a back up for when rained really bad and we needed the local TV to watch for storm warnings and such.

I'm as un-tech as it gets. I didn't realize I could hook up the over the air through the direct receiver and DVR. I'll try and figure that out tonight. Any trick s to it? Or is it as simple as hooking up to the receiver and the OTA overides my lack of my local feed?

I'd always jsut had the OTA antenna hooked up as a back up for when rained really bad and we needed the local TV to watch for storm warnings and such.

You probably can't just plug in the antenna. Look first if it has an actual antenna in, a few models actually did. For most models, the AM-21 tuner is an extra piece of hardware you probably need to get from DirecTV to be able to run the OTA through your DVR if it isn't already capable. It works pretty much in the same manner as those little OTA boxes they were pushing for people without HD capable tvs before the big switch to broadcast digital. But the AM-21 is made to be controlled by the DirecTV DVR.

Last edited:

You probably can't just plug in the antenna. Look first if it has an actual antenna in, a few models actually did. For most models, the AM-21 tuner is an extra piece of hardware you probably need to get from DirecTV to be able to run the OTA through your DVR if it isn't already capable. It works pretty much in the same manner as those little OTA boxes they were pushing for people without HD capable tvs before the big switch to broadcast digital. But the AM-21 is made to be controlled by the DirecTV DVR.

Then HR20's were the last ones that D* put out that had the OTA tuners built in, if it's newer (HR21--25) you'll need a AM21 to pull in the signal and integrate it to the D* recvr.

You should be able to get one from D* or online ... try site sponsor Dishstore, ask for Claude, member here.
Tell him your from Sat guys.

You can also get them elsewhere online if you wish, I'm sure Solid Signal has them as well.

Then HR20's were the last ones that D* put out that had the OTA tuners built in, if it's newer (HR21--25) you'll need a AM21 to pull in the signal and integrate it to the D* recvr.

You should be able to get one from D* or online ... try site sponsor Dishstore, ask for Claude, member here.
Tell him your from Sat guys.

You can also get them elsewhere online if you wish, I'm sure Solid Signal has them as well.

It is an old HR-20. I'll give it a shot and report back. Do I go throug ha diff input?

It is an old HR-20. I'll give it a shot and report back. Do I go throug ha diff input?

After you hook it up ... OTA connection to OTA input on back then:

Menu/Settings/Sat and Antenna/Antenna Set Up.

Then it will prompt you for your zip code, if you are close enough to get more than one city, also do the Secondary option.

Once it populates you can edit the ones you want in the guide, I drop some of the low power stuff.

Your OTA signal will then be able to be recorded OTA and show up in your guide.

No need to change inputs for OTA anymore !

Jimbo we are loading. If this works you will have made my day. And just think I wanted to boot my HR-20 when I got a newer, better one when I re-upped 18-ish months ago (HR24-500). I mean the old one had like a quarter of the storage space.

House will be on USA channel about a week to a week 1/2 after the OTA episode. Bones is on TNT but don't know the delay on it.

Yep, I noticed that as well for Bones.

Also Family Guy that was new tonight will be on Cartoon Network - 296 (technically adult swim) on 4/9 somewhere in the 11 ET timeframe I believe.

and Jimbo, it's official, you kick major ass. I get several cool channels I didn't bother with before since I had to flip OTA inputs, couldn't DVR, and it was only on our upstairs TV we don't use as much. Now I can simply record something upstairs, OTA, and then review it with whole-home-DVR. I love my Direct! Go to hell Tribune, Satellite Guys and friends trumped you losers strategy.

PS I now feel bad for being a Buckeye hater. They are my conference for sworn enemy (Purdue fan to the core here :) You

Jimbo we are loading. If this works you will have made my day. And just think I wanted to boot my HR-20 when I got a newer, better one when I re-upped 18-ish months ago (HR24-500). I mean the old one had like a quarter of the storage space.

and Jimbo, it's official, you kick major ass. I get several cool channels I didn't bother with before since I had to flip OTA inputs, couldn't DVR, and it was only on our upstairs TV we don't use as much. Now I can simply record something upstairs, OTA, and then review it with whole-home-DVR. I love my Direct! Go to hell Tribune, Satellite Guys and friends trumped you losers strategy.

PS I now feel bad for being a Buckeye hater. They are my conference for sworn enemy (Purdue fan to the core here :) You

I would give it a few more days for Directv to strike a deal, they usually resolve issues quickly.

Great to see you get everything going there :)

Not sure what DVR you were referring to above, the HR20's had 320 GB hard drives, the HR24's have 500 GB HD's and you can always add a External HD (esata only) to either of them.

If you need a AM21 for the HR24, the guy in the post here Claude is the person I was referring to, he's at Site Sponsor Dishstore, ask for him, let him know your from here. :) (or any other D* equipment)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts