WCCB Charlotte, NC To Lose Its Fox Affiliation

Fox bought 2 stations
Fox Television Stations is buying Capitol Broadcasting’s two stations in the market: WJZY (CW) and WMYT (MNT).

So Fox will go to one station (presumably WJZY) and WYMT will stay with My Network. Looking at FCC info WJZY broadcasts at 1 million watts whereas WMYT is only 225000 watts. Antenna height is about the same

Interesting as WJZY has 3 subchannels right now
AntennaTV on -2
This on -3
Country on -4

Since Fox O&O will be getting the new "Movies!" network the assumption that those subchannels will either leave or get shifted to the other station will happen

WMYT has 2 subchanels. Sonlife (Jimmy Swaggert Network) on -3 and a SD counterpart on -2

Yea,WMYT ota here is next to impossible.WJZY comes in pretty solid.

Reminds me of WCYB in Bristol,not sure who the parent company is,anyway,WCYB runs or owns WEMT,and the CW channel.

Tehar, do you get any stations from TN? I'm only 15 miles ACF from the towers and get zilch.

Very little.I can pull in WCYB in one or two spots,and it isn't a reliable signal.The others such as WJHL WKPT nadda.Since getting Charter internet I can now get WCYB,and WJHL via clear qam.Only sd though.

WCYB...I grew up with them, and always liked Johnny Wood Pecker Gnat...ur...um...I mean Johnny Wood.:D I'll never forget when he got tongue tied and referred to Johnson City as Johnson Titty. He turned every known shade of red. LOL

WCYB...I grew up with them, and always liked Johnny Wood Pecker Gnat...ur...um...I mean Johnny Wood.:D I'll never forget when he got tongue tied and referred to Johnson City as Johnson Titty. He turned every known shade of red. LOL

Yep,always woke up with wood in the mornings.:eek: When I was still in school WCYB was the main channel to get Avery County school closings from.There wasn't a scroll at the bottom of the screen,always waited with bated breath to hear Johnny say they are closed.I still say neilsen needs to add WCYB as a significantly viewed channel in Avery,Mitchell,and Watauga counties.Never happen though.

I'm pretty sure that they are considered significantly viewed already. IIRC, if we ever lose WCNC, they'll give us WCYB. A shame that we can't get both, like Charter and Skybest TV already provide.

it is. Per the FCC site these are SV in Avery County, NC

Avery
WBTV, 3, Charlotte, NC
WSOC-TV, 9, Charlotte, NC
WCYB-TV, 5, Bristol, VA

The only reason I can think of is Tri Cities locals are MPEG4 only (so HD only) whereas Charlotte has both SD & HD versions

Man it sure would be nice if Dish or DTV for that matter could add WCYB for us.The weather and announcements are much more local to us than WCNC.

Dish wont be able to until they get it resolved with the FCC.

It dates back to 06 when DIsh lost the ability to provide ANY local outside of your area (the whole distants thing).
A couple years ago the FCC and DIsh agreed to lift the ban as long as DIsh provided the rest of the SD locals they didnt have.

Dish can only import a station if you are a short market (missing an affiliate)....they can't do SV. The one exception is WMUR in NH. That is a law that any NH resident can get it regardless of market.

Dish wont be able to until they get it resolved with the FCC.

It dates back to 06 when DIsh lost the ability to provide ANY local outside of your area (the whole distants thing).
A couple years ago the FCC and DIsh agreed to lift the ban as long as DIsh provided the rest of the SD locals they didnt have.

Dish can only import a station if you are a short market (missing an affiliate)....they can't do SV. The one exception is WMUR in NH. That is a law that any NH resident can get it regardless of market.

Yea I recall that debacle.DTV hasn't made any attempts to do it either.There are a lot of folks around here that get upset after getting sat installed,realizing they can't get WCYB.

Back to WCCB - while I do hate to see WCCB lose Fox as well the inevitable loss of employment for their staff, I am looking forward to seeing a new, strong news outlet to compete with the other stations in town. WCCB only has local news in the early (weekday) mornings and at 10pm nightly. Their 10pm news ranks either #1 or #2 - out of the three that do 10:00 news. Their early morning news show is a dismal 4th (last) place. I am confident that a Fox O&O station will have a strong news department and will have news morning, Noon, 5pm-7pm, and 10pm (weekdays) and give the other guys in town competition like they haven't seen in years. So, if the new Fox46 WJZY's news will look anything similar to WAGA (Fox5) Atlanta, I'm looking forward to the competition it's going to give WBTV, WSOC, and WCNC. I believe this move (come this summer) is going to shake-up the entire market, not just the loss WCCB will feel.

Eric

Back to WCCB - while I do hate to see WCCB lose Fox as well the inevitable loss of employment for their staff, I am looking forward to seeing a new, strong news outlet to compete with the other stations in town. WCCB only has local news in the early (weekday) mornings and at 10pm nightly. Their 10pm news ranks either #1 or #2 - out of the three that do 10:00 news. Their early morning news show is a dismal 4th (last) place. I am confident that a Fox O&O station will have a strong news department and will have news morning, Noon, 5pm-7pm, and 10pm (weekdays) and give the other guys in town competition like they haven't seen in years. So, if the new Fox46 WJZY's news will look anything similar to WAGA (Fox5) Atlanta, I'm looking forward to the competition it's going to give WBTV, WSOC, and WCNC. I believe this move (come this summer) is going to shake-up the entire market, not just the loss WCCB will feel.

Eric

Can't say I agree with ya there.There is already way too much news as it is now.WSOC runs news from 4:30 am until 9am jumping to WAXN for the final 2 hours.Both WBTV and WSOC run from 10pm till 11:30 weeknights between their sister stations.Then there is the afternoon news between WBTV,WSOC,and WCNC, either starts at 3:30 or 4pm and runs till 6:30pm,then WBTV runs another half hour at 7pm.Good greif that's a lot of freaking news!At the rate they are going they might as well be 24hr news stations.I suppose some folks like to watch the news,I can't stand to listen or watch it for more than 15 minutes.After the first 15 minutes,the rest of the show is just a rehash of the first 15 minutes.

Can't say I agree with ya there.There is already way too much news as it is now.WSOC runs news from 4:30 am until 9am jumping to WAXN for the final 2 hours.Both WBTV and WSOC run from 10pm till 11:30 weeknights between their sister stations.Then there is the afternoon news between WBTV,WSOC,and WCNC, either starts at 3:30 or 4pm and runs till 6:30pm,then WBTV runs another half hour at 7pm.Good greif that's a lot of freaking news!At the rate they are going they might as well be 24hr news stations.I suppose some folks like to watch the news,I can't stand to listen or watch it for more than 15 minutes.After the first 15 minutes,the rest of the show is just a rehash of the first 15 minutes.

I'm looking for a newscast which I can "camp out" at, instead of flipping around to avoid the segments or personalities of a particular channel. There are certain on-air personalities I love and others I loathe, as well as the news format of certain Charlotte stations - so much so that I DVR the weather on one station and watch the news on the other. In other words, I wish I could have my favorite personalities (news and weather), plus the news delivered in a "just the facts, ma'am" format ALL on one channel. Maybe that will happen this summer or shortly thereafter.

Yeah, like the little munchkin man 2nd string weather guy at WSOC...he creeps me out. :D

My favorite WSOC weather personalities are Keith Monday and Katie Virtue - though it was reported back around Thanksgiving that Virtue is leaving. I think WBTV has the overall best weather team in Charlotte, and I give the best weather effort award to WCNC since those poor folks seem to work with less-than-stellar technology. WBTV's news ranks "least favorite" - I like a few of their news personalities, but it's mainly their news delivery in general. How can they possibly say they're on "Your Side" which means they are on everyone's side? If I don't like their news, then they are not on my side - right?

I agree. Eric Thomas is the best anywhere.

While Eric seem like a likeable guy,wow is he ever overly dramatic when there are warnings or watches.Sometimes I worry he is going to pop a vein!It's like it his mission to strike fear in the viewers.For me Al Conklin works much better.Keith Monday isn't too bad either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)