We have decided to jump ship

jashobeam

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
When SkyAngel stops broadcasting via satellite we are going to switch over to Dish's America's Top 200. It will mean blocking about 150 channels, but we will still get:

Angel One
Daystar
ION
TBN
3ABN
HGTV
FoxNews
Hallmark Channel

Since that is a good portion of what we are getting through SkyAngel now (though at twice the cost) it's better than having nothing. Our broadband won't handle internet and IPTV, so we won't be following SkyAngel when they move. I hope after SkyAngel switches Dish will put a few more Christian channels on. I would love to also have:

LBN
Spirit
KTV
Cornerstone
TLN
Faith

I guess we will have to watch LBN and Spirit online.

Honestly, if you are going to buy such an expensive package just to block most of it - consider Glorystar. They offer a system of nothing but family-friendly, Christian programming (nothing to block) and you could still supplement it with the Dish Network Family Package if you do want a bit of secular programming. Furthermore, your monthly costs would be much less.

Also, from what I've seen, except for 4 of them (HGTV, FoxNews, Hallmark, and KTV) are available for free if you have a FTA receiver and a Big Dish with a KU (need circular for Angel1) and C-Band lnb.

Honestly, if you are going to buy such an expensive package just to block most of it - consider Glorystar. They offer a system of nothing but family-friendly, Christian programming (nothing to block) and you could still supplement it with the Dish Network Family Package if you do want a bit of secular programming. Furthermore, your monthly costs would be much less.

With the deal they are running until '08, if we drop Netflix when SkyAngel switches over it would be about $3 cheaper for us per month. Right now that's what we are planning on. I looked at Glorystar and it didn't seem to have the channels we were looking for. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong channel lineup.

other than HGTV, the rest of the channels you posted above ARE on DishFamily :)

For my DH the History Channel is the main channel he misses. If Dish Family had that and Discovery Channel it would be a better choice for us.

Also, from what I've seen, except for 4 of them (HGTV, FoxNews, Hallmark, and KTV) are available for free if you have a FTA receiver and a Big Dish with a KU (need circular for Angel1) and C-Band lnb.

A big dish isn't an option for us.

not all of them are on C-band...a few are fibred and a couple I have no clue how they're uplinked :)

Yes, I was just going by what's on his list and this was what I'd found:
Angel One - Echo 7/ku (circular)
Daystar - G10R/ku
ION - AMC1/C-Band
TBN - G25/ku
3ABN - AMC4/ku
HGTV - not fta
FoxNews - not fta
Hallmark Channel - not fta (AMC11/C-Band (audio in-the-clear only)
LBN - AMC4/ku
Spirit - AMC3/C-Band
KTV - no idea
Cornerstone - AMC4/C-Band
TLN - AMC1/C-Band
Faith - G3/C-Band

English Glorystar Channels

Quite a few of those channels are not in English.

I am also considering switching soon. Here are the Glorystar channels that I have found to be in English:

TBN www.tbn.org

Smile of a Child www.soac.com

The Church Channel www.churchchannel.org

JCTV www.jctv.org

Hope Channel www.hopetv.org

Daystar www.daystar.com

The Miracle Channel www.miraclechannel.ca

The Word Network www.thewordnetwork.com

Loma Linda Broadcasting Network, LLBN www.llbn.tv

GMTN, Gospel Music Television Network www.gmtn.info

LifeSAT www.lifesattv.org

Global Christian Network www.gcntv.org

Emmanuel TV http://emmanueltv.org

GLC www.godslearningchannel.com

3ABN www.3abn.org

LoveWorld www.loveworldchristiannetwork.org

I have to say we have been watching SMILE of a Child online and think its much better than KTV. My kids ask me to turn it on :)

I just noticed that Verizon has both those channels, and several others, on their Fios system, so my Dish/SkyAngel days may be numbered. I am definitely getting their high speed Internet, but I am not sure about the other options. :)

(15M down/2M up is worth it by itself!)

Brad

Not sure if any of it meets your needs, but directv has a $30 / mo family pack with a few more of the basic channels, like HGTV that was mentioned above.

Includes locals too no extra cost.

DIRECTV - FAMILY

Not sure if you saw that one at all

Not sure if any of it meets your needs, but directv has a $30 / mo family pack with a few more of the basic channels, like HGTV that was mentioned above.

Includes locals too no extra cost.

DIRECTV - FAMILY

Not sure if you saw that one at all

It doesn't have Angel 1 or the History Channel. I wish we could build our own packages of 40 channels for $30 a month.

I wonder if Angel 1 will still be on Dish after the SA/Dish agreement is dissolved!

I have to say other than the fact there are 3 or 4 channels that are on Galaxy 25 that just do not like to come in for some reason (Miracle Channel moving to AMC 4 was awesome!), I have to say Glorystar is great and was a great investment. And it did not take long to get used to not paying a monthly fee anymore.

On a side note, I noticed that there is a channel back on the station Liberty Channel used for their test. Seems to be a classic movies movie channel. Kind of cool to see the old black and white classics. Would have been nice to have liberty channel, but hopefully someday.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)