Weigel Broadcasting launching Start TV Network

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
PowerVU Hacker TOS STB... :(

I guess according to some, the V8 was capable of that also, but I'm not interested in doing it. If that's the case with this receiver, I'll send it back. I don't support TOS. Never did even in the BUD days, and never will. Thanks for the heads up.

Sorry, wvman... buying is supporting. It is the only way these sellers make their money.

When I found this STB, it mentioned nothing about these capabilities. Had I known, I would never have ordered it, but it will go back, just as soon as I can get it boxed up and on its way. :)

It is factory preloaded with autoroll, so TOS is enabled wether you want it or not.

Several years ago, members were posting channels that were supposedly FTA. Only to find out that the channels were actually encrypted and unknown to the hobbyist, the STB was auto rolling with the factory firmware and unscrambling!

I've never seen that one myself. Looking forward to your review! :)
It is factory preloaded with autoroll, so TOS is enabled wether you want it or not. :(

It doesn't matter. It's going back anyway. I really do appreciate the heads up. I wish I knew as much about what's out there as you do. I'd never heard of this brand, but now I know. :(

Yes, it is a shame that these companies are openly selling these STBs fully factory enabled for Theft of Service directly on Amazon and Ebay.

It is one thing for a STB to require updating or modification to enable TOS with the end user to knowingly downloading firmware or manually enter keys, but with many STBs sold today, they are delivered enabled and automatically perform the autoroll to display scramble programming without even an end user making a selection to enable the function.

Reactions: wvman
It is factory preloaded with autoroll, so TOS is enabled wether you want it or not.

Several years ago, members were posting channels that were supposedly FTA. Only to find out that the channels were actually encrypted and unknown to the hobbyist, the STB was auto rolling with the factory firmware and unscrambling!

Being fairly new to FTA, and completely uninterested in such things, I don't expect to end up with something like this. When I was selling BUD's, these types of people cost me a lot of money, and it took me a while to figure out why some of my customers were discontinuing their services. I took a very dim view of such activities. I reported the ones I knew were doing it.

Reactions: FTA4PA and Titanium
Yes, it is a shame that these companies are openly selling these STBs fully factory enabled for Theft of Service directly on Amazon and Ebay.

It is one thing for a STB to require updating or modification to enable TOS with the end user to knowingly downloading firmware or manually enter keys, but with many STBs sold today, they are delivered enabled and automatically perform the autoroll to display scramble programming without even an end user making a selection to enable the function.

I don't know if it will do any good, but I just sent a message to the seller and explained I was sending it back. I'll be interested in seeing their reply. Also sent a message to EBay as well. We'll see what their take is on it.

Reactions: FTA4PA
Let me predict how this will go...

Buyer will reply that they are unaware of any illegal function or feature and will suggest that you take delivery, because it is such a great product you will be another happy buyer.

Ebay will reply, thanking you for for providing notice on a potential violation and indicating that they will look into the matter. Case closed.
Like I said, it is sad that this is allowed and continues...

Reactions: FTA4PA and wvman
Let me predict how this will go...

Buyer will reply that they are unaware of any illegal function or feature and will suggest that you take delivery, because it is such a great product you will be another happy buyer.

Ebay will reply, thanking you for for providing notice on a potential violation and indicating that they will look into the matter. Case closed.
Like I said, it is sad that this is allowed and continues...

Sounds like you've been down this road before. :) Would Ebay be that indifferent? It will be interesting to see what comes back from both. I'll keep you posted on their replies.

Reactions: Titanium and FTA4PA
It doesn't matter. It's going back anyway. I really do appreciate the heads up. I wish I knew as much about what's out there as you do. I'd never heard of this brand, but now I know. :(
Sorry, no reviews on this POS. :(
That's understandable given the information Titanium has provided. I've always found enough channels available FTA! :)

That's understandable given the information Titanium has provided. I've always found enough channels available FTA! :)

Titanium is a handy guy to have around. I have more channels now that I can watch, but that's not a bad thing. :) I hope it continues, but I ended up in FTA for the sole purpose of getting 1 channel, Shepherd's Chapel. They rest are a bonus.

I just find it infuriating that you can get fined hundreds of dollars from bringing a Kinder Surprise chocolate egg through customs, but eBay and Amazon are openly selling those TOS boxes and nothing is happening...

Reactions: Titanium and FTA4PA
You guys are gonna love this. I just got home a few minutes ago only to find my wife had opened the package, unpacked the receiver and hooked it to my test TV in the electronics room. No coax, just an HDMI cable to the TV. She gave me a weird look and said, the damned thing won't come on. She was right, it was DOA. No visible signs of damage, just plain, old DOA. :) Now, that's as rich as it gets. :D Ya just gotta love it.

Haven't heard anything from the seller or Ebay yet, so nothing to report yet. :)

Reactions: FTA4PA
The seller contacted me late last night. He/She said, "very sorry, you send back." He went on to say the money would be returned to my account and he was sending a pick up tag. I looked at my PayPal account about 15 minutes ago and the money was there. I wasn't expecting the money to be returned until they got the STB back.

Haven't heard anything from Ebay yet. Maybe later today.

It could be interference from a sat to either side. To test that next time it happens, move your dish a few clicks to either East or West, and see if they come back.
Yes I have been trying to make sure that I am right between 99 & 103. All I can get is 99 & 103. No more 101 at all now. I also posted this in Digital 101C section about this as well.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts