Weird Problem AzBox Plus

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

N2bnfunn

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
My House
My Azbox + was working great I using 4890 firmware was working great, now I cannot recieve ABC HD channels on Galaxy 16??

I have try rebooting a few times and reloading the firmware but no luck.
The signal will lock for 3 or 4 second and then zero, but all the other channels
on that satellite work well?

Update I know what the trouble is now my power supply on my AZ box is going bad... Man these power supply on this AZ PLUS systems SUCKS... GEEZ

sounds like the power supply for the plus definitely has issues. assuming you do get replacement, I'd probably plug it into a surge protector or line conditioner to minimize the chance of the next one blowing as well.

sounds like the power supply for the plus definitely has issues. assuming you do get replacement, I'd probably plug it into a surge protector or line conditioner to minimize the chance of the next one blowing as well.

To me, is sounds like there is something about the the receiver that could be blowing power supplies. It just seems strange that not all of the PLUS receivers are having power supply problems, but those that are having problems keep blowing supplies. Ie even if the odds of getting a bad supply are high, you'd think that people would eventually get a good supply, but it seems like somehow the same people seem to be getting the bad supplies? I really suspect that there is something about the specific receivers, or perhaps more likely the way these specific receivers are hooked up, that is blowing the supplies, such as being grounded through connections to other receivers, perhaps without DC-blocks, etc. It also makes me wonder about how the European power works. Ie the power plug that goes to the Elite/Premier model isn't polarized, suggesting that the Elite/Premier receivers are not grounded at all, except through connections to other receivers, or possibly via a grounding block where the coax enters the house (assuming that someone followed NEC). If, by chance, someone grounded out at the dish instead, generating grounds that could be significantly different, I'd imagine that there could be some potential to blow power supplies, or worse. Also, an experience of my own comes to mind. I used to make my own power supplies, but once made a variable voltage supply using an auto-transformer instead of one that had an output isolated from the input. The supply worked fine as long as I was feeding isolated devices, but when I tried using it to power a device that was grounded, and the thing started smoking. Turns out I was actually creating -6 --> +6 voltage instead of 0--> +12V once the thing was no longer isolated, and I was effectively shorting out the -6 end of the supply by grounding the device under power. My memory is way foggy, but it was something like this. But the bottom line is that it makes me nervous that the Azbox power supplies aren't grounded, and it makes me wonder if the power supplies might be somehow interacting with unusual grounding combinations? But bottom line is that it's curious why the same people are blowing every supply they get, and yet apparently other people aren't having any problems.

I agree with B.J. on this issue. The odds of getting two, three or more defective power supplies from stock that die nearly right away is too phenomenal. That's like the odds of winning the power-ball lottery grand prize for three drawings in a row.

In another post, I mentioned that I have the following model power supply (which came with the original, standard PREMIUM AZBox):

S060DK12003402
INPUT: 100-240 vac @ 1500 mA
OUTPUT: 12 vdc @ 3400 mA / 24 vdc @ 800 mA

In addition to this P.S., I am using a PowerBright VC-200W step up/down transformer. This allows me to step up my 110 vac to 220 vac. Also, both output legs are isolated from ground potential. I am not elluding that this transformer is the answer to these P.S. woes, but with the above P.S., I have operated it for roughly nine months 24/7 and it has not failed.

Also, and this is really not a good thing, but currently my system is NOT grounded at any point. When I last relocated my motorized dish, I wasn't sure if it was going to be a permanent move nor was I certain where I was going to route the cable into the house, so I left the ground disconnected. It is still disconnected.

The new P.S. which came with my PREMIUM PLUS is a:

S084AQ12005002
INPUT: 100-2040 vac @ 1500 mA
OUTPUT: 12 vdc @ 5000 mA / 24 vdc @ 1000 mA

I believe this to be the model that everyone seems to be having trouble with.
I connected this P.S. to the same PowerBright step up/down transformer and left the system on for the past 24 hours. It was still operating fine when I came home today.

Again, I don't have a clue as to why so many of these power supplies are failing for others as I don't know which component or which area of the P.S. actually failed. I also don't know if the way I have my system setup will protect my or anyone's P.S. However, I simply cannot fathom this many defective power supplies being the result of poor manufacturing or substandard components. The odds are greatly against it. There must be something else causing this problem other than the latter.

RADAR

Well, here's a thought: If the machine (for example) that made capacitor X is out of calibration, or (more likely) the far eastern people who run the machine have it cranked down to use just a bit under the actual required amount of material (thus saving themselves one penny for every ten thousand capacitors produced), problems like this would be expected. Like the legendary C21 issue on the Coolsat power supply boards....

I agree with B.J. on this issue. The odds of getting two, three or more defective power supplies from stock that die nearly right away is too phenomenal. That's like the odds of winning the power-ball lottery grand prize for three drawings in a row.
{snip}
Again, I don't have a clue as to why so many of these power supplies are failing for others as I don't know which component or which area of the P.S. actually failed. I also don't know if the way I have my system setup will protect my or anyone's P.S. However, I simply cannot fathom this many defective power supplies being the result of poor manufacturing or substandard components. The odds are greatly against it. There must be something else causing this problem other than the latter.

RADAR

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)