Weird VOOM problem

delgadil

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
Hello all,

I have a weird problem with my VOOM system. I have a Mitsubishi HDTV hooked up to my VOOM receiver and cannot watch any of the CinemaHD channels. I can get all the other HD channels (e.g. HDNews, DiscoveryHD, MOOV, etc.) but whenever I try to change the channel to a CinemaHD channel, my TV flickers as if it is trying to change the resolution mode, and then goes into "blue screen" mode. After that I cannot get ANY channels unless I power-cycle the VOOM box. :( Anybody see this problem? Any tips?

Thanks,
Kevin

At what resolution do you have the VOOM box set? What is the native resolution of your TV? I guess by power-cycle, you mean you rebooted the receiver by unpluging it?

rang1995 sez:
""try using 1080, or 720 on those--they are doing some work on things"
--- I've never had to set the resolution/mode, my TV has always just switched automatically.. Actually, I don't even know how to manually do this.
Is VOOM doing something weird on these channels?

Sean Mota sez:
"At what resolution do you have the VOOM box set? What is the native resolution of your TV? I guess by power-cycle, you mean you rebooted the receiver by unpluging it?"

-- Good question, I have the VOOM box at whatever the default is from the installation. I know that's a lame answer; how I find out? My TV supports all the major formats : 480i, 480p, 1080i, etc. It shows 1080i when I get an HD picture. I've never set a default because in the past the TV has always set itself automatically to the proper format depending on the signal. For example, 480i for Comcast cable, 480p for DVD, 1080i for HD.

Yes, I have tried rebooting the box by trying both the power button and then unplugging the VOOM box for 30 seconds, then plugging it back in. I haven't done a formal factory reset though as I don't remember all the steps. Maybe that's the ticket?

Thanks for your help!
Kevin

According to Wilt:

I checked on this. Yes, the cinema channels were stepped down this week. We're getting ready to do some encoder board and multiplexer upgrades over the next weeks and this, apparently, was necessary to get started.
I would have warned you all but I lost track with the traveling I've been doing.
No other services will be effected--at least the ones we originate and control the ultimate resolution on--by this.
Remember though, some OTA channels likely use 720, or will, as do other services--some of which we're not carrying yet, so "native" mode may be something to watch out for especially since not all HD's are capable of accepting 720 in.
I'd run at locked 1080i for a while, until we're done, in terms of our services but the caution regarding others still remains.
Sorry about the surprise and any anxiety but the new encoder upgrades will fix the intermittent breakups we've been getting on most of them and the new mux will allow us to make better use of our bandwidth and make things a bit less tight--5 to 10% pickup, so that's good too.
Wilt

Having said that, you need to set the box to output 1080i only. There is a red button in front of the receiver. see this picture Here

You need to press this button, as you press it you will see the red lights lit.

The resolution goes like this:

To get a standard 1080i output when the top long light (in front of the receiver) is lit,

720p for the next light below it,

480p below that and 480i for the light below that. The next push of the red button puts you in a 'native output' mode (where all lights briefly flash) which will output whatever the resolution of the broadcast is.

Get it to 1080i. That is only the top light is lit.

Hi Sean,

Thanks for the info. I will try this. Many thanks for your help!

Kevin

Sean Mota said:
According to Wilt:

Having said that, you need to set the box to output 1080i only. There is a red button in front of the receiver. see this picture Here

You need to press this button, as you press it you will see the red lights lit.

The resolution goes like this:

To get a standard 1080i output when the top long light (in front of the receiver) is lit,

720p for the next light below it,

480p below that and 480i for the light below that. The next push of the red button puts you in a 'native output' mode (where all lights briefly flash) which will output whatever the resolution of the broadcast is.

Get it to 1080i. That is only the top light is lit.

One more question:

If I lock it to 1080i as you explain above, will I need to manually set it to 480i for SD programming (e.g. non-HD channels)?

Thanks,
Kevin

delgadil said:
One more question:

If I lock it to 1080i as you explain above, will I need to manually set it to 480i for SD programming (e.g. non-HD channels)?

Thanks,
Kevin

I have a mitsu and voom and my box is hard set at 1080i. You have your choice in the voom configuration to "stretch" sd or use a "pillar box" and it will set them accordingly. I switch back and forth because I can't make my mind up.

VewDew said:
I have a mitsu and voom and my box is hard set at 1080i. You have your choice in the voom configuration to "stretch" sd or use a "pillar box" and it will set them accordingly. I switch back and forth because I can't make my mind up.

Cool, where is this configuration? If I lock it to 1080i, what's the default for SD -- stretched or pillar? I'd prefer stretched to avoid image burn-in (I already have a problem with this from watching Fox News all the time -- that sux).

Thanks,
Kevin

delgadil said:
Cool, where is this configuration? If I lock it to 1080i, what's the default for SD -- stretched or pillar? I'd prefer stretched to avoid image burn-in (I already have a problem with this from watching Fox News all the time -- that sux).

Thanks,
Kevin

Press the VOOM Button.
Press the green button. This will bring you to another menu. select settings.
this bring 8 choices. Select VIDEO output (you can always cancel).

in the video output you will see the following screen:

attachment.php

Sean Mota said:
Press the VOOM Button.
Press the green button. This will bring you to another menu. select settings.
this bring 8 choices. Select VIDEO output (you can always cancel).

in the video output you will see the following screen:

attachment.php

Hi Sean,

Great news, your suggested fix solved my problem. Actually forcing everything to 1080i seems to make non-HD channels look better as well. I'm gonna just leave it set this way. Thanks again for your help!

Kevin

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)