Well I just

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sceavis

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 20, 2005
left direct after 6 months.I am not going to sit here and bash them because they were not that bad.My issue was the mpeg 4 in the Boston area.They need to fix that. Like everybody else I want more HDTV I was planning on waiting it out till the new birds were up .I got sick of the audio drop outs and the lip sync issue.I am not sure what i am going to do next. Maybe back to cable I have charter around here and it stinks but there is no contract and watch what pans out with the two dish's.Or go to E I would like to because of the more hd. But I am not to happy about the two dish idea either will see. I want to make the right move what ever it is.Any Thoughts?

Truth is NOBODY has MPEG4 working correctly or to its full potential yet.

MPEG4 is supposed to allow more channels using less bandwidth, however the the moment its using about the same amount of space as MPEG2 (and looks like crap to boot)

I can't tell you who or what to choose thats a decission you need to make on your own, my suggestion is read read read so you make an informed decission which is best for you.

Yea scott

I know what u mean. That the bad part about trying new stuff .And thats why i was thinking about cable.Untill it is all worked out

I dont know about you, but time warner in my area is not bad (I know you dont have them available to you) but cable is not a bad option to get to just wait and see what happens with satellite companies, plus next year Directv will have more sats up, so you just never know! But like Scott said, the best thing to do, is read and make a INFORMED decision.

With charter I get basic analog plus these hd for 72 a month with out any dvr ofcorse the movie channels are extra.The pq was not bad last time i had them.

ESPN HD
nesn
Discovery
HBO
Showtime
Cinemax
PBS
CBS
ABC
Fox
nbc
Universal
TNT

Also remember that because (insert cable company name here) is good in one area does not mean it will be good in another area. Also dont judge the quality by going to the cable company and using their demo units. :)

What are we comparing?

DirecTV TC+ $50 add HD $10
For a $60 total (save $12)

TNT
ESPN
ESPN2
Universal
HDNet
HDNet Movies
HD PPV
CD One
CBS
NBC
FOX
ABC
PBS
HBO (xtra)
Showtime (xtra)
Access to NFL ST and ST HD (xtra)

Scott Greczkowski said:
Also remember that because (insert cable company name here) is good in one area does not mean it will be good in another area. Also dont judge the quality by going to the cable company and using their demo units. :)

I understand that trust me I do, I moved 3-4 miles away from my old house, and Time warner sucked! LOL. I Think if people have a chance though, it might be best to move on to something for a little while, Scott I think you will agree. we have seen negative posts go up 50% this last year as both companies are in a transition (yes directv has alot more negative :) ) but I think people want everything to be 100% perfect all the time while these companies strive to fufill the demand put on them by both the consumer, and media industry. So a breath of fresh air, see whats out there and the best for you, and move on, then when you are ready for a commitment or a change look to see what the sat. companies offer.

I know direct is cheaper but there is no contract with cable. plus issues on a daily basis with the new set up.I had techs take a look replaced the h20.its just bugs that need to be fixed.

I would knock on doors, ask the neighbors, take a look see. Get whatever you can for the time being, you may even be happy with what you get! I would be so bummed if I had gone to the MPEG4 when if first started here in Columbus and expecting everything to work so well and be better only to find that things just didn't work. I hope D* took care of you. Good Luck!

rkr0923 said:
extra TV on cable $0
D* $4.99

Basically, however, if you want digital cable in every room than you got to fork out cash for each tv. In my area it's close to $9! So if you pay for hbo and have more than 1 tv, it's really not worth it to just have one box. I think this is really hidden by the cable companies. sure you can have as many as you want on analog but most of the good channels are digital. one day you will need a digital box in every room and at $9 a room that will add up. Than again when you sign up for service it's usually free unlike a sat company where you have an out of pocket expense of a couple hundred for an hd dvr. it probally works out cheaper for cable for short term in the long run, assuming you don't upgrade sat may come out cheaper, especially with lower programming costs\fees.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)