Well.... I'm returning the H20

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SFPegasus

Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
San Francisco
Maybe it's just me, but the only thing this thing has going for it is the incredible OTA tuner.

First of all, I only bought the unit because I blew up my HD100. I know some of you have waited a long time for your HD, and this really is the only answer you're going to get for awhile. I have the benefit of excellent OTA, so I had no reason to change my dish or box (other than it blowing up) and I'm still on the 3LNB.

I have a terrific 42" Panny and initially I found the H20 picture quality grainy and foggy, so I exchanged it for another with the same results. Best Buy was quite accomodating and they had plenty in stock. I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but I had much better results with the Sony. Maybe the Sony and Panny are a better match than the H20 and the Panny.

For those of you wondering if different units have different initial software, the answer is "yes". The first unit required several attempts to update software to the current version, the second came out of the sealed box with the current version.

Even though this thing is still quite new, it seems to be besieged by problems that really make it an annoying unit, particularly the guides/filters, rebooting and acquiring data. I haven't even gotten into the audio problems, but I can only imagine the frustration you guys have experienced. This is not what I expected out of the "next generation" box.

Maybe when they work the bugs out I'll reconsider. Hopefully by the time they get the DVR box out some of these issues will be resolved. Until then, this thing is going back to Best Buy and I'll attempt to get out of my 2 year committment with DTV. For now I'm spending my time on eBay looking for an HD300 or LS3200.

SFPegasus said:
Maybe it's just me, but the only thing this thing has going for it is the incredible OTA tuner.
First of all, I only bought the unit because I blew up my HD100. I know some of you have waited a long time for your HD, and this really is the only answer you're going to get for awhile. I have the benefit of excellent OTA, so I had no reason to change my dish or box (other than it blowing up) and I'm still on the 3LNB.
I have a terrific 42" Panny and initially I found the H20 picture quality grainy and foggy, so I exchanged it for another with the same results. Best Buy was quite accomodating and they had plenty in stock. I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but I had much better results with the Sony. Maybe the Sony and Panny are a better match than the H20 and the Panny.
You must have gotten a bad box, because there are hundreds of us who are extremely impressed with the H20, and feel its the best HD box ever built. The PQ is unsurpassed to anything built to date.

I agree with pegasus. Once you have used a Sony sat HD300 or a LG3200A (I own both) the H20 does not compare picture or feature wise. the stretch modes are to die for.

Rick

Rick0725 said:
I agree with pegasus. Once you have used a Sony sat HD300 or a LG3200A (I own both) the H20 does not compare picture or feature wise. the stretch modes are to die for.
Rick
I had one of the HD300's and I still feel (as do the dozen or so viewers who have seen both at my location) that the H20 PQ is superior.

H10

Just got a H10 a week ago,now since i got on this site i hear that its no good ?Whats good and bad about it.

G.O.B. said:
Just got a H10 a week ago,now since i got on this site i hear that its no good ?Whats good and bad about it.
The H10 is MPEG2 technology and the future is MPEG4 other than that the H10 is OK and you will probably get a free upgrade when you need the AT9 dish and MPEG4.:)

SFPegasus said:

For those of you wondering if different units have different initial software, the answer is "yes". The first unit required several attempts to update software to the current version, the second came out of the sealed box with the current version.

Even though this thing is still quite new, it seems to be besieged by problems that really make it an annoying unit, particularly the guides/filters, rebooting and acquiring data. I haven't even gotten into the audio problems, but I can only imagine the frustration you guys have experienced. This is not what I expected out of the "next generation" box.

Maybe when they work the bugs out I'll reconsider. Hopefully by the time they get the DVR box out some of these issues will be resolved. Until then, this thing is going back to Best Buy and I'll attempt to get out of my 2 year committment with DTV. For now I'm spending my time on eBay looking for an HD300 or LS3200.
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I have a Huges HTL-HD in great condition that i would be willing to part with. Let me know

pradike said:
I had one of the HD300's and I still feel (as do the dozen or so viewers who have seen both at my location) that the H20 PQ is superior.

Well, you also call 1280x1080i Glorious HD. That should tell him something about your analysis of the H20.

vurbano said:
Well, you also call 1280x1080i Glorious HD. That should tell him something about your analysis of the H20.

What's E*'s Voom running at now???;)

rad said:
What's E*'s Voom running at now???;)

I think they are reporting 1280x1080i but I dont sub to Dish. But if anyone wants to paypal me 2 grand for my D* equipment Id be happy to sign up. At least I could get some channels in real HD resolution.

Last edited:
pradike said:
Looks great here. Sorry to hear you have less than that.
A third of the Picture resolution thrown away, the bitrate reduced and the leftovers blown up to 106" and you cant see a difference. Do you watch through coke bottle glasses?:confused:

vurbano said:
I think they are reporting 1280x1080i but I dont sub to Dish. But if anyone wants to paypal me 2 grand for my D* equipment Id be happy to sign up. At least I could get some channels in real HD resolution.

Try E-Bay, I sold my Sony SAT-HD300 for $355 last week, paid $300 for it new.

vurbano said:
A third of the Picture resolution thrown away, the bitrate reduced and the leftovers blown up to 106" and you cant see a difference. Do you watch through coke bottle glasses?:confused:
Isn't it interesting that the dozens of folks who have seen D*TV HD in my setup have agreed to a person that the HD PQ is the "best they've ever seen".

While none of them was duped into the Voom fiasco, they all do represent Comcrap, Dish, and Charter with their own HD setups, and 4-5 of them are running over 100K in HD projectors and video enhancers. In the case of the cable HD broadcast comparisons, the PQ advantage of D*TV isn't even close - D*TV wins hands down.

In case you are interested, HD is defined as 720p and 1080i resolutions, both of which are supported by D*TV. With knock-your-socks-off PQ, I am not only very happy with their HD, I am thrilled - and so is everyone else who sees it here.

Like anything else, PQ can be a subjective thing, but when you have over 2 dozen people agree 100% on seeing the same thing, there's some substance behind it. Just yesterday, while watching the 1st half of MNF on ABC HD at one of my neighbor's HT locations (with a $40,000 three eyed monster projector that was just ISF tuned), the PQ wasn't even in the same league. I went home and saw the second half in my HT, and loved it - far better PQ (and sound for that matter).

Would it be nice to reduce the downrezzing, sure, but that will be addressed via the new MPEG4 stuff and the increased D*TV bandwidth/capacity.

Sorry to hear you are not happy with your PQ, but life (and HD viewing) is great on this side of the HD fence, and its only going to get better....

Happy holidays.

pradike said:
You must have gotten a bad box, because there are hundreds of us who are extremely impressed with the H20, and feel its the best HD box ever built. The PQ is unsurpassed to anything built to date.

PQ may be ok, but the unit lacks many of the features of the older units. It is watered down as far as features are concerned. My HTL-HD puts it to shame.

h20 sucks for now

i agree with lou i've had d* from 96 and its the worst out of the box.
i added voom and that was great better than this, now i have direct and dish,

the voom channels look alot better than the one's on my h-20,
the h-20 menu's move slow and some of the PQ were better on my h-10

i heard there's a software upgrade how do i get it?

but i will keep the h-20 til they work it out

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts