OTHER Wetek play 2

Shicks4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 29, 2015
Kansas
Any one here currently using the wetek play 2 in North America for dvbs2, and if so how does it do? Does it do ok on 4K, and are there any signals it has issues with? Seems as though the new Manhattan box is delayed again and I'm looking for a 4K box and at the price for a play 2 it's better then other offerings, if it indeed works. Thanks!

It's like every receiver in this hobby, some things good, some things bad, some things stupid...

All in all, I like it. 4K recordings on 4K TVs are spectacular. I can only play out 1080p live at my house and it looks great on the 4K channels and good on HD. But like I said, 4K recordings played on 4K TVs are spectacular. No 4:2:2 of course.
I bought it to capture the early 4K transmissions for future playback.

For the good:
Plays & records 4K content.
Will output 60i or 60p, but you have to have a TV that will see 50i or 50p because it switches to 50p sometimes.
Tuner chips are the same as the MicroHD.
The single tuner can be swapped for a DVB-C tuner or an ATSC tuner.
The lip sync &/or distortion issue was fixed with the latest firmware (which I updated over the internet - no USB stick needed).
Wetek employees will answer questions on their forum.
It changes channels quickly, even 4K channels.
The 4K from NASA is spectacular.
It will stream channels to PCs. (mine are not fast enough to know how well it works on HD or 4K - SD is fine)
It keeps working without needing a reboot. That makes me happy.

For the not so good:
Will output 60i or 60p, but you have to have a TV that will see 50i or 50p because it switches to 50p sometimes.
I had trouble with the tuner and my US 13/18V / 0/22kHz switch. It works, but not like any other receiver I have (maybe if I set up my switch differently).
Setting up satellites is crazy (for me) if you do not use Diseqc.
The tuner will NOT do 16APSK or 32APSK. They don't think it ever will (even tho 16APSK is possible with the MicroHD - same chips)
Setting up satellites is crazy (for me) if you do not use Diseqc. 64 sats max, a problem if you use 2 sats per location, i.e., 1 C & 1 Ku.
It has a big red 'REC' in the upper right corner when recording. Annoying. I have asked for that to be removed on the Wetek forums.
There is an editor, but my PC has been down so I have not tested it.

I think it was worth the $130.

Reactions: hank123
It's like every receiver in this hobby, some things good, some things bad, some things stupid...

All in all, I like it. 4K recordings on 4K TVs are spectacular. I can only play out 1080p live at my house and it looks great on the 4K channels and good on HD. But like I said, 4K recordings played on 4K TVs are spectacular. No 4:2:2 of course.
I bought it to capture the early 4K transmissions for future playback.

For the good:
Tuner chips are the same as the MicroHD.
The single tuner can be swapped for a DVB-C tuner or an ATSC tuner.
The lip sync &/or distortion issue was fixed with the latest firmware (which I updated over the internet - no USB stick needed).
Wetek employees will answer questions on their forum.
It changes channels quickly, even 4K channels.
The 4K from NASA is spectacular.
It will stream channels to PCs. (mine are not fast enough to know how well it works on HD or 4K - SD is fine)
It keeps working without needing a reboot. That makes me happy.

For the not so good:
I had trouble with the tuner and my US 13/18V / 0/22kHz switch. It works, but not like any other receiver I have (maybe if I set up my switch differently).
Setting up satellites is crazy (for me) if you do not use Diseqc.
The tuner will NOT do 16APSK or 32APSK. They don't think it ever will (even tho 16APSK is possible with the MicroHD - same chips)
Setting up satellites is crazy (for me) if you do not use Diseqc. 64 sats max, a problem if you use 2 sats per location, i.e., 1 C & 1 Ku.
It has a big red 'REC' in the upper right corner when recording. Annoying. I have asked for that to be removed on the Wetek forums.
There is an editor, but my PC has been down so I have not tested it.

I think it was worth the $130.
So the 97w channels are a no go then if it wont do 16aspk right?