What are your favorite rivalries that your teams are involved in?

The bitter rivalry in my area is known as "The Civil War" between Oregon State University and the University of Oregon. Interstate 5 is a mess on game day.

Probably not as big as FSU .vs. UF, but a rivalry nonetheless.

I know nobody in the US cares (you don't have to tell us), but Rangers/Celtic is the rivalry that makes all rivalries on this side of the ocean seem tame.

Yankees/Red Sox, Ohio State/Michigan, Duke/North Carolina, Rangers/Islanders, Cowboys/Redskins, etc., are all tea parties amongst friends compared to the bitterness between those two teams and fan bases. There is simply nothing like it here that even comes close.

Sandra
Quite a rivalry if No one has heard of it.

Last edited:
The bitter rivalry in my area is known as "The Civil War" between Oregon State University and the University of Oregon. Interstate 5 is a mess on game day.

Probably not as big as FSU .vs. UF, but a rivalry nonetheless.

Never understood this being called the "Civil War", I could understand better if the Civil War was in Oregon, but we know it was no where near that. :rolleyes:

This was explained once before, but don't remember the outcome.

Btw, Who wants to be CIVIL anyways when playing a football game.

Just depends on how long you look at it ....
The same could be said about the Ohio State / M rivalry, if your new to it, it's really not there, but over the long haul, it's been great.

Currently, Steeler's - Raven's, Pats, Colts
Buckeye's of late, a game I really looked forward to was the games with Texas, they were VERY good games regardless of outcomes.

Thanks for reminding me.:rant::(:mad::eek:

I'll never forget, right after 9/11 there was a game at Fenway, and Red Sox fans were holding a huge sign that said 'WE ARE ALL YANKEES'. Wow.

Sandra

I remember that, The very first Home football game at Lane Stadium that year was SOLD OUT.. you couldn't buy a ticket for under $200 each maybe even more since it was such inspiring game... you just felt that you had to be there. I felt sorry for ECU coming into that game cause they knew the Hokies would take out aggression towards them and a win for the Hokies was a win for the VT Community that was a must have! I remember that whole day.. I believe tears came from watching the screen video played... just amazing!

you can imagin how moving it was in that stadium during this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQp6r0VehPM&feature=related

1. Red Sox-Yankees
2. Bruins-Canadiens
3. Celtics-Lakers
4. Patriots-Dolphins
5. Patriots-Jets
6. Celtics-76ers
7. Bruins-Sabres
8. Celtics-Pistons

Patriots-Colts has been one of the fiercest rivalries in sports the last decade, but ironically enough, when these two teams played twice a year as division rivals it was hardly a blip on the radar. I still can remember the 1981 "Toilet Bowl"....2-13 Pats at 1-14 Baltimore Colts.

Yankees/Red Sox...self explanatory.

Sandra
Bests rivalry in ANY sport. If a football, basketball, or college fan argues otherwise, then thy know nothing about sports outside their own taste.

Of course, my team's biggest rivals are the Giants. Dodgers and Giants started on the east coast and continues now on the west coast. Living in both SoCal and NoCal, I can tell you as a true blooded SoCalian, that those in NoCal take this rivalry much more seriously. Probably because the BA hates SoCal (out of jealousy of course), while us in LA can careless about NoCal.

Bests rivalry in ANY sport. If a football, basketball, or college fan argues otherwise, then thy know nothing about sports outside their own taste.

Of course, my team's biggest rivals are the Giants. Dodgers and Giants started on the east coast and continues now on the west coast. Living in both SoCal and NoCal, I can tell you as a true blooded SoCalian, that those in NoCal take this rivalry much more seriously. Probably because the BA hates SoCal (out of jealousy of course), while us in LA can careless about NoCal.

Typical Dodger Fan....:rolleyes:

Florida State vs. The U....huge! And that is it. I guess you can say that my Raiders playing Denver and KC is still very big for all three teams regardless of the records because of hate/hate relationship. When I was young, I grew up a 76ers fan the games against the Celtics in the 80s were awesome. Being a Syracuse basketball fan, games against Georgetown were ALSO very big.

OU / Nebraska

OU / Texas -- what more could you want, the State Fair, Cotton Bowl, Crimson on one side ugly Burnt orange on the other

OSU / ou -- kinda on the losing side of this one unfortunately

Dallas and anybody from the NFC East. (always love to see the Redskins, Giants and Eagles whine)

For me personally

1 - Red Sox versus Yankees
2 - Every God Damn team against the Yankees
3 - Eagles versus Cowboys or Giants
4 - UConn Women BBall versus Tennessee (whats wrong with you Pat Summit??)
5 - UConn Men BBall versus Syracuse
6 - UConn football - looking for one
7 - USA soccer versus Mexico
8 - Olympic USA hockey versus Canada
9 - Phillies versus Mets

But not to Steelers fans though. All the ones here have transferred the hatred to the Raisins. The new pseudo-Browns have been too bad to even consider a rivalry.

:up:up:up:up:up

For me it's....

Steelers-Ravens

Pens-Capitals

Pens - Flyers

One I wish they would bring back....

Pitt - Penn State

Well we know as long as that old fart is still in charge at Penn State that will never happen because he is STILL mad at Pitt.

One I wish they would bring back....

Pitt - Penn State

Well we know as long as that old fart is still in charge at Penn State that will never happen because he is STILL mad at Pitt.
Once JoPa is gone, I think they will. Especially since splitting the Big Ten into 2 divisions means they'll remain at 8 conference games, allowing for 4 OOC games.

Not to mention the money that a Pitt/Penn St. game will bring in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)