What are your Favorite Thanksgiving Day Football Memories?

Mets82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
conn.
On Thanksgiving, it's tradition or was tradition, that Detroit and Dallas would host a game. What I would like to know, since we are near Thanksgiving, do you have any Thanksgiving Day memories that you remember. For ex., in 1993 with Leon Lett of the Cowboys touching the ball and the Dolphins lining up for a field goal and winning the game.

On Thanksgiving, it's tradition or was tradition, that Detroit and Dallas would host a game. What I would like to know, since we are near Thanksgiving, do you have any Thanksgiving Day memories that you remember. For ex., in 1993 with Leon Lett of the Cowboys touching the ball and the Dolphins lining up for a field goal and winning the game.
That sucked brine water for Cowboys fans ;)

I'm a traditonalist at heart, so I NEVER want the NFL to take away Thanksgiving games from either the Lions or Cowboys (especially the Lions).
That even goes down to the start times: Detroit at 12:30ET and Dallas at 4:00ET. I hope the NFL has enough sense to NEVER change that!

Last edited:
Good thread, but some of the other people who usually respond to threads don't come on the 'Good Ole Days.'

Sandra and HD don't post on this separate area.

I'm glad you put this up, but I think it could be in the main thread.

I'll be back shortly with my Turkey Day football memories; it'll be lengthy!

I just figured that if I put this on the main thread, people would have said to put it on the Good Ole Days forum. But hey, if you want to move it or you have Thanksgiving Memories that you would like to share, go for it. The more the merrier.

I'm a tradionalist at heart, so I NEVER want the NFL to take away Thanksgiving games from either the Lions or Cowboys (especially the Lions).
That even goes down to the start times: Detroit at 12:30ET and Dallas at 4:00ET. I hope the NFL has enough sense to NEVER change that!

As soon as you said this, this popped up. I know it's just people's opinion but don't you think that people who wield enough clout have talked about this.

The506 Broadcast Maps Forum - The end of Detroit Thanksgiving games?

This will be lengthy, but here goes:

1990- Lions/Broncos- an entertaining 40-27 game with a lot of big plays

1993- Dolphins/Cowboys- Leon Lett, and snowy weather

1994- Both games. I finally got to see my Bills play, though it not only came four months AFTER my family moved from Buffalo to Wisconsin, and the Bills lost 35-21 in a battle of big plays. Later, Green Bay and Dallas played a wild 42-21 shootout with Jason Garrett (current Cowboys offensive coordinator) playing a great game in replacing injured Troy Aikman.

1995- Vikings/Lions- I hope Paul Wozniak realizes just how fun the 1995 Lions were to watch. Scott Mitchell, Herman Moore, Perriman, and that Barry Sanders guy. Those Lions won a 44-38 offensive clinic over the Vikings or Warren Moon and Cris Carter.

1996- Chiefs/Lions- Old-school running football.

1997- Both games. Detroit went ballistic in the second half in a 55-20 rout of the Bears, while the Oilers, now in Tennessee, took the first step en route to greatness by beating Dallas 27-14. That was the first sign that the Steve McNair/Eddie George team (later became the Titans) was going to be pretty damn good.

1998- Both games. I'm sure mccoy and risnuff have nightmares about that cin flip. Vikings/Cowboys was a 46-36 thriller- we all remember Randy Moss' 3 catches for 163 yards and 3 touchdowns, but Troy Aikman was no slouch himself- 455 passing yards.

2002- Redskins/Cowboys- This was basically Emmitt Smith's last truly great performance- 144 yards.

2004- Both games. Peyton Manning's finest performance in his 49 TD season- 6 in 1 game. Bears/Cowboys was an old-school game with vintage uniforms and dominant running by Thomas and Julius Jones.

2005- Broncos/Cowboys- overtime thriller.

Mets82, I have a bad feeling this thread will not get a ton of posts. This should have been in the main board.

After all, HD MM, Sandra, mccoy- they don't post in 'Good Ole Days.' Those are part of this site's backbone.

I don't know how to, but if you want to move it to the main thread, go ahead. It should be a good read anyway to see what people remember about Thanksgiving Day.

I will say the game in 98 when Jerome Bettis said Tails and he was right but still lost the toss, is a standout for me.
Honestly, I don't remember too much about Turkey Day games.
I mean I do remember the Silverdome, Barry Sanders, Herman Moore, Brett Perriman etc. but not so much the games.
I'm a Giants fan, so I don't get into the Cowboys that much but the Lions have been so bad. When was the last time they won on Thanksgiving? I also think that people eat around the Lions game so even if they were half way decent, I don't know who would watch.

Mets, how long have you been a fan of the G-Men?

I admit, I have been harsh on them, but are you old enough to remember Lawrence Taylor's pick-six in 1982 against the Lions?

1990- Lions/Broncos- an entertaining 40-27 game with a lot of big plays

1993- Dolphins/Cowboys- Leon Lett, and snowy weather

1994- Both games. I finally got to see my Bills play, though it not only came four months AFTER my family moved from Buffalo to Wisconsin, and the Bills lost 35-21 in a battle of big plays. Later, Green Bay and Dallas played a wild 42-21 shootout with Jason Garrett (current Cowboys offensive coordinator) playing a great game in replacing injured Troy Aikman.

1995- Vikings/Lions- I hope Paul Wozniak realizes just how fun the 1995 Lions were to watch. Scott Mitchell, Herman Moore, Perriman, and that Barry Sanders guy. Those Lions won a 44-38 offensive clinic over the Vikings or Warren Moon and Cris Carter.

1996- Chiefs/Lions- Old-school running football.

1997- Both games. Detroit went ballistic in the second half in a 55-20 rout of the Bears, while the Oilers, now in Tennessee, took the first step en route to greatness by beating Dallas 27-14. That was the first sign that the Steve McNair/Eddie George team (later became the Titans) was going to be pretty damn good.

1998- Both games. I'm sure mccoy and risnuff have nightmares about that cin flip. Vikings/Cowboys was a 46-36 thriller- we all remember Randy Moss' 3 catches for 163 yards and 3 touchdowns, but Troy Aikman was no slouch himself- 455 passing yards.

2002- Redskins/Cowboys- This was basically Emmitt Smith's last truly great performance- 144 yards.

2004- Both games. Peyton Manning's finest performance in his 49 TD season- 6 in 1 game. Bears/Cowboys was an old-school game with vintage uniforms and dominant running by Thomas and Julius Jones.

2005- Broncos/Cowboys- overtime thriller.

Good game choices?

I was born in 82 so no. I became a fan in 86/87 when I just started liking sports. Obviously winning the Super Bowl helped which is pretty much why I became a Giants fan. Followed them through the Ray Handley era as well as the end of the Jim Fassel era which sucked. Fassel's a nice guy and I hope he gets a job but it was time for him to go.

Glad to see the thread moved.

I hope HD, Sandra, mccoy, Paul Wozniak, Jimbo, etc. contribute. We all have seen our favorite teams play on Turkey Day once or twice in our lifetimes.

I'm sure Paul Wozniak will help. I'm still not sure who is what fan on this site. I should know by now but I get confused.
I know HD MM and Jimbo are Ohio sports fans(?) and Sandra, the anti Islanders fan but I keep forgetting who's what.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts