What do I need if I want to install my own HD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dewdude420

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
Manassas
Hey,

Well, the mishap with the tree which caused me to remount and realign my 3-lnb dish (which isn't even pointed to pick up 110 or 119 since there's nothing there I need)...and I decided if I'm going to go HD, I want to do it on my own. The installers did a lousy job of mounting the dish to the roof after getting back up there and inspecting the mount...i should reshingle but i just caulked the holes for now....since then is 2 bolts considered enough.

Anyway, my current situation is I can't really see 119 that well...it's the reason I dropped Dish and the reason they wouldn't install HD to begin with. I suppose my first question is how much crap is on 119 that I'm going to be missing. My 110 down to 101 window is excellent and I'm not sure exactly how much farther east the window is open....it all really depends where I mount the dish.

The second I'm sure I could look up, however there's a wealth of information (or maybe lack of in some cases) on the technicals of the directv stuff...and documentation is sketch.

I've basically decided I'm going to get a slimline-5 whether I need it or not just to make sure I can get everything available. Currently I have the 3-LNB 18x20 phase III dish going in to a 4x7 switch (I think it's a 4x7) via two coax leads. I plan on only really having one HD receiver, a dual-tuner sd DVR and 2...possibly 3 SD tuners (might put a TV back in my kitchen).

i've read things on the switches about requiring 4 coax lines for HD and such and this is really the question I've got. Since I've only got two coax lines run to the satellite dish (I could add a third, but a fourth would require drilling), is it possible for me to do this setup using the exsiting wiring going in to the house?

I've read about the SWM stuff and I don't think I'd really need it as I can run as many coax lines to the bedrooms as I need...but is it possible that might help me getting the signal in to my house.

I can figure this stuff out pretty well if i've got diagrams/documents of hookups....along with some possible suggestions of what I'll need.

Even though it's going to cost me more, I'd rather do my own installs from now on since I hate having them in my house to begin with...and they appear to do things as quickly as possible....even on an install where all that's required is basically connecting wires and aiming a dish.

Also, does directv have any kind of stance on self-installation? I remember sometime about 6 years ago when they got me to come back from e* (i've switched about 4 times) and they gave me a bunch of equipment I asked to do my own install and they sent me everything (plus 3 full install kits...i guess since I had 3 boxes)....the other year they wouldn't allow it. I guess what I'm wondering is how much hassle am I going to get if I call them one day and say I want to activate all this HD gear when they don't have a work-order for an installation here.

I have done all of my DTV installs for years (including HD) without a single question from them when I activate. You may want to look into the Slimline 3, which I believe uses 99, 101 and 103 since you have a 119 line of sight issue.

I have not physically seen one yet, but that could be an easy and reliable solution to your 119 issue.

Once you decide on hardware, come back with your list and the folks here will talk you through the install/aiming. There are a few tricks that will save you tons of time!
As with anything electronic or mechanical, patience is the key to a great install.

Baha: TBH, I'm not sure just how bad my 119 issue is. I know the last time I had a dish 500 every time the wind would blow anything on 119 would go glitchy....I however didn't make the effort to see if I could adjust the thing for a better signal. I do know about the position it was pointed, there is a tree or two that in the last few years has grown to be a problem.

My major concern here is I don't really know much about how the HD content is distributed to know what sats I'd need. I don't plan on having a DVR or anything...I basically want to add a HD box and get whatever dish/lnb/switch combination I need that would work with my existing wiring...I would really love to not have to drill in to the house anymore...at least not till the fios people come and put that cat5 cable in....

fed-up-installer: the installers didn't really do any more damage than I would of done...drilling in to the roof is not a big deal...i just think they went a little too cheap by only putting two screws through the thing rather than 4...i'm pretty sure the tree hitting the dish on the way down did more damage than they did....not to mention the shingles are 20 years old now and need to be replaced anyway.

Yup, slimline 3 is the way to go the 3 LNB in my area picks up the 99 for locals, 101 for all the nationals, and 103 for all the HD content. If you don't want to add additional cables I'd consider the swm lnb cause you'll need the 6x8 switch for the 3 and 5 lnbs which require 4 lines from the dish. With swm you just need the one.

I just switched back to DTV a month ago - no problem with self install. I found the Slimeline 3lnb to be very easy to install and aim. Once up, it took me less than 1 minute to have strong signal. Good luck!

Yup, slimline 3 is the way to go the 3 LNB in my area picks up the 99 for locals, 101 for all the nationals, and 103 for all the HD content. If you don't want to add additional cables I'd consider the swm lnb cause you'll need the 6x8 switch for the 3 and 5 lnbs which require 4 lines from the dish. With swm you just need the one.

Ahh...this is exactly what I wanted to know. If I don't really need 110 or 119...then i wasn't going to really worry about a 5LNB. If I can get all my HD locals and HD feeds off 99 and 103...that's perfect..I know I've got a great LOS to those spots. IF the 3LNB systems require all 4 coax lines...then I'll research SWM and how to integrate it in to my existing setup.

You never mentioned it specificaly, but make sure your existing coax is RG6.

I ran into my first SL3 yesterday - piece of cake - easier than the SL5 - align AZ & EL on 101, fine adjust the tilt to peak 103, fine adjust 101 to peak. Three minute alignment with a Birdog.

You never mentioned it specificaly, but make sure your existing coax is RG6.

Yes, all the coax going in to the house available for my use that I will use is RG6. There is a line of 59 that goes in to the attic....however being 59 it got disqualified for use, let alone being really inaccessable.

All the inside runs are RG6...I wired 'em myself when I installed my third satellite system (which happens to of been the second DTV system). You can imagine how happy the installers that came to hook up various systems were when I showed them every room had an existing run to one inside location.

The last dish tech I had come out I have to admit...knew his stuff...and when he found out how easy the install was going to be...it took longer to activate the boxes than the actual install...

Yes, all the coax going in to the house available for my use that I will use is RG6. There is a line of 59 that goes in to the attic....however being 59 it got disqualified for use, let alone being really inaccessable.

All the inside runs are RG6...I wired 'em myself when I installed my third satellite system (which happens to of been the second DTV system). You can imagine how happy the installers that came to hook up various systems were when I showed them every room had an existing run to one inside location.

The last dish tech I had come out I have to admit...knew his stuff...and when he found out how easy the install was going to be...it took longer to activate the boxes than the actual install...

If you have any splices in the lines, make sure the barrel connectors are blue on the inside (check wall plates too). The old white ones will not properly pass the HD signal.

I ran into my first SL3 yesterday - piece of cake - easier than the SL5 - align AZ & EL on 101, fine adjust the tilt to peak 103, fine adjust 101 to peak. Three minute alignment with a Birdog.

The SL3S is great been doing them since December (mpeg 4 market---locals on 99) and I love them.

OP consider a setup like this: One of your two existing lines to an HF groundblock from there go into your house to the service panel where you'll need an 8 way swm splitter. From the splitter send just single feeds to each receiver. The 8way swm splitter has a single sat in, a red powerpassing rx out and 7 other rx outs. Use the red port for your main receiver (HD-DVR). This one needs to hook to a swm power inserter which sends the necissary couple of extra volts out to the swm lnb. No need for bbc's just hook up to sat in 1 on your dual tuners. Clean easy setup. You'll need a swm lnb, swm 8 way splitter and the swm power inserter to do the job.

Status
Please reply by conversation.