What does an AT&T fiber install require?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I don’t care about getting more than 1 gig, rather getting rid of their crappy modem.

Give me my full gig and not limit it to 940 which is the maximum that can be supported over eithernet.

I want hand off from the fiber Into my router.

You solve that 'problem' with a faster ethernet port. 2.5 GbE is becoming popular now, but up to 10 GbE works for twisted pair.

Having fiber going inside the house is stupid, I'm sorry but there's no way for AT&T to justify such an unbelievably stupid method of delivery.

AT&T will soon be issuing gateways with a fiber port so no more ONT.

Wow ... "foot'in mouth" for sure ....

Definitely should have been paying closer attention to this. ...

Although the link to the dslreports thread here would be more apropos to the topic of this new gateway I think. ...

And like Claude says, "it's about time." ...

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

.... I have mine in passthough mode that assigns the public IP (4 and 6 BTW) to my router. I just don't like having to run their huge 3 amp heater just for that.

And even then it's my understanding the AT&T gateway still stubbornly NATs, even with IP pass-through selected.

But this time between a list of internally stored public IP addresses as this YT video demonstrates ....

So it's really a sort of "semi-IP pass-through" the gateway performs. ....

Go figure. ....

Wow ... "foot'in mouth" for sure ....

Definitely should have been paying closer attention to this. ...

Although the link to the dslreports thread here would be more apropos to the topic of this new gateway I think. ...

And like Claude says, "it's about time." ...

I'd be more interested in this if the installer had run the fiber to anywhere close to where I need my gateway. Couple that with AT&T wi-fi calling not working with IP Passthrough, Bypass, or even just using a separate base station, and I have to have the RG in a location that will cover the whole house, so I moved it to my living room using twisted pair. If I had to switch to the integrated unit, they would need to relocate the fiber endpoint about 20 feet away from where it is now. Honestly, I am hoping "10G" cable internet turns out to be as good as they say. Spectrum's setup is way more flexible if all you need is a device that does bridge mode.

Are you complaining about running fiber from the pole to the house or fiber running all over the house replacing Ethernet???

Fiber from the pole to the modem/router is great and no different than running copper to the same point. There are probably tens of million of installs like that in the US and with no history of failure beyond what could happen to copper wire over the same path.

You solve that 'problem' with a faster ethernet port. 2.5 GbE is becoming popular now, but up to 10 GbE works for twisted pair.

Having fiber going inside the house is stupid, I'm sorry but there's no way for AT&T to justify such an unbelievably stupid method of delivery.

I've read that the idea is that such installations will allow for easy customer self-installs in the future, same as cablecos can do with coax. If a home has fiber running inside, AT&T can just ship 'em the latest all-in-one gateway for the customer to plug into it and that's that.

Reactions: Jimbo
I've read that the idea is that such installations will allow for easy customer self-installs in the future, same as cablecos can do with coax. If a home has fiber running inside, AT&T can just ship 'em the latest all-in-one gateway for the customer to plug into it and that's that.
Only real issue with fiber in the homes is the potential for angles/bends.

Are you complaining about running fiber from the pole to the house or fiber running all over the house replacing Ethernet???

Fiber from the pole to the modem/router is great and no different than running copper to the same point. There are probably tens of million of installs like that in the US and with no history of failure beyond what could happen to copper wire over the same path.

I think it is stupid because they have to drill a hole in your wall to feed the fiber through. And what happens if the other side of the wall isn't suitable for locating the modem/router? You can't splice the fiber yourself, and I doubt AT&T is going to run it extra distance to a more convenient location.

Just about every house built in the past few decades already has cat5 going through the wall at the service entrance, installed for landline that could be repurposed in most cases since AT&T is usually the telco in areas they are deploying fiber and most people won't want/need a landline if they have fiber internet.

If they use an external ONT they don't need to drill through your wall because the hole for the cat5 is already there, and it is the homeowner's problem inside the house. AT&T doesn't need to enter your house at all or even require the homeowner to be present to do the install just like how landlines are installed.

I doubt AT&T is going to run it extra distance to a more convenient location.

In my house, AT&T ran the fiber to the closet where the wiring distribution for coax and twisted pair terminates. It is about 15 ft from where they drilled a hole through the foundation to get into the crawlspace. 20 or 30 year old Cat 5e really isn't that reliable. Several of the outlets will not negotiate higher than 10Mbps, even after putting new jacks on the ends of the cables in my house built in 1999. I've had better luck using the RG59 for MoCA in most cases.

Last edited:
For me AT&T drilled a small hole on the west side of the house and ran the original outside fiber cable about 25 ft. through a crawlspace under the house to the slack-NID box mounted to a wooden pile.

Then exiting the slack-NID box the tech. first left a rather generous amount of excess inside fiber cable coiled into a roll on top of a main floor support beam above the pile the slack-NID box is secured to before running the inside fiber about another 30 ft. and then up through the floor to the ONT.

Then, and while the tech. grumbled a bit over the extra work, I had to insist he run the ethernet cable from the ONT back down through the floor and under the house again then up through the floor to where the gateway is located.

A "very" old refurbished home here originally built in 1912 (yep, you heard right, 1912!). So obviously not wired for any ethernet of course. Therefore all network connectivity here is either through WiFi or coax MoCA, except for a network printer that l have on cheap powerline adapters since it doesn't need a fast connection speed.

I believe altice does the same thing in their fiber location. A combined ONT/router gateway

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

For me AT&T drilled a small hole on the west side of the house and ran the original outside fiber cable about 25 ft. through a crawlspace under the house to the slack-NID box mounted to a wooden pile.

That's nice but houses with a crawlspace are easy so long as the guy doesn't mind getting a little dirty and isn't afraid of spiders and snakes. Approximately zero houses where I live have crawlspaces, most have basements the rest are slabs and almost all the basements are finished in houses < 100 years old. If the basement is finished where the service entrance is located you'll end up in the ceiling and have to cut drywall.

The only alternative would be to drill through the foundation itself (never a good idea in a house with a finished basement!) or higher up through the first floor and hope whatever is located there is a better spot or lastly if you have siding you could thread the fiber under it to a potentially more convenient entry.

Like I had any other options?

Hmm let’s see. Business eithernet gig fiber for $700/mo or AT&T fiber 1 gig for $70.
My point is, you KNOW that i gig isn't 1 gig, going in.
Thats just the way it is, they are all that way btw.

Be happy they don't use the terms of "Up Too", many do.

If I could get 1 gig for $70, I'd be thrilled ....
$70 here gets me maybe 100 mpps.
Actually, thats changed recently , its $99 for 100

Just about every house built in the past few decades already has cat5 going through the wall at the service entrance
Are you talking about houses built after say 2000?

I guess there’s no way to do FTTH and then RG6 to the rest of the house? I know most houses at least have RG6.

How will they split off phonecalls and tv?

Are you talking about houses built after say 2000?

I guess there’s no way to do FTTH and then RG6 to the rest of the house? I know most houses at least have RG6.

When I built a house in 2010, RG6 was still an upgrade. I wonder how many people with "new" houses have cat 3 and RG59?

How will they split off phonecalls and tv?
Much the same as before ....

Through the LAN ethernet ports and phone jacks on the gateway.

And/or, for TV and internet anyway on this model, through customer provided ethernet switches on the LAN connected to the gateway by ethernet or SFP cables.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts