What happened to dbsforums?

Wow - it has been so long since I have frequented any DBS board at all or posted here even that I was completely oblivious until now that DBSForums was down - never mind for good. Conversation there had dwindled down significantly for a long time before it shut down though and the writing was on the wall, so I'm not much surprised. Dan did the best he could with it and I appreciate him and the site and at the end what I liked most about it was that he had tied all of the DBS related forum web sites and the TIVO community web site together on the main page with the main links from each and it made navigating all of these web sites very easy.

Though I haven't been too active up here or at DBSTalk (I was actually quite a bit more active on the TIVO community board), I'm sure some of you might remember me.

About a decade or more ago, I used to post and lurk there, regularly. Back then, it used to be those who wanted every channel under the sun versus those who cared more about conserving bandwith and thus improving picture quality. I was never as vocal as Bob Haller, but back then I found myself agreeing with him a lot. I was in the add every channel under the sun camp and even at one point, created and posted a very detailed spreadsheet where I had used lyngsat to compare and contrast every channel offered by D*, E* and my local C* plus all of the channels not offered on any service in my area. I even prioritized by what I wanted to see added. Back then, I was a D* subscriber, but switched to E* for a year or two when they were adding channels that D* didn't have like HBO Comedy, etc. Ultimately until last year (when I was divorced), I had switch back to D* due to their DVRs and high-definition choices being better and at that point I was in the preserve bandwith camp and had reversed my position on adding every channel under the sun.

As I was enjoying television more as well, I had almost stopped lurking and posting on these sites. Plus Everquest 2 and World of Warcraft had also been taking up a lot of my time back then, too.

(Also, some background on the divorce: Ellen and I were married a total of 10 years which resulted in no children despite that we tried and ultimately discovered she was unable in 2002. In 2003, she met another guy playing the Sims Online and had a three week separation from me as a result. She ultimately returned and I tried to forgive her and for a few years after that, we lived more like brother and sister than anything else. Finally last year, I called it off, moved out and divorced her. I just couldn't live like that, anymore. I will not stand for a lack of loyalty in any future relationship. Since then, I have purchased a home in Cornville, ME which I love - I am surrounded by forest on all sides of my house and on the uphill side of a mountain. I have a 25 year old girlfriend, Alison who could be wife #3 at some point, but I'm not rushing into anything this time. She has a 4 year old daughter, Savannah who already calls me daddy. I'm really enjoying life.)

I haven't yet turned on D* again through the mover's program, but I will in time for the Fall. For now, I've been keeping up as I can on some of my favorite television programming through DVD releases, Netflix and going to a whole lot of movies at the theater and drive-in in my area.

Unfortunately, I can't find local high-speed internet service in my area. There is also no local cable company in my town which shares a zip code with another town that is served by Bee Line Cable. Except for work (which is 5 minutes away), its like being in the dark ages again. Even the wireless and cell services don't seem to reach me, yet. I really don't weant satellite internet or dial-up service, so thus far, I've opted for no service.

Anyway, I'm glad to see DBS is thriving. I wish everyone from DBSForums, SatelliteGuys and DBSTalk the best of everything for what's left of 2008 and forward.

Hey guys, missed a lot of the discussions from the old DBSForums.

I don't think my current announcer schedules would be appreciated here, so I won't post them here. Just wanted to say hey to some old faces.

Hey guys, missed a lot of the discussions from the old DBSForums.

I don't think my current announcer schedules would be appreciated here, so I won't post them here. Just wanted to say hey to some old faces.

Hey Scotty,
great to hear from you. I for one appreciated the contributions you made to the DBSForums. :) It's not like you were talking about who announced the 1968 Water Polo Championships.

I for one appreciated the contributions you made to the DBSForums. :) It's not like you were talking about who announced the 1968 Water Polo Championships.

Same here.

I also never cared about who announced what,

I don't care about who announced every game in an NFL season; I care about games that we remember.

Not who called it, but what happened.

Scotty, anders, Sandra, Bill, remy, HD MM, Jimbo, Iceberg, salsa, that guy with the LSU logo=

THE GANG'S ALL HERE!!

myself, Jimbo and Ramy are vintage SatGuys. Never ventured off to DBS. But yeah, quite a crowd growing.

And, I for one will vote AGAINST the annoying broadcaster list threads. Just my opinion.

If the broadcaster threads annoy people, then they don't have to be posted. I didn't mind them but if nobody wants them on here, I won't cry about it. This probably won't make sense but I wish we get a hold of the articles that we've posted on dbsforums. I mean we all posted great stuff and it's a shame, that we can't see it anymore. I looked forward to going on dbsforums and seeing what anders, Bill, Sabres etc. posted and I think they did a hell of a job. It's too bad we can't get those articles back. It's like you make time to post articles and then they are gone. I say sometimes "Why did I waste my time posting if all my articles disappeared"?

Hey, Brainfry, if you say my other posts I liked the old schedules too. You could go to this site-http://www.sportsbroadcasthistory.com/forums/index.php and it should help you out. I found out about it and it's a great site.

I was a regular on the DBSForums, and I'm glad to see that quite a few of the posters from that site made it here. I look forward to talking to the lot of you again.

What was his avatar/signature? I usually can identify people by either their avatar or their signature.

I honestly don't recall if Risnuff had an avatar. But he's a big Steelers fan, and we had some great discussions during the football season.

An all time great? I appreciate the high praise Bill!

I didn't have an avatar SabresRule, (I might have to get one) but I definitely remember you from the DBSForums, as you always asked questions that sparked interesting discussion, and were never afraid to share your own opinion on the matter.

I think the only DBSForums regular that's missing now is Lance.