What is Orby TV?????

Wescopc, Interesting You mention, "through a switch"? What is the switch path to the LNBF?

The STB outputs 13.2Vdc, but had to override and manually push 18Vdc to the LNBF via the meter override to update the receiver. Also noted that the STB 22KHz signal is ON, but when signal is lost, the 22KHz cycles ON/OFF. Once it updated, am able to watch channels using a standard LO 10750 LNBF with no 18Vdc override.

I was told that the LNBF is not an off the shelf device. Guess we will know more in a few days...

Can you try to put one of these cards into are FTA receivers to see if they would work?
Where are you going to put it in "our" FTA receivers? None of mine have a SIM slot.
...but as has already been stated, even if it did have a SIM slot, no it will not work with existing FTA receivers.

One more reason to order the install....

Heads-up: For anyone considering using their own dish, purchase the LNBF from ORBY TV. The LNBF is proprietary and is necessary for updating the receiver. I was able to use a work around to enable a software update push and have been watching channels on a standard linear LNBF, but now am patiently waiting on the delivery of their LNBF in a few days. The cost for a LNBF is only $20, including shipping.

So Brian how's the quality?

Why not, if they have a multi output lnbf available. It would be a stupid oversight if you have to have a dish per receiver. So likely they can do more than one receiver at a time.

Agreed, but we're hearing the lnb is some special type. The Orby website is missing a lot of information.

Agreed, but we're hearing the lnb is some special type. The Orby website is missing a lot of information.

I'm doubtful of those claims, but I know Brian will figure it out for sure and let us know.

Maybe it's just an OCS lnbf, and the receiver is capable of using a few different types automatically, programmed into the firmware. Like a Dish receiver, and it runs it's own "switchtest". If it's OCS, you can use simple splitters to add receivers.

Wescopc, Interesting You mention, "through a switch"? What is the switch path to the LNBF?

Path: Orby --> motor --> un-powered switch(3X4 Zinwell) --> LNBF (dual output). No diplexer on this setup.

Brian called as I was writing this ---- our receivers are acting differently - We will get to the bottom of this!!!
Bob

Reactions: Titanium and KE4EST
So we don't know if multiple receivers are possible with a single dish?

Yes when you go to the install site each additional receiver is $50 to install. (And you must purchase the receiver). Wash receiver is also $5 more a month.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Yes when you go to the install site each additional receiver is $50 to install. (And you must purchase the receiver). Wash receiver is also $5 more a month.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I wish the Orby website had more info. I guess this is achieved with a multiswitch? Does the install include splitting and diplexing the OTA signal to each receiver?

So much for patiently waiting... LOL! After talking with WescoPC, I attempted to replicate his report of the receiver connected to a standard LO 10750 LNBF and working without issue. We reset his system and it reauthorizes and updates as I would expect. I would agree, his system is working great with a off the shelf standard linear LNBF with LO 10750.

My system continues to have the same signal issues. Ruled out a defective linear LO 10750 LNBF by swapping to a spare (Maverick MK1) with the same random signal locking results. My shop system has a 125' run to the dish and the test gear shows no line faults or signal errors. Have a 13.5 CN with a 7db link margin reading measured at the STB position. The great news is that I can enjoy the system by simply removing the coax for a minute until the "Signal Lost" message appears then reconnect the coax.

My gut feeling after testing is that the STB LNB voltage output may have an issue. At this point I am curious how the ORBY TV LNBF will perform with this STB and will hold off on additional testing until the LNBF arrives.
:playball

... The great news is that I can enjoy the system by simply removing the coax for a minute until the "Signal Lost" message appears then reconnect the coax....
Interesting.

... A bit off topic but we had to do the same coax disconnect / reconnect to lock the GOES GRB (weather satellite). I don't understand why this works, but it does.

After a few months of head scratching, I found a way to simulate a coax reset in software (for TBS tuner cards).

Does anyone know why resetting the coax causes the receiver to lock in certain situations?

Back several posts Brian (Titanium) mentioned that he self-installed and just had to provide information for them to activate it:
Well both Dish and DTV let people do self installs, even gave you a kit, it was good for us small dealers, when they gave up they called us most of the time they really were totally lost and were begging for help

Reactions: dishdude
Dan, they aren't going to work. They would never allow this in a standard receiver, as it would be hacked right away. The receiver has to contain part of the keys and be addressable.
Ok I understand. What I was getting at is the CAS slot like on my Amiko thats all I was just wondering.

scanned in with my fta universal lnb, picked up all channels, all scrambled with nagravision. have 48 inch movible dish

So much for patiently waiting... LOL! After talking with WescoPC, I attempted to replicate his report of the receiver connected to a standard LO 10750 LNBF and working without issue. We reset his system and it reauthorizes and updates as I would expect. I would agree, his system is working great with a off the shelf standard linear LNBF with LO 10750.

My system continues to have the same signal issues. Ruled out a defective linear LO 10750 LNBF by swapping to a spare (Maverick MK1) with the same random signal locking results. My shop system has a 125' run to the dish and the test gear shows no line faults or signal errors. Have a 13.5 CN with a 7db link margin reading measured at the STB position. The great news is that I can enjoy the system by simply removing the coax for a minute until the "Signal Lost" message appears then reconnect the coax.

My gut feeling after testing is that the STB LNB voltage output may have an issue. At this point I am curious how the ORBY TV LNBF will perform with this STB and will hold off on additional testing until the LNBF arrives.
:playball

Well, you said in your earlier post that the receiver was only putting out 13~volts lnb voltage, that you injected 18~volts into the coax, and that allowed it to work properly. You also now just said you have 125' run of coax. I assume knowing you that's a VERY good quality coax, with good ends and such?

Rg-6 coax has a voltage drop average of around 0.04~ volts per foot. 0.04 x 125' = 5 volt drop. 13 - 5 = 8 volts at the lnbf. However, use those same numbers with 18v injected, and now you are only down to the original 13 volts due to loss, and you said it all works fine at that. I'd suggest taking your digital meter right to the lnbf, and check the voltage right there to confirm this speculation.

Now, their specs on their "$150 install" claim that includes a MAX of 100ft of coax. That's a 4~ volt drop. Now you are at 9 volts. Will your lnbf still work at 9 volts? If not, they might have a serious problem coming up in the near future. Unless of course they can send a firmware to "juice" the lnbf voltage a bit higher...

Unless of course their "magical" lnbf is just a standard one but spec'ed to work at a much lower voltage? Then again, I'm thinking their lnbf is just OCS, so simple splitters can be used for additional receivers.

Reactions: norman881
Will test more after the ORBY TV LNBF arrives.

Yes, quality copper stinger, quad shield RG-6 with clean DigiCon fittings.

Yes, there will be a voltage drop, but 5Vdc drop would be abnormal. Most of us would not have horizontal channels with a LNBF if there was a 5Vdc drop on a 125' coax (18-5=13 with a 15Vdc polarity switchpoint). :) I will check the voltage drop when installing their LNBF, as I tend to limit my climbs up the 2 story shopping center roof access ladder.

The dish and LNBF work as normal with all other tested STBs and meters. 11940 and 11980 transponders test with exceptional signals on multiple meters at the STB position.

My observation mirrors your thoughts, that on my OrbyTV receiver, the LNB power output may be inadequate for my "hobbyist typical" LNBF and coax length. When using a voltage switching (13/18Vdc) power inserter, the OrbyTV receiver works fine. Remove the power inserter and direct connect the OrbyTV STB and the updating function becomes problematic.

Connecting a satellite meter to the Orby TV STB or looping through a passive inline device causes the receiver to lose signal unless the meter or power inserter generates the 13Vdc LNB power. This wouldn't seem normal? Faulty receiver, internal hardware or software settings or ???

The constant 22KHz tone and momentary 18Vdc switch during the update process has me curious. No DiSEqC signaling detected. The lack of hardware specs leaves me in limbo...

Meanwhile, I wait for the LNBF to arrive and enjoying the channel surfing. :)

comfortably_numb These two transponders are good in Northern CA. Last night there was a 6.5dB link margin (over 13.5 CN) with a portable 76cm test dish!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts