What is wrong with the Cleveland Indians?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Tribe loses Westbrook and Tigers lose Bonderman both for the season! What else can go wrong in this topsy-turvy AL Central this year?

Advantage=Indians...I think!

Yeah, I'd have to agree. Both Bonderman and Westbrook are what I consider quality starters. The only difference.............Bonderman was the #2 guy with the Tigers, while Westbrook was 4 or 5 with the Tribe.

I bet a lot of teams feel pretty good when their No. 5 hitter steps up to the plate with runners in scoring position and the game on the line.
Not Cleveland.
Not with Jhonny "Rally Killer" Peralta.

With runners on 1st and 2nd and 1 out in the 6th, the Rally Killer hit what should have been his team-leading 10th double play, but he beat the throw to 1st.

With the bases loaded and 1 out in the 8th (Tribe losing 5-2), the Rally Killer strikes out swinging. He was ahead in the count 2-0, swing at ball three, then swung at ball four, and then struck out.

His two failures with runners in scoring position today, will drop his .167 average with RISP.
He's also batting .111 with RISP and 2 out, and he's now 0-for-7 with the bases loaded.

With the bases empty, he's batting .273.
With nobody out, he's batting .292.
With one out, he's batting .283.
With two out, he's batting .119.

Time for the Rally Killer to go - either to the bench or the bottom of the lineup.
Get him out of the 5 hole!

I think this weekend's series showcased the major flaws and reasoning on why the Indians aren't going anywhere this year. Ie., inability to produce with runners in scoring position and an unreliable bullpen.

This year, the bullpen is a shell of it's former self. The funny thing is that there hasn't been any major personnel changes, but the once reliable arms just aren't as dominating as they were last year. (Betencourt, I'm talking about you)! I still can't find an answer on why things aren't clicking at the plate. Our clean-up hitter (Victor Martinez) still has 0 home runs this year and our leading RBI man is our #9 hitter (Casey Blake)! Very strange that the shifts of power tend to sway from year to year in the AL Central.

At the end of this month, we will be at the halfway point of the season. Currently, we are 8.5 games out of first place. Our once plentiful staff of starting pitchers are dwindling. (Carmona is still on the DL and Westbrook is done for the year). Our most promising pitching stud in AAA (Adam Miller), is also done for the year with another hand injury. Plus, Byrd and Sabathia are free-agents next year!

That leaves us with a staff of Carmona, Lee, Sowers and Laffey for next year. What we used to believe was a surplus has now turned into a need. No sign of this season getting any better either..... :(

Yeah, I'd have to agree. Both Bonderman and Westbrook are what I consider quality starters. The only difference.............Bonderman was the #2 guy with the Tigers, while Westbrook was 4 or 5 with the Tribe.

Going into the season, Westbrook was actually our #3, behind only Sabathia and Carmona. Byrd was our #4 and believe it or not, Cliff Lee barely earned the #5 spot after competing with a few other pitchers in the pre-season.

Going into the season, Westbrook was actually our #3, behind only Sabathia and Carmona. Byrd was our #4 and believe it or not, Cliff Lee barely earned the #5 spot after competing with a few other pitchers in the pre-season.

Right, that's no knock on Westbrook (like I said earlier in this thread, IMO, the Tribe's rotation is the deepest in the AL.........or baseball for that matter). I just wasn't sure if they considered Westbrook or Byrd the #4. As far as Cliff Lee goes, he was one of the top young lefties in baseball just a couple of years ago.........fortunately for you Tribe fans, it's looking like Lee's disaster of 2007 was an aberration.

That leaves us with a staff of Carmona, Lee, Sowers and Laffey for next year. What we used to believe was a surplus has now turned into a need. No sign of this season getting any better either..... :(

You forgot Westbrook, although he might still be out into next year.
Some recover better than others from Tommy John surgery, and some come back a better pitcher.
Nevertheless, I wouldn't call starting pitching a "need" next year. There will be plenty of teams more in need than the Indians.

The rest of June will tell the tale of the rest of the season. The Tribe is fortunate enough to play some bad/mediocre teams in interleague (Padres, Giants, Rockies, Dodgers and Reds).

If they are more than 10 games out at the end of June, it may be time to put Sabathia on the trading block.

This team is close to turning it around. They just need to get the worst hitter with RISP out of the No. 5 hole, and get the best hitter with RISP out of the No. 8/9 hole.

Betancourt will turn it around. He's been solid for 5 years. Guys with that track record just don't lose it overnight.

And maybe this DL stint was what Hafner needed to turn it around. It seems to have worked for Joe Borowski.

You forgot Westbrook, although he might still be out into next year.
Some recover better than others from Tommy John surgery, and some come back a better pitcher.
Nevertheless, I wouldn't call starting pitching a "need" next year. There will be plenty of teams more in need than the Indians.

The rest of June will tell the tale of the rest of the season. The Tribe is fortunate enough to play some bad/mediocre teams in interleague (Padres, Giants, Rockies, Dodgers and Reds).

If they are more than 10 games out at the end of June, it may be time to put Sabathia on the trading block.

This team is close to turning it around. They just need to get the worst hitter with RISP out of the No. 5 hole, and get the best hitter with RISP out of the No. 8/9 hole.

Betancourt will turn it around. He's been solid for 5 years. Guys with that track record just don't lose it overnight.

And maybe this DL stint was what Hafner needed to turn it around. It seems to have worked for Joe Borowski.

Yeah, I purposely left Westbrook off our projected starters in '09 because he won't be available for another 12 months according to the early prognostications. That means he will be back in July '09 IF all goes well. With that said, we will need another dependable arm in the rotation. I can't see Lee having another year like he is now and keep in mind, this year is Sowers' and Laffey's first extensive stint in the bigs.

And I wish I could share your optimism of feeling this team is "close to turning it around". I just don't see it. We are 7 games below the .500 mark for the first time this season and are even further away from first place at 8.5 games!

Meanwhile, the White Sox have rattled off 6 wins in a row and are looking like they may be the ones to pull away from everyone in the AL Central.

Slipping away...

Yes, as much as I hate to say it, with the Sox starting to take a good lead in the "Division of Leasts" this season, I fear the Tribe will not be able to overcome their numerous ills. It's sad...it pains me because I was so supportive of this team the past few years and loved watching them grow and gel. I still want to see them succeed and will watch them but I fear it is too late.

UPDATE: With the Sox victory today the Tribe is now 9 games back...not good at all!!!!

Last edited:
Cabrera Down...Barfield UP!

I know it won't change the world, but the Tribe just called up Josh Barfield to play 2nd base. I like the kid. I wish him all the best back in the Show!

Yes, as much as I hate to say it, with the Sox starting to take a good lead in the "Division of Leasts" this season, I fear the Tribe will not be able to overcome their numerous ills. It's sad...it pains me because I was so supportive of this team the past few years and loved watching them grow and gel. I still want to see them succeed and will watch them but I fear it is too late.

UPDATE: With the Sox victory today the Tribe is now 9 games back...not good at all!!!!

Later last night, the Tribe beat the Motor Kitties 8-2 to split the 4 game series and stay 8.5 games back. We now come home for 6 games.

Congrats to Cliff Lee btw, for earning his 10th win last night!

Interesting facts from last night's game:

• Dontrelle Willis (right) became just the third pitcher since 1956 to give up eight earned runs on three or fewer hits, according to STATS Inc.
• The eight earned runs matched a career high. He had done it three times previously, most recently on May 1, 2006 against Philadelphia.
• Willis hasn't made it past five innings in any start this season.
• Indians starter Cliff Lee became the AL's first 10-game winner of '08. Lee, who won just five games last season, improved to 7-1 on the road.

Also found this interesting stat on Lee. Apparently there is a major difference in his performance when being caught by our two different catchers:
  • When Lee pitches to Shoppach: 6-0, 0.92 ERA
  • When Lee pitches to Martinez: 3-1, 5.84 ERA

That's interesting about Shoppach catching Lee.

More interesting when you consider those two runs last night were due in large part to Cliff Lee pitching faster and throwing more strikes to try to beat the rain.

Shoppach's one of the best backup backstops out there.

As for the rest of the season, 25 days ago, the Indians were in first place. I don't think it's overly optimistic to believe they can get there again in the 100+ days remaining.

This month's schedule is favorable, and it's not like the Tribe has been getting killed in their losses this year.
If Victor Martinez and Rafael Betancourt (not to mention C.C. Sabathia) had been playing like they have over the last 5 years, the Indians wouldn't be in the position they are in.
I don't think Betancourt will finish with an ERA of 7.00.
I don't think Sabathia will finish with an ERA of 4.81.
And I don't think Martinez will finish with 0 homers and less than 50 RBI.

And nothing against the White Sox, but I think they have a few people playing over their heads so far this season. I don't think they are unbeatable.

Indians win first game of their 6 game home stand: 1-0 over Minnesota.

-Sabathia pitched a gem tonight. He threw a complete game shutout and 5 hitter.

-This was Sabathia's 17th career shutout and 19th complete game of his career.

-He retired the last 17 batters in a row and 19 of the last 20!

-This was the shortest MLB game of the season lasting only 2 hours and 6 minutes! (It's rumored that C.C. wanted to get the game over with early so he could catch the entire Lakers/Celtics game. ;) Sabathia is originally from Vallejo, CA and is a lifelong Lakers fan.)

Go Tribe! Let's turn this thing around!

I agree about Sabathia (but I think he'll be traded) and Martinez, but I wouldn't be surprised at all of Betancourt continues to implode.

As for the rest of the season, 25 days ago, the Indians were in first place. I don't think it's overly optimistic to believe they can get there again in the 100+ days remaining.

This month's schedule is favorable, and it's not like the Tribe has been getting killed in their losses this year.
If Victor Martinez and Rafael Betancourt (not to mention C.C. Sabathia) had been playing like they have over the last 5 years, the Indians wouldn't be in the position they are in.

And nothing against the White Sox, but I think they have a few people playing over their heads so far this season. I don't think they are unbeatable.

Neither do I, but that is not saying much at all. This is a guy who had 25 home runs and 114 RBI's last year! At the end of June, we will be at the halfway point in the season. Vic still has 0 home runs and only has 21 RBI's! Any way you slice he's been just as much of a disappointment as everyone else on the team (our starting pitchers excluded).

Barfield hurt his finger last night....hopefully its not too serious. The guy cant catch a break.

Barfield hurt his finger last night....hopefully its not too serious. The guy cant catch a break.

Yeah, he's listed as day-to-day on the team's website.

"I've never been hurt before," Barfield said with a smile. "I'm not sure what the terminology is, but I'm fine."

Either way, it is not a good sign when you promote a guy from the minors hitting .255!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)