What is wrong with the Cleveland Indians?

Just a reminder. The Indians had a $8mil option on Cliff Lee for next season.

Thank you, Mr. Dolan.

Whoever coined the phrase “a picture says 1000 words” must have had this photo in mind. Yes, folks, Mark Shapiro’s worst nightmare has come true – Wednesday night is Game One of the 2009 World Series and will feature the last two AL Cy Young award winners. Cliff Lee and CC Sabathia. Hey, did you all know they are former Indians?

IMG00239-20091022-1003-1024x768.jpg

We're you crying in your beer last night. Matt? Which pitcher were you pulling for?

We're you crying in your beer last night. Matt? Which pitcher were you pulling for?

Paul, I have no more tears left. I'm all dried out.

And for the record, I'm rooting for Sabathia and the Yankees. I may have told this story before, but when Sabathia was traded, he took out a full page add in the Plain Dealer, thanking fans for the support through the years. Sabathia was a class act and enjoyed following him through the years. Lee on the other hand is a complete d*- wad. After he was traded, he actually blammed the fans, not the owner or the players for the dismantling of the club. He is so clueless. I will never forget that.

Tim Belcher Named as Indians Pitching Coach

The Tribe’s new coaching staff is slowly taking form as the team announced today that they have promoted/hired Tim Belcher to Major League Pitching Coach.

The first overall pick in 1983 (as well as the 1984 secondary draft) has spent the last eight years with the Indians as Special Assistant to Baseball Operations.

Per the Indians media relations:

Tim worked extensively within the Indians Player Development System, providing instruction and evaluation at each level of the organization. He also spent a considerable amount of time scouting players from outside of the organization and for the last several years provided advance scouting reports to the Major League staff. He has assisted the Major League pitching coach during each of his spring training camps during his tenure and at various points served as interim pitching coach at each level (AAA, AA, A) of the Indians system.

Failing to make the press release was the time that Belcher was on the receiving end of a Chan-Ho Park flying kick like it was a scene out of Mortal Kombat. Anyone else remember that?.......

tim-belcher-Chan-Ho-Park-277x300.jpg

chanhokick.gif

http://www.dodgerblues.com/content/features_fights.html#chanho

LOL! I must have missed that when it happened. :D

Is Shapiro picking the coaching staff?

From a Dodger blog recounting the incident...

Early in the game, Chan Ho Park had beaned Angels infielder Randy Velarde—the smallest guy in the Angels lineup. Soon after, Park gave up a grand slam to backup catcher Matt Walbeck, who was hitting about .206 at the time. A few batters later, Park nobly took out his frustration on Velarde—again.

Later in the game, Park bunted up the first base line. Angels pitcher Tim Belcher picked up the ball and tagged Park in the chest. That's when the Dodgers pitcher went apeshit. After taking a step back, Park dug into his Korean bag of tricks and karate kicked Belcher in the mid-section with his cleats. Whether it was more reminiscent of Mr. Miyagi, Bruce Lee, or Pelé, Park actually got his ass whooped. Belcher, who must have been about 45 year old at the time, threw Park to the ground and pounded on him.

Park received a seven-game suspension and was fined $3,000 by the National League.

tim-belcher-Chan-Ho-Park-277x300.jpg

Not to hijack the thread, but......................

I remember a time when Mo Vaughn wasn't THAT large! :eek:

What a shame.......he ate himself out of baseball. :eek:

I agree. Now we have to go after Omar Vizquel as a bench coach. He always said he wanted to coach after his playing days and he always loved Cleveland.
Has he officially retired? IIRC, he was a decent utility man last season. I'd love to see him back with the Tribe. Maybe Jim Thome would make decent hitting coach a la Charlie Manuel. :)

It's crazy. You'd figured Sizemore is old enough to know better than to do something like that.....doesn't excuse the invasion of privacy, but still...

Breaking News: Kelly Shoppach Traded!

Per Indians Team Relations:

The Cleveland Indians today announced the club has traded catcher Kelly Shoppach to the Tampa Bay Rays for a player to be named. The player to be named must be selected on or before December 20.

Shoppach, 29, hit .214 (58-271) for the Indians in 2009 with 14 doubles, 12 home runs and 40 RBI in 89 games (33RS, 33BB, 98SO). Kelly spent four (4) seasons with the Indians primarily in the back-up catcher role after being acquired from the Boston Red Sox in January 2006.

The Lou Marson (and soon-to-be Carlos Santana) era has officially begun.

Think of what the Tribe could have had if they traded Shoppach after the 2008 season. Hell, after the 2007 season, there were rumors of a package including Shoppach going to Pittsburgh for Jason Bay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts