What is wrong with the Cleveland Indians?

He and Scott Bailes were two of my favorite players (don't ask me why) when I was a little kid.....I'd love to see him come back and manage the Tribe.

Gawd Sky, those names are a blast from the past! :D

I can't forget notorious Red Sox killer, Brook Jacoby! :eek:

I also think Sal Fasano would make a good manager, but I'm not sure if the Indians want to go down the former catcher, grinder type guy again.

Gawd Sky, those names are a blast from the past! :D

I can't forget notorious Red Sox killer, Brook Jacoby! :eek:

I loved Brook Jacoby too. I don't know why...probably because I was so young.....but some of my fondest memories about the Tribe are the teams & players from the mid-late 80s when the team was always terrible.

I loved Brook Jacoby too. I don't know why...probably because I was so young.....but some of my fondest memories about the Tribe are the teams & players from the mid-late 80s when the team was always terrible.

My old man took me to one of the games in the mid '80's. It was take your son to meet the players day. After the game, the parents and kids got to go on the field and meet the players and take a picture with them. On that day, I got my picture take with Brook Jacoby, Tom Candiotii and Corey Snyder. I will remember that day for the rest of my life!

2009 Season Wrap-Up

In case you missed it, the season has ended in a sweep. How appropriate.

What should have been the season of dreams turned into the season of nightmares. Over, and over, and over again, the Indians failed one way or another.

In April and May, it was the bullpen. In June, it was the starting rotation and the bats. By July and August, it was the Grind that got to them, and by September, it was the youth. Month after month, day after day, they couldn’t seem to put it all together.

It was Shin-Soo Choo who put it best when he said in early August “when we pitch well, we don’t hit. When we hit, we don’t pitch.”

The season of failed expectations didn't come without consequences either. The Eric Wedge era has ended. The rest of the staff was sent packing too. So was Victor Martinez, Cliff Lee, Rafael Betancourt and Mark DeRosa.

GM, Mark Shapiro says that he plans on having a new coach hired before the end of this year's World Series and for the rebuilding to commence shortly there after.

I'd like to wish Wedgie the best of luck in his future en devours. He was a victim of circumstance. Not everything that happened during his tenure was his fault. Most of the fault needs to be directed at the GM for mis-reading talent, the owner for not having deeper pockets and the players themselves for nor performing early on. I do admit a change of leadership was probably due though.

With all that said, the nightmare of the 2009 season is over. A new era of Indians baseball will begin with a new manager and a stripped down payroll. Get ready for a lot of kids and a lot of rebuilding over the next year or two.

Goodbye 2009. As a lifelong Clevelander, I will continue to believe. I will continue to support. I will continue to hope better days are ahead!

GO TRIBE!!!

I predict Red Sox pitching coach and former Indians pitcher, John Farrell will be the next manager of the Tribe.

IMO, Farrell will make a GREAT manager. Just the other day on sports radio, they were saying that Farrell will give some team a great leader.
Looks like Farrell will be staying with the Sox in 2010:

Epstein said he expects John Farrell to be back as pitching coach. When Cleveland asked for permission to speak to Farrell about their managerial vacancy, Farrell told Epstein his desire was to stay in Boston. This might be the most significant development of the day.

Epstein looks ahead to the winter - Extra Bases - Red Sox blog

Looks like Farrell will be staying with the Sox in 2010:

Epstein looks ahead to the winter - Extra Bases - Red Sox blog

That may be the case, but Theo still granted the Tribe permission to talk to Farrell. I wouldn't close the books on this one just yet. It's possible the Tribe brass can still sweet talk John Boy.....

Boston GM Theo Epstein granted the Indians permission to talk Farrell on Monday, the day after the Red Sox were eliminated from the postseason in a three-game sweep by the Angels in the AL Division Series. The feeling, however, is that Farrell is committed to stay in Boston.

Red Sox pitching coach John Farrell can talk to Tribe about manager's job, but is he really interested? | Cleveland Indians - cleveland.com - - cleveland.com

Another possible Coaching Candidate... John Valentine

Shapiro and Antonetti began phone interviews Monday with "eight to 10 candidates" culled from a list of about 30 managerial possibilities. They are conducting the interviews from their spring training headquarters in Goodyear, Ariz., where they are beginning the team's organizational meetings with scouts and staff members.

From that list, three to five candidates will be brought to Cleveland for interviews. Shapiro would like to have the manager in place by the end of the World Series.
Former big league manager Bobby Valentine is thought to be one of those candidates. Valentine has spent the last six years managing in Japan.

In an e-mail to The Plain Dealer, Valentine responded, when asked if the Indians' job interested him, "I would be honored to talk with the guys who run the club."

In another e-mail sent Monday, Valentine said he had just returned from Japan and was anticipating getting a call from the Indians sometime this week. Valentine, who just signed a lucrative deal with ESPN, has an escape clause in his contract if he is offered another managerial job. Shapiro would not comment when asked if he was interested in Valentine.

Red Sox pitching coach John Farrell can talk to Tribe about manager's job, but is he really interested? | Cleveland Indians - cleveland.com - - cleveland.com

As expected, Farrell Confirms He's Out of the Running for the Next Tribe Skipper

“It’s an honor to be considered for the job,” Farrell to The Plain Dealer. “Especially for a team that I played for, my father played for and where there are so many people I know and respect. All those things considered, my desire is to fulfill the commitment between Boston and myself.

“There’s no denying there is an intent to manager at sometime. But I have a mutual commitment with Boston that I feel I should fulfill.”

John Farrell says he's not interested in being Cleveland Indians manager | Cleveland Indians - cleveland.com - - cleveland.com

And Then There Were FOUR.....

Various reports have the Tribe GM down to four candidates who will/have been brought in for formal, face to face interviews: Former Washington Manager Manny Acta; Former Mets, Rangers, and Japanese League Manager Bobby Valentine; Tribe AAA Manager Torey Lovullo; and Current Dodgers hitting coach Don Mattingly.

Yesterday on STO’s All Bets are Off with Bruce Drennan, ESPN’s John Kruk told Bruce that Peter Gammons insists Mattingly is actually the front runner for the Indians job and the organization is anxiously awaiting his season to end. In addition, Acta’s former team, the Nationals, have asked the Dodgers for permission to interview Mattingly as well. So the Tribe will have competition for his services.

And Then There Were Four…. | WaitingForNextYear

A Mystery Candidate Appears: Aneheim Angels' Ron Roenicke

For those of us who thought the list of Tribe managerial candidates was whittled down to four, I guess we were wrong.

According to the Los Angeles Times, the Indians have received permission to speak to Angels bench coach Ron Roenicke about the current vacancy.

50025604.jpg

What could've been.....

Whoever coined the phrase “a picture says 1000 words” must have had this photo in mind. Yes, folks, Mark Shapiro’s worst nightmare has come true – Wednesday night is Game One of the 2009 World Series and will feature the last two AL Cy Young award winners. Cliff Lee and CC Sabathia. Hey, did you all know they are former Indians?

IMG00239-20091022-1003-1024x768.jpg

The real reason for the Cleveland Indians lousy 2009 Season was, the Buffalo Curse we placed upon them. Cleveland dumped Buffalo after 18 years for their Farm Team and replaced them with Columbus , and stuck us with the Mets.:rant:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts