What is wrong with the Cleveland Indians?

You know what is saddest of all????

Do you know who broke the news to Lee that he'd been traded? It was good ol' DeRo who called to congratulate him on getting out of Cleveland. Lee told DeRo the he must be joking because he was sitting talking with Kerry Wood in the Angels' visiting clubhouse and had heard nothing. When DeRo told him that it was all over the wires, Lee went nuts and sought out Shapiro for the truth!!!! Nice, huh?

HD and all of you Tribe fans...all I can wish is one more thing after Victor is traded. Get poor Grady the hell out of there so he doesn't waste his bright career going nowhere as an Indian!!!!

Sadly, the Indians have become the AL version of the Pirates.

You know what is saddest of all????

Do you know who broke the news to Lee that he'd been traded? It was good ol' DeRo who called to congratulate him on getting out of Cleveland. Lee told DeRo the he must be joking because he was sitting talking with Kerry Wood in the Angels' visiting clubhouse and had heard nothing. When DeRo told him that it was all over the wires, Lee went nuts and sought out Shapiro for the truth!!!! Nice, huh?

HD and all of you Tribe fans...all I can wish is one more thing after Victor is traded. Get poor Grady the hell out of there so he doesn't waste his bright career going nowhere as an Indian!!!!

Sadly, the Indians have become the AL version of the Pirates.

Sadly I agree.

And what makes it all the more disheartening is that less than 2 years ago, we were 1 stinking game away from the World Series! We were up 3 games to 1 on the Red Sox! It's really shocking to see how quickly this franchise has fallen from grace since then.

I moved this reply from "AL Central" to here as I feel the response to it fits perfectly here:

Paul, these moves are the result of the owner whispering in our GM's ear. Mark Shapiro is too smart to make these silly moves.

It starts at the top and unfortunately, until Larry Dolan sells the team, we won't be competing like we used to.

OK, HD...let 'er rip...In your best thoughts and observations when and why did it change with the Dolan ownership? Was no one from this ownership around even when you almost made the WS 2 years ago? How could they talk Pronk, Grady, Victor, etc. into long-term commitments and then pull this?:confused:

I moved this reply from "AL Central" to here as I feel the response to it fits perfectly here:

OK, HD...let 'er rip...In your best thoughts and observations when and why did it change with the Dolan ownership? Was no one from this ownership around even when you almost made the WS 2 years ago? How could they talk Pronk, Grady, Victor, etc. into long-term commitments and then pull this?:confused:

KCK,

Things changed well before our 2007 ALCS Loss.

Late Richard Jacob's owned the team through the rip-roaring 90's. In his reign, the team won 5 Division Titles and went to 2 World Series'. During our hey-dey, Jacob's wasn't afraid of spending. He brought in veterans such as Dave Justice, Dave Winfield, Oral Hershiser, Dennis Martinez, Robbie Alomar, etc. to add to the team during their run.

In 2000, Jacob's sold the franchise to Larry Dolan for $323 million. Jacob's, the savvy business man with deep pockets, made out like a bandit while Dolan overpaid by roughly double what they are now worth. The year after Jacob's sold the team, we had the highest payroll in franchise history of $92.6 million. Today, 8 years following, we are at $81 million. Before I get into specifics, what does that tell you?

The year Dolan took over (2001), the Indians failed to resign Manny Ramirez and Sandy Alomar Jr. They still won the AL Central that year, but lost in the first round of the playoffs.

In the 2001 offseason, GM John Hart resigned and Mark Shapiro took the reigns. Shapiro, under direction from Dolan, proceeded to trade Robbie Alomar for Matt Lawton and prospects (none notable). With the team out of contention in 2002, Shapiro fired Charlie Manual and traded Bartolo Colon for Grady Sizemore, Cliff Lee and Brandon Phillips. (Good trade, I'll give him that). After the season, Jim Thome left for a larger contract.

Since 2001, we've only been to the playoffs one other year in the Dolan/Shapiro/Wedge era, which was 2007.

In 2008, the year following our ALCS exit, we still had Sabathia and Lee turned into Cy Young that year. We locked up Victor Martinez and Grady Sizemore to fairly reasonable contracts before they became too star-studded, which was good foresight by their part. Unfortunately though, injuries and regression set in that year and we fell too far back in the standings early in the season to compete. Later that year we traded Sabathia. Then Lee this year.

See the trend yet? We've developed a ton of talent over the years, only to see them walk for more money. Lately we've been trading them because ownership already knows they won't be able to make a competitive offer. There needs to be some sort of happy medium. Personally, I think we need deeper pockets to consistently succeed.

The anti-salary cap proponents will spout off teams like the Rays and Twins, but fail to realize that these teams don't compete for a World Series Title for decades at a time like the Big-Boppers are able to do. When their young stars out grow their rookie contracts, ownership hast to make a decision to make. Most likely that decision will involve them leaving for more money and the team starting over with prospects.

In conclusion, if imposing a salary cap isn't the answer, I want a owner with deeper pockets because I'm sick of seeing our talent leave during the pinnacle of their careers.

I have put up all my Cleveland Indians jerseys, caps in the closet. I will not take them out again until the team is sold. This is just stupid. All this team do is get rid of players. I am so done with this owner.
I cant wait till Football and Basketball start back up!

From the L.A. Times today:

Cleveland Indians General Manager Mark Shapiro said his decision to trade Cy Young Award winner Cliff Lee today -- in a six-player deal with the Philadelphia Phillies -- reflected an ownership mandate that the Indians would not be able to add payroll this winter. Shapiro said he then chose to refocus on the years beyond 2010, making it likely that the Indians will trade catcher Victor Martinez before Friday's deadline.

I say it's time to contract the Tribe and the Pirates from MLB and get us back down to 1 less team in each league. A shorter season and a post season that won't run until Christmas! Plus, what the hell...neither city will miss their team anyway. They've been run into the bowels of the earth by vagabond ownership!!!!

I say it's time to contract the Tribe and the Pirates from MLB and get us back down to 1 less team in each league. A shorter season and a post season that won't run until Christmas! Plus, what the hell...neither city will miss their team anyway. They've been run into the bowels of the earth by vagabind ownership!!!!

Ouch.

HD's not going to like that...

Cleveland Indians General Manager Mark Shapiro said his decision to trade Cy Young Award winner Cliff Lee today -- in a six-player deal with the Philadelphia Phillies -- reflected an ownership mandate that the Indians would not be able to add payroll this winter. Shapiro said he then chose to refocus on the years beyond 2010, making it likely that the Indians will trade catcher Victor Martinez before Friday's deadline.

I say it's time to contract the Tribe and the Pirates from MLB and get us back down to 1 less team in each league. A shorter season and a post season that won't run until Christmas! Plus, what the hell...neither city will miss their team anyway. They've been run into the bowels of the earth by vagabond ownership!!!!

EXCUSE ME?!!!!

Sorry not all owners have the deep pockets of LA or NY! But to call for our "extraction" and to say the fans won't "miss their team"?! That's way out of line bro. Way out of line. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

PS. Check our history. We have a storied franchise that dates back WAY longer than your precious Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, California! It just so happens we're going through a rebuilding process right now. Careful of the stones your throwing. I hope to hell Arte doesn't sell the team and you ever have to go through a rebuild at the hands of a frugal owner! If you do, I hope someone out there will be willing to stomp all over you the way you just did to me in that IGNORANT post of yours.

EXCUSE ME?!!!!

Sorry not all owners have the deep pockets of LA or NY! But to call for our "extraction" and to say the fans won't "miss their team"?! That's way out of line bro. Way out of line. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Sorry...I said because ownership has robbed the franchise blind and no one is going to games and everyone is bitching. That's why. It would save alot of grief.

Sorry...I said because ownership has robbed the franchise blind and no one is going to games and everyone is bitching. That's why. It would save alot of grief.

We bitch BECAUSE we care. Let me know when we stop bitching. Then it'll be a problem. Until then, I'll continue to support my club and city, hoping and wishing for better days.

The Indians may have it bad, but my team is far, far worse.

The A's barely hold on to their best players for barely a season (see Holliday, Matt)- at least Sabathia was there for eight seasons.

You're GROSSLY mistaken.

CLEVELAND STILL ROCKS!!!!

We are survivors. We will overcome this bump in the road. In faith all things are possible!

PS. On my way to Great Lakes Brew Pub to suck down a few local brews! All my Cleveland buddy's are welcome to join me!

Any Tribe fans who survived those awful pre-Jacobs Field years can handle this.

You are right Sabres. When I grew up in the '80's, that's all I knew was "bad" baseball. You saw the Major League flicks. It was basically the same thing....

Brook Jacoby, Corey Snyder, Tom Candiotti, Julio Franco, Greg Swindell, Doug Jones. Just a few names of the boys I grew up idolizing in the 80's.

They weren't the studs the other markets had, but they were special.... why? Because they were OURS and we loved and supported the heck out of them. And I'll continue to support the next batch of young stars that we will have coming up.

Look, it's well documented that I'm not too happy with what has recently transpired with ownership taking most of the blame. But when it comes down to it, they are still our team and I still love this game!

We may be down, but in due time, we'll be back.

CLEVELAND STILL ROCKS!!!!

We are survivors. We will overcome this bump in the road. In faith all things are possible!

PS. On my way to Great Lakes Brew Pub to suck down a few local brews! All my Cleveland buddy's are welcome to join me!

Man...I wish I could. All of us Clevelanders should get together and watch a Browns game this year.

Brook Jacoby, Corey Snyder, Tom Candiotti, Julio Franco, Greg Swindell, Doug Jones. Just a few names of the 80's.

The good old days...don't forget (the now disgraced) Mel Hall, Joe Carter & Felix Fermin...I worshiped those guys when I was a kid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)