What is wrong with the Cleveland Indians?

Ummm, first of all, I said talented team not lineup (and I still think Sizemore, Hafner, Martinez, Peralta, et al is a very talented core). And I'm confused about your post. Are you saying that you didn't expect more from the Indians this year, or that they played over their heads last year? They were one win away from a World Championship last year (yes, they would have thrashed the Rockies just like the Red Sox did), and this year only Seattle has a worse record in the AL. That's a startling turnaround........injuries or not. Besides, I'm not saying that the Indians should let Wedgie go, I'm just saying he should at the very least be scrutinized. That's all.

My point was that Hafner and Martinez weren't right all season. Hafner for maybe the first two weeks of the season.
It's obvious now that they were playing hurt.

My point was that you take away the 3 and 4 hitters and No. 2 and 3 starters from a mid-market team and they aren't very talented anymore. That's what the Indians have had to face this season

Of course I'm disappointed.
I've set up my summer vacation to see the Indians-Tigers series the last week in July, and I've never looked less forward to a vacation with every passing day.
:eek:

But I just don't think it's Wedge's fault. That's all.

My point was that Hafner and Martinez weren't right all season. Hafner for maybe the first two weeks of the season.
It's obvious now that they were playing hurt.

My point was that you take away the 3 and 4 hitters and No. 2 and 3 starters from a mid-market team and they aren't very talented anymore. That's what the Indians have had to face this season

Of course I'm disappointed.
I've set up my summer vacation to see the Indians-Tigers series the last week in July, and I've never looked less forward to a vacation with every passing day.
:eek:

But I just don't think it's Wedge's fault. That's all.

I agree with everything you've said, including it not being Wedge's fault. In fact, I think the Tribe would be fools to do anything with Wedge (and i don't believe they will), because he is a great developer of young talent. It's just that when a team that was supposed to contend struggles, it usually comes back to the manager....whether he deserves it or not.

I know this season has been awful for yourself, HD MM, and all Tribe fans. But look on the bright side, your team will be back contending for a pennant next year with a little tweaking here and there. Unfortunately, the majority of struggling teams can't say that. Hang in there. :)

I just got a good look at the standing for the 1st time in since mid May....and damn, the are only 2 teams with LESS wins than the Indians...and are in DEAD LAST in the AL Central by a country mile!!

WOW!

Word of advice: stay true and don't sever your ties; you'll be rewarded.

I went through a similar situation:

In 2003, with my Sabres playing very bad hockey, swarming in red bankruptcy ink and almost gone for good, I came within an eyelash of severing my Sabres ties.

Thankfully, I didn't- Golisano bought the team, they traded for Briere from Phoenix, signed Drury from Calgary, and brought up Miller.

Are you kidding me?! I'm Mr. Cleveland! I would never "sever my ties" with any of my hometown teams, no matter how hard it gets. Trust me Sabres, this year is nothing compared to disappointments of years past. Us Clevelanders have a very thick skin for these types of things.

I was just venting on my previous post in losing another superstar in which I was a big fan of. A little dramatic, I know, but I am very passionate about my team and don't want our issues to go unanswered, that's all.

Indians Win! The losing streak ends at 10!!!!!!!!! :eek::D

The Tribe beats the best team in baseball, the Rays by a score of 13-2! Are you kidding me!?! :D

Indians Win! The losing streak ends at 10!!!!!!!!! :eek::D

The Tribe beats the best team in baseball, the Rays by a score of 13-2! Are you kidding me!?! :D

I saw that :up

Now if you are Detroit, you would win that game 13-2 and not be able to score the next game, just watch some Tigers baseball, it happens often ... UGH

Tigers are playing ok ball, far from good, still in the race, but hanging on for the time being...
The Indians, I turned thier game on last night and the Rays scored 2 runs right away and I continued to flip channels figuring it would be like the Tigers when I turn them on they give up runs.
Ironically, the other nigth when the Tigers gave up 2 quick runs, and fell behind 6-0 or 6-2 I think it was, I turned back later to see it was 6-6, I said WOW.

After the Indians fell behind 2-0 I flipped around and came back later to find the game over and they WON 13-2.

Lots of parrallels, and they are not all good :confused:

Jimbo

I realize it's WAY too early to make a fair assessment on the guy, but now that Matt Laporta has a few games in our AAA system, I thought I'd share his stats.....

Through 3 games and 11 AB, LaPorta has 5 H, giving him a BA of .455.

I really hope this guy proves to be the missing bat that we so longingly need.

I realize it's WAY too early to make a fair assessment on the guy, but now that Matt Laporta has a few games in our AAA system, I thought I'd share his stats.....

EVERY report that I've seen on this kid has been glowing. I think the Tribe has found themselves a stud. Of course, everybody had the same glowing reports on Andy Marte (Theo Epstein was ready to be lynched when he traded Marte for Coco Crisp)........ so you never know.

I thought you had your big bats when Martinez and Garko came on board, they are always killing pitching .... except for this year.
Blake and Hafner are still there, they are always big hitters in the lineup, I haven't kept up with them too much, whats up with them this year ?

Jimbo

Glad the Tribe's streak stopped.

Ironically, my Sabres also had a 10-game losing streak this past season, so you're not the only one who had to put up with something like that.

I thought you had your big bats when Martinez and Garko came on board, they are always killing pitching .... except for this year.
Blake and Hafner are still there, they are always big hitters in the lineup, I haven't kept up with them too much, whats up with them this year ?

Jimbo

Martinez has been on the DL with surgery to remove bone chips from his right elbow since the beginning of June.

Hafner has also been on the DL since the end of May with a right shoulder strain.

Garko has been a disappointment this year and doesn't see as many decent pitches as he did with the other big bats around him.

Casey Blake is steady as always. He leads the team in Batting Average, RBI's and is a good all around player. For some reason the fans and local media don't like the guy, but personally he's one of my favorites on the team. He's also a free agent next year and will probably seek a $8-$9 million/yr contract. Since I don't expect the Tribe to pony up the money, I can see him getting traded before the trading deadline.

Little irony:

The Indians' ended their 10-game drought with a double-digit win w/10+ runs.

My Sabres ended their 10-game skid last year with a double-digit goal amount in a 10-1 win.

Both streaks were snapped in routs.

Quite a coincidence...

Little irony:

My Sabres ended their 10-game skid last year with a double-digit goal amount in a 10-1 win.

Quite a coincidence...

Now if your skid was snapped while playing the best team in hockey, I'd be impressed...

Martinez has been on the DL with surgery to remove bone chips from his right elbow since the beginning of June.

Hafner has also been on the DL since the end of May with a right shoulder strain.

Garko has been a disappointment this year and doesn't see as many decent pitches as he did with the other big bats around him.

Casey Blake is steady as always. He leads the team in Batting Average, RBI's and is a good all around player. For some reason the fans and local media don't like the guy, but personally he's one of my favorites on the team. He's also a free agent next year and will probably seek a $8-$9 million/yr contract. Since I don't expect the Tribe to pony up the money, I can see him getting traded before the trading deadline.

I've always liked Sizemore and Blake ... Wish they were Tigers.
The Indians are not as bad as thier record shows, once the players get back and healthy (if that happens this season) they will be formitable , same can be said about the Tigers, many of thier prime players have been injured ....

Jimbo

Little irony:

Quite a coincidence...

This is much worse in a Hockey enviroment, they only play half the games.

Gadzooks!! Two nights in a row against the Rays. Who wudda thunk it.

Even better...the pitching now has 15 scoreless innings. :)

Certainly a case of a little too little too late...but it sure was a fun game to watch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts