What sat now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Ok, last night when I got home, put the receiver with all the proper inputs needed, the motor moved to 63W, (in my rec says "estralle du sol" sat.) any ways, I did a manual search with the transponder posted here, with both V and H just in case and nothing... then tried a blind search, and I noticed that the dish started to move East to weast , like looking for the sat, (short movements) and came with 4 or 5 tps and in result, I got a buch of channels (scrambled) and one that said "CONGRATS! YOU ARE IN THE 61.5 W :eek::eek: and you have a super dish , bla bla bla.. hehehe....

What did I do wrong? by the way, last night it was very cloudy and about to rain (actually it did rain after I desisted ) and it was also a bit windy.

There's a new spacecraft at 63 West (TELSTAR 14), which has a much stronger coverage of the U.S. Lower 48 than its predecessor. PBS fans might consider pointing there and tuning 11959-H for the South Carolina 10-channel ETV package. Works on standard non AC-3 MPEG-2 receivers....picture quality is a bit stretched compared to 125 West, but it is an alternative that should work on the simplest receiver.

Might be a new sat but i been viewing the 10-channel ETV package for years

@ the 63W location. started out on C-Band then moved to Ku band.

tracksat showes Aug 26 2008 under UCC

hxxp://www.tracksat.com/satellite55.html

lyngsat showes Aug 27 2004 under UD

hxxp://www.lyngsat.com/t14.html

Last edited:
Ok, last night when I got home, put the receiver with all the proper inputs needed, the motor moved to 63W, (in my rec says "estralle du sol" sat.) any ways, I did a manual search with the transponder posted here, with both V and H just in case and nothing... then tried a blind search, and I noticed that the dish started to move East to weast , like looking for the sat, (short movements) and came with 4 or 5 tps and in result, I got a buch of channels (scrambled) and one that said "CONGRATS! YOU ARE IN THE 61.5 W :eek::eek: and you have a super dish , bla bla bla.. hehehe....

What did I do wrong? by the way, last night it was very cloudy and about to rain (actually it did rain after I desisted ) and it was also a bit windy.

do you have the LNB LO set properly to 10750?

Sometimes those DBS sats will bleed over when doing a blind scan. I know my Pansat 1500 hits the 1st 6 DBS transponders if near them

You still can request a converter box coupon 1-888-225-5322
Walmart still sells them. I paid $10.00 with coupon.

Thank you but I sort of messed that up. I ordered two coupons back about February, they came in, I tossed them in my purse and there they stayed until they had expired by a few months and I remembered them. :(

Oh well.

I talked to my dad, my son and my neighbor and asked some really stupid questions, many of which I still do not understand and my son helped me pick out a tv card for the home theater pc. He said it originally came with a cable tv tuner card but his dad had long since removed and discarded it when he put the satellite card in it.

Anywho, so he and my neighbor advised me that it if I bought a converter it would work only on one tv at a time. If I got a pc tuner it would play on all the tv's in the house just like the satellite does. That sounded much better.

So I bought a tuner card from Amazon yesterday, it's a "Hauppauge 1196 WinTV-HVR-1250"..

My neighbor pointed out that there is a cable that runs from the house to the peak of the roof, apparently there used to be a satellite dish up there at one time. I never noticed it but the neighbor said he can cut the ends off and put new ones on it for me and that I should put an antenna up there. (um, I am not climbing up there...)

We didn't get to the antenna discussion yet. I have not idea what kind to get or even where to get one. I do not like radio shack, the kids there treat me like I'm stupid and lost and try to peddle cell phones and satellite junk to me. All they do is try to confuse me into buying stuff I don't need. And over priced stuff it seems. I strongly feel like they are trying to take advantage of me in radio shack. :mad:

All this new digital tv stuff is confusing. I don't understand all the weird channels or any of it. I looked at that tvfool website (omg, what is with that name?) and it shows there are like 30 channels around here. NO WAY... No there are not,

My folks have a 25 or 30 foot high gigantic antenna and a brand new digitial HD tv and they only get 4 or 5 channels.

Sigh... I just need a way to get the weather when hurricanes (frequent) and tornados (rare) are on the rampage. Why did they have to ruin something that has worked great for 50+ years? I smell a conspiracy.

edit: Oh, I see more questions. My zip is 77651, in reply to another question. My house faces true north, back yard faces true south.
And omg, are you kidding me? Those weird things Larry1 has are tv antennas? I have never seen anything like that before.
I guess I can't use any of these little satellite dishes for the new tv can I? They are both digital, no?
My neighbor didn't tell me what kind of antenna I need or where to get one. (He has direct tv I think).
I have a heavy line of thick trees on the west side of my house along the entire property line. :(

fline1.gif

Last edited:
Dish has a 14.99 a month plan that gives you 20 channels and the locals from your market (if they are carried)

If you go with locals only its 11.99 (5.99 for locals & 6.00 for a bs "no package" fee)

Thank
All this new digital tv stuff is confusing. I don't understand all the weird channels or any of it. I looked at that tvfool website (omg, what is with that name?) and it shows there are like 30 channels around here. NO WAY... No there are not,

edit: Oh, I see more questions. My zip is 77651, in reply to another question. My house faces true north, back yard faces true south.

My neighbor didn't tell me what kind of antenna I need or where to get one. (He has direct tv I think).
I have a heavy line of thick trees on the west side of my house along the entire property line. :(

fline1.gif

Try Antennaweb.org in enter in your Address I plugged in your zip and most of the TV towers are fairly close to you, you might be able to get away with a simple indoor antenna.... if any of your TV's have a removal antenna on it, try that first.

---------------------------------------------------

On another note, sounds like alot of people are adding a C-Band dish to replace the lost KU channels, need to get one in the future.

dee, I strongly suggest that you subscribe to Directv or dish networks for the most basic plan they have available for you. That will resolve your problem

two pages you should really look at:

www.directv.com

www.dishnetwork.com

good luck

Thank you, I have considered it but I honestly can not see paying for stuff I do not like and would not ever watch. I get those fliers in the mail all the time and I have a few friends that get it and I was never impressed enough with it to actually want it.

The free stuff is one thing. But pay tv seems to be a rip off. But that's my opinion. The very basic package is $25 a month and there's only about 5 channels listed in it that I would ever even watch, if at all.

And it does NOT have the channel that has one show I would watch, "What Not to Wear".. To get that channel you have to buy the more expensive package of channels. :mad:

It really irks me that I would be subsidizing channels that I do not like, would not watch (ever) and some that run content I find highly objectionable. That is just *wrong* to pay for something I object to. Why can you not just subscribe to the few channels that you do want to watch?

I also notice that some of their "special offers" lure you in with a low price but that's for a limited time which expires, they then hike the price way up on you even more. SCAM.. I smell a fast talking salesman wearing two tone shoes, a plaid suit, gaudy gold jewelry and aqua velva cologne in the building. You know?

My other problem is is that I'm currently self employed at the moment (IE looking for work) so I don't want to commit to long term, unnecessary expenses.

The free tv is one thing and I have the time on my hands to figure it out.
But the pay stuff? I just don't see it being worth it. :rolleyes:

fline1.gif

Try Antennaweb.org in enter in your Address I plugged in your zip and most of the TV towers are fairly close to you, you might be able to get away with a simple indoor antenna.... if any of your TV's have a removal antenna on it, try that first.

On another note, sounds like alot of people are adding a C-Band dish to replace the lost KU channels, need to get one in the future.

I have a metal roof on my house, everyone says that will totally block tv.
I could barely get the old tv when I had rabbit ears inside.
I have been told by my dad that I have no choice but to put up an outdoor antenna. Oh, and he is using his antenna they had up for a few years. He had to buy a brand new one after hurricane Rita destroyed it, it's like gianormous.
I can't afford or put up a monster thing like that. His is on a tower that's bolted to the side of their house. I need something smaller. I'm not trying to get tv from Houston or Lake Charles like they are. Or used to.

fline1.gif

My folks have a 25 or 30 foot high gigantic antenna and a brand new digitial HD tv and they only get 4 or 5 channels.

I have the coat hanger antenna I made mounted in my attic and I get 28 digital channels (some are from across the border).

I'm confused, it says there are vhf and uhf channels here. I thought that all went away? I thought everything was all digital now. What is digitial? Is it uhf or vhf or something different? God I hate this. It's so stupid. So confusing. Why didn't they just leave it alone????? Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! :rant:

edit: I'm frustrated now. I'm going to take a break and watch Adam 12 and Dragnet.

Over the air digital still uses VHF & UHF just like analog did. The issue is that the FCC told broadcasters that if they went with VHF for their digital signals the power isnt there as much. So lots of stations stayed on UHF. They have it setup so that the channels will "map" to what they are "widely known as"

Here in Minneapolis we had (analog)
2,4,5,9,11,17,23,29,41,45 (plus a bunch of low powered religious stations)

but on digital all are on UHF except for 9 & 11. Most broadcasters in the VHF high (7-13) decided to use their old analog spot for digital. The outdoor antenna I had all those years works fine

Let us help you...what area are you in? You mention SE Texas. Is that Corpus Christi area? Victoria? other? Let us help you :)

Over the air digital still uses VHF & UHF just like analog did. The issue is that the FCC told broadcasters that if they went with VHF for their digital signals the power isnt there as much. So lots of stations stayed on UHF. They have it setup so that the channels will "map" to what they are "widely known as"

Here in Minneapolis we had (analog)
2,4,5,9,11,17,23,29,41,45 (plus a bunch of low powered religious stations)

but on digital all are on UHF except for 9 & 11. Most broadcasters in the VHF high (7-13) decided to use their old analog spot for digital. The outdoor antenna I had all those years works fine

Let us help you...what area are you in? You mention SE Texas. Is that Corpus Christi area? Victoria? other? Let us help you :)

I'm in the Beaumont / Port Arthur part of Texas.

This new digital tv is extremely confusing. I don't understand it at all.
Thank Goddess that my poor grandmothers missed out on this joy. They passed on years ago. I had to go set their clocks for them.

I think it's a big conspiracy to make everyone buy new, expensive tv's and pay people to hook them up. I looked at a big screen last year at circut city before they went out of business and they wanted to charge me $100 to come hook it up for me then they wanted to charge me a few hundred dollars for an extended warranty. HA! I don't think so!

It's so annoying because I have a house full of tv's that I could use just fine a few months ago and there is still nothing wrong with them other than the government forced them into obsolescence against my will.

They love to confuse and control the little people. :mad:

Sorry, I shouldn't be so b****y...

fline1.gif

OK so now we know where you are, lets give some info :)

There are 6 channels in the market (number is the ANALOG...the one you're use to seeing)
4 Fox
6 CBS
12 ABC
22 My Network
34 TBN
64 Indpendent (KUIL The U)

But now that they moved to digital, the numbers changed...below is the DIGITAL channel
36 KUIL
40 Fox
21 CBS/CW
12 ABC/NBC
33 TBN

My Network (22) is still analog. When the conversion came about, stations classified as "low powered" did not have to upgrade right now. The TV's & converter boxes are smart enough to "map" the chanels back to what you are use to seeing (4, 6, etc)

So as you can see, you went from 3 VHF & 3 UHF stations to 1 VHF and 5 UHF channels. So if you have "rabbit ears" they may be for VHF Only which is why you're having issues.

Checking a website all of the stations are broadcasting NE of Beaumont in Orange County. Here is where I got the info
http://www.fcc.gov/dtv/markets/maps_current/Beaumont-Port_Arthur_TX.pdf

in simpler terms...the stations are broadcasting from the same spot as they were in analog.

If you have a digital TV or converter box, the best thing to do is get a GOOD UHF antenna. Channel 12 will come in fine even if you have a UHF only antenna. My antenna is UHF only and I get my locals that are on VHF (9 & 11) at very good signal.

Since you mention metal roof, you probably would want to go with a smaller outdoor antenna. I know you mentioned your "distaste" for Radio Shack but I'll put up a couple links to antennas just so you know the size that youre looking at
VHF/UHF antenna
UHF only

I dont know what other stores you have there that sell antennas but I know that the home improvement "big box" stores (lowes, home depot etc) will have them too. If you're in Beaumont or Pt Arthur proper you shouldn't need a huge antenna. The farther West/SW of there you are then you might need a little bigger antenna.

As for the stations you would get then
4.1 Fox
6.1 CBS
6.2 CW
12.1 ABC
12.2 NBC
22 My Network (analog)
34.1 TBN
34.2-34.5 a few more religious channels
64.1 KUIL

which would be all your local networks in digital clear picture with no huge antenna :)

OK so now we know where you are, lets give some info :)

There are 6 channels in the market (number is the ANALOG...the one you're use to seeing)
4 Fox
6 CBS
12 ABC
22 My Network
34 TBN
64 Indpendent (KUIL The U)

But now that they moved to digital, the numbers changed...below is the DIGITAL channel
36 KUIL
40 Fox
21 CBS/CW
12 ABC/NBC
33 TBN

My Network (22) is still analog. When the conversion came about, stations classified as "low powered" did not have to upgrade right now. The TV's & converter boxes are smart enough to "map" the chanels back to what you are use to seeing (4, 6, etc)

So as you can see, you went from 3 VHF & 3 UHF stations to 1 VHF and 5 UHF channels. So if you have "rabbit ears" they may be for VHF Only which is why you're having issues.

Checking a website all of the stations are broadcasting NE of Beaumont in Orange County. Here is where I got the info
http://www.fcc.gov/dtv/markets/maps_current/Beaumont-Port_Arthur_TX.pdf

in simpler terms...the stations are broadcasting from the same spot as they were in analog.

If you have a digital TV or converter box, the best thing to do is get a GOOD UHF antenna. Channel 12 will come in fine even if you have a UHF only antenna. My antenna is UHF only and I get my locals that are on VHF (9 & 11) at very good signal.

Since you mention metal roof, you probably would want to go with a smaller outdoor antenna. I know you mentioned your "distaste" for Radio Shack but I'll put up a couple links to antennas just so you know the size that youre looking at
VHF/UHF antenna
UHF only

I dont know what other stores you have there that sell antennas but I know that the home improvement "big box" stores (lowes, home depot etc) will have them too. If you're in Beaumont or Pt Arthur proper you shouldn't need a huge antenna. The farther West/SW of there you are then you might need a little bigger antenna.

As for the stations you would get then
4.1 Fox
6.1 CBS
6.2 CW
12.1 ABC
12.2 NBC
22 My Network (analog)
34.1 TBN
34.2-34.5 a few more religious channels
64.1 KUIL

which would be all your local networks in digital clear picture with no huge antenna :)

Hmm, ok, thank you, I will check around at like Home Depot and stuff. There's a few of them all in a row in Port Arthur in the same center. I guess they are trying to beat each other out of business. There's a Best Buy but it's waaay up in Beaumont, quite a long drive.

The rabbit ears I have are like the same as they were in 1955, just two wires that stick up in a V that you can raise and lower and twist around. I never watched local tv except when the weather gets nasty.

I have a weather alert radio but it goes off all the time even for bad weather way up north or way east in LA. and that's extremely annoying so I just turn the stupid thing off until I know something bad is happening. I could care less about weather 200 miles away in LA. Dumb thing.

I guess I need to get an all purpose antenna since I don't really know what is there or what I would want to watch. I just don't see myself watching local tv at all except for weather and only for weather. I have no interest in local events, news or especially cornball commercials. Local tv is so pathetic around here.
Fox is just not anything I'm interested in nor is abc, nbc or cbs. I don't know what cw is or my network. And I'm not into the religious stuff. So really almost nothing there I care to watch. And you couldn't pay me money to watch that guy Conan that replaced Leno. I still miss Johnny Carson. It's never been the same since he left. :(

OMG I'm so picky.. :rolleyes:

I just hate to put much money into something I'll rarely use. Sigh....

fline1.gif

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)