What type of format is your Mio's external harddrive?

primestar31

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Beta Omicron Delta III
When you format a drive with your Mio 4k to use for recordings, does anybody know what type of formatting it uses? Can a Windows pc also read it, if that drive is then plugged into a usb port on the pc afterwards?

On OpenATV my external drive is ext4. I converted it from ext3.
If it's reading the contents of it on a Windows machine, you'll need a program like Linux Reader.
If over your LAN while attached to the Mio, no problem. Push and pulling files is easy.
You can read it on Windows straight from the Network shortcut or \\OSMIO4K into it.
....at least here it works

On OpenATV my external drive is ext4. I converted it from ext3.
If it's reading the contents of it on a Windows machine, you'll need a program like Linux Reader.
If over your LAN while attached to the Mio, no problem. Push and pulling files is easy.
You can read it on Windows straight from the Network shortcut or \\OSMIO4K into it.
....at least here it works
Yep, I can read it on a network shortcut just fine from my pc. I was thinking about doing a drive clone, and my pc can't read the drive directly. So, I figured it's likely a linux format.

Yep, I can read it on a network shortcut just fine from my pc. I was thinking about doing a drive clone, and my pc can't read the drive directly. So, I figured it's likely a linux format.
Yeah. I did a quick search of using Acronis (my favorite cloning tool) to do that.
Easiest thing would be to probably just pull the files on the drive to your pc and if you needed to attach another drive to the receiver just prep it, format it and push the files back over your LAN.
With a linux PC it would be a breeze.

Hey guys, don't forget that you can boot up several versions of Linux with a LIVE DVD and do pretty much what you want without installing it. Shut down, take the DVD out of the drive then boot right back to Windowz whatever. And yes, from what I've found most Linux versions use EXT4 now.

Me, I multiboot on several desktop computers with Linux Mint Mate 19.3 x64 along with various versions of Windowz from XP Pro x32 to Winders 10 Pro x64. One box I have has 6 hard drives in it and I choose the boot drive on all of them in BIOS at boot up.

Just saying...............

Reactions: Jim S.
When you format a drive with your Mio 4k to use for recordings, does anybody know what type of formatting it uses? Can a Windows pc also read it, if that drive is then plugged into a usb port on the pc afterwards?
You have to format to fat32 for both linux and windows to read it. ext3 or 4 for linux only. ntfs for windows but linux should be able to read ntfs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)