What we are hearing...

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Why would you expect an $ 800 HD DVR for free.

By the end of the month, D* will have more HD available than E* so I am not worried, of course I was not worried before either....

Jimbo

Why? In my case its because as a loyal subscriber for 8 years I expected to get a little help instead of paying $300 for it like they wanted me to a year ago. They finally went down to $79 for it at the retention level, but by then it was too late as I had gone to Comcrap. The only reason I came back now was that my bill was about to go up on the crap and D* FINALLY agreed to give me one for free.

I just was NOT going to pay that damn much for something I am still paying a rental fee for while I have it. Its like leasing a car, but being expected to put $15,000 up front for it. If I am going to pay that much up front, I am NOT going to lease it.

Why? In my case its because as a loyal subscriber for 8 years I expected to get a little help instead of paying $300 for it like they wanted me to a year ago. They finally went down to $79 for it at the retention level, but by then it was too late as I had gone to Comcrap. The only reason I came back now was that my bill was about to go up on the crap and D* FINALLY agreed to give me one for free.

I just was NOT going to pay that damn much for something I am still paying a rental fee for while I have it. Its like leasing a car, but being expected to put $15,000 up front for it. If I am going to pay that much up front, I am NOT going to lease it.

You have to pay for it one way or another. You are really paying for the use of something (it can't be ported over to Dish, you know), not for its ownership. Why would you want to own a receiver that you can only use with one programming source?

You can pay nothing up front (still requires a contract, of course) and pay more each month, or pay a little up front and not pay ANYTHING each month. (The "rent" is exactly what you used to pay to "mirror" when you owned your own hardware.)

Don't get your panties all in a bunch over this. Think it through before you vent.

(The car lease analogy is more apt than you might think. Many, if not most car leases require a "down payment" although they call it a "cap reduction payment.):rolleyes:

Wow, that sounds just about like my experience with E* and why I went to cable...then wound up with D* and their MLB package and their soon to come 100 channels of HD. ;)

Meanwhile, back to the topic.

Why not try and let us know when you get to it.
Thanks

The above messge was in reponse to my saying there was probably no BBC issue if the receive passed the 480/481 test and showed good signal. I posted that I would change BBCs out when I got home, although I did not think it would help me with 498.

As it turned out, I was getting 498, 9300, and 9301 on all receivers when I got home. BBCs were not the issue. Channels are coming and going as D* tweaks things.

Just an update.

The above messge was in reponse to my saying there was probably no BBC issue if the receive passed the 480/481 test and showed good signal. I posted that I would change BBCs out when I got home, although I did not think it would help me with 498.

As it turned out, I was getting 498, 9300, and 9301 on all receivers when I got home. BBCs were not the issue. Channels are coming and going as D* tweaks things.

Just an update.

I agree :up

I feel that maybe not all will be getting all the same channels at this point and that MAY be normal, remember they are testing, not finished, if it's that way AFTER they are up, thats different.

Jimbo

Since this thread is titled "What we are hearing," what are we hearing?

I went back a couple of pages and didn't see any updates, just discussion about gas prices and getting stuff for free... is it still looking like a go for tomorrow (and yes, I know it's still just a rumor)?

Can anyone comment on how NFL Network HD has looked? Was any of the programming actual HD? This is my most anticipated channel :)

yeah, i actually caught nfl replay in hd this morning and the pq was awesome. still waiting for food network to come through the rotation!

Amen, to u brother. I hate the lease car reference it's ridiculous. If the cable companies can provide the HD or Standard DVR boxes for free, why can't satellite companies, none of the cable companies in my area have contracts, none charge more than $25 for at home service call ($70 for DTV, unless u have P- plan). They do charge a STB fee but so does DTV and half the TV's in house wouldn't require a box just plug the cable directly into the TV and standard channels will do. Why is DTV spending $800 for a HD box? What are the CC paying and why can they give them out for free, how are they making their money back? I'm sure there is under lying cost that are in your bill for the cable company to pay for the boxes but most of those costs are in DTV bill as well, and remember no lock in contracts. Yeah, it's true you pay a little bit more for cable but considering that DTV has had 2 price hikes in the past year and half and is considering raising it again for all the new HD channels that the cable company doesn’t charge extra for, what's the difference? Hell they are just starting to get DOD online and the cable companies have had it for years already. And the argument that hardware is better than the cable companies is bogus the differences are minuet and the common customer wouldn’t know the difference.

But don't listen to me I'm disgruntle I've been a loyal DTV customer for over 8 years, who has forgiven all there digressions before and is just plain old piss off about one more misnomer, that was technically a rumor in the first place so I have only myself to blame for believing it. Keep in mind these are all questions that go through my head every time I get disappointed by these rumors and really inaccurate press releases. They said (DTV) HD channels would be up by the end of the month and it isn’t the end of the month yet, so my frustration and everyone else with DTV is technically unfounded at least until the end of the month. After that you can release the dogs.

This thread is becoming worthless with off topic postings

The tread was worthless from the get go it's title is "What we are hearing..." which is basically saying what rumor are we hearing, which is well documented and by definition is "worthless" especially when it comes to Directv.

Amen

What are the CC paying and why can they give them out for free, how are they making their money back? I'm sure there is under lying cost that are in your bill for the cable company to pay for the boxes but most of those costs are in DTV bill as well, and remember no lock in contracts.

Well, I can definitely tell you how the CC's are able to give them out for free. Its because they nickel and dime your ass every single step of the way. I went in to get the cable tv off my account the other day, they want $38 just to downgrade my service!!!! I mean, what the hell is up with that? They want that much just to have a guy supposedly come out and put a "trap" on my line and push a few buttons on the computer. That isn't the only case where they charge you outrageous fees, but is merely an example. The high prices they charge for everything else also helps them recover the costs associated with the hd dvr's.

Just an update.

I am now hearing we are 100% go for a launch tomorrow. I don't however had a time.

Get those remote controls ready folks. It's almost time!

Thats great news! Is there any speculation on what channels will launch tomorrow? I would assume A&E, NGC, and Discovery since those have already been broadcasting on 9300 and 9301.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)