What will HD-DVD have to counter Pirates of the Caribbeans(Blu-ray)

Knowing New Line stance on the format war LOTR will come out on Blu-Ray first then on hd-dvd "At a date to be determined."

~Matt Lasorsa, New Line EVP of Marketing.

SInce LOTR is not in theaters..... NOT. That policy only applies to movies still in theaters in Europe. Universal couldn;t care less, my friend sent me Mr. Bean's Holiday over a month ago.

S~

This is the same thing Vurbano says about every title that is released only on BluRay -- he is beggining to sound like a broken record. And since LOTR will be released on both formats the usual 2 to 1 ratio with BD in the lead will probably hold true. As for 2007 -- this is BluRay year. They hold the sales numbers on most discs sold and that will not change. Add to it the nice bump the PS3 sales have had recently and BD players in the home is definately putting distance between BD and HD-DVD. If HD-DVD did not have that great $98 sale the standalone ration might have gotten close to 50% -- still might with the prices dropping on BD players. I saw the Samsung 1400 for $297 Friday at Circuit City! Yes, that price margin on the standalones is coming down quickly. BD is now getting serious about pricing their product against Toshiba. I don't see how Toshiba can stay in the game with multiple manufacturers gunning for them. It is getting real interesting real quick!

I don't really care which format LOTR comes out in as long as it comes. This is the biggest movie trilogy of my generation since Star Wars. BTW I just got the LG super Multi blue drive from Fry's yesterday (black friday special) and i'm armed with the almighty Slysoft for my HTPC (suck it bi**hes) WOOT!!!!!!!! To emphasize Diogen and steal his thunder - "Whoose the man now JOE"

Last edited:
I snoozed or would have caught POTC on SciFiHD tonight... already have POTCDMC archived on HDD... Wild Hogs, Delta Farce and other Blu exclusives on archive... no need to go purple yet...(not saying I won't though ;))I have 3 of the 4 cutting edge HD technologies not counting cable so...

All that talk about LOTR caused me to pull out the extended edition discs.... watching Fellowship now. This movie SCREAMS for HD.

"Today is my one hundred and eleventh birthday!

I don't know half of you as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you as much as you deserve." :D :D

Yes, cannot wait for Fellowship of the rings and lotr trilogy to come out on an hd format.

I snoozed or would have caught POTC on SciFiHD tonight... already have POTCDMC archived on HDD... Wild Hogs, Delta Farce and other Blu exclusives on archive... no need to go purple yet...(not saying I won't though ;))I have 3 of the 4 cutting edge HD technologies not counting cable so...

Personally, I wouldn't be happy with anything broadcast vs. BD or HD-DVD, but if it makes you happy....

/raise. I've fallen asleep everytime i've sat down to watch POC1 & 2... and LOTR I respect as a great franchise that was well done, but it just isn't for me.... too long. Split it into 6 enjoyable shorter movies and I'd eat it up. Imagine if they did all the Harry Potter books as a trilogy instead of the half dozen or whatever of them they're making.

Thanks for the good laugh.

LOTR was actually three parts of one book totalling about 1000 pages. HP is a seven book series coming in at over 4000 pages. Yes, LOTR has a little more content per page, but still... If you wanted to give HP treatment similar to what LOTR got at the theaters, it would be 12 movies, not 3.

As far as the quality of the movies, I'd rank it like this:

1. LOTR
2. HP
3. POTC (could actually be more like #10)

Having read both, I find LOTR much more enjoyable as a movie, while the opposite is true of HP.

I agree, I was only loosely basing my metaphor in reality but I am sure many would agree with my point, I feel like I've watched an entire movie about halfway through one of the LOTR movies. Each movie feels like watching a miniseries in one sitting, at least to me.

I agree, I was only loosely basing my metaphor in reality but I am sure many would agree with my point, I feel like I've watched an entire movie about halfway through one of the LOTR movies. Each movie feels like watching a miniseries in one sitting, at least to me.

They are definitely long, that's for sure... Get the extended editions - they give you more good content but are broken up into two discs for each movie, so it kind of feels like six movies. ;)

LOTR looks so good :) I wonder how much better it would look in HD format!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)