What wiring changes will be required for Hopper 3

I have the original Hopper at my house with 2 Joeys.

This spring/summer, we will be building a new house and will be doing the wiring ourselves. So if I am looking at this correctly, when I run the RG6 coax... I only need to make ONE run to the dish? In my current setup I have TWO runs to the dish.

So ONE run will do for this new setup?
Yes, just one coax run from the dish with a new DPH LNB to a solo hub as illustrated.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

This spring/summer, we will be building a new house and will be doing the wiring ourselves. So if I am looking at this correctly, when I run the RG6 coax... I only need to make ONE run to the dish? In my current setup I have TWO runs to the dish.

Fair warning about doing the wiring yourself. Dish has only a handful of approved cable brands. The cable running from the hub from to the hopper must be rated at 3000mhz and the line to the lnb from the hub needs the same requirements plus a messenger for bonding to ground.
The installing tech may give you a hard time using the existing cable if it's not on the companies approved parts list.

Last edited:

You never know when you'll need another wire so it's always best to run at least 2 wires to the dish.

Yes. How are you running the cable though. If I were you I would still run two just in case the line goes bad.

From my understanding all current joeys will support 4K resolution when connected to the hopper 3.
The earlier Joeys lack hardware that can:
  • render UHD resolutions
  • provide HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 support.
  • decode h.265
You can't emulate those in software. The 4K Joey reportedly uses a BCM7448 to be used in conjunction with the Hopper 3's BCM7445.

I also wonder if MoCA 2.0 support is available on the older Joeys.

Those who require 118.7W for internationals on the WA or locals from 77W on the EA must use wing dishes.
Not a particularly happy situation to need a 500+ as a wing dish what with it being just a pinch larger (3.28 square inches) than a Slimline.

I'm curious about this as well ...

What real benefit is it for the H3 to have MoCA 2.0 capability if the Joey clients can only use MoCA 1.1?

Perhaps the 4K Joeys will have MoCA 2.0 so multiple ones in an install can be easily supported by the H3?

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

Fair warning about doing the wiring yourself. Dish has only a handful of approved cable brands. The cable running from the hub from to the hopper must be rated at 3000mhz and the line to the lnb from the hub needs the same requirements plus a messenger for bonding to ground.
The installing tech may give you a hard time using the existing cable if it's not on the companies approved parts list.
I was planning to use 1000ft spool of 3000mhz from Amazon to wire to the Dish and the rest of the house.

You can find what I am looking at here. Is this good enough?
Amazon product ASIN B007U9EQI6
Edit: Geez, that link turned in to an ad. Not what I meant to do.

I was planning to use 1000ft spool of 3000mhz from Amazon to wire to the Dish and the rest of the house.

That should do it. Don't worry about 'the ad.' That's how it works here and we are used to it.

Nothing is showing for me on that Amazon link. Do you have the description? I'll try and post what cables are approved by Dish in a few.

My personal suggestion would be to pre wire any and all possible Joey locations and leave chases for the drop from the dish and to the hopper location. Being familiar with the installation practices, it's getting harder for techs to get away with using unapproved cable and if it's a sub contractor they risk losing the pay for that job if it gets inspected

Nothing is showing for me on that Amazon link. Do you have the description? I'll try and post what cables are approved by Dish in a few.

My personal suggestion would be to pre wire any and all possible Joey locations and leave chases for the drop from the dish and to the hopper location. Being familiar with the installation practices, it's getting harder for techs to get away with using unapproved cable and if it's a sub contractor they risk losing the pay for that job if it gets inspected
Here is the link as text code instead so it does not turn in to an ad.

Code:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007U9EQI6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=EU3QB67153O4&coliid=I1PXSD0H7VTGRA

The earlier Joeys lack hardware that can:
  • render UHD resolutions
  • provide HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 support.
  • decode h.265
You can't emulate those in software. The 4K Joey reportedly uses a BCM7448 to be used in conjunction with the Hopper 3's BCM7445.

The 4K Joey will work with the HWS as well and doesn't need the H3's BCM7445. More disinformation.

Last edited:
I have the original Hopper at my house with 2 Joeys. This spring/summer, we will be building a new house and will be doing the wiring ourselves. So if I am looking at this correctly, when I run the RG6 coax... I only need to make ONE run to the dish? In my current setup I have TWO runs to the dish.

Yep. Ain't it beautiful. (Just make sure it's a 1000.2 w/DPH LNBF.)

What's the RAM & FLASH memory size in Hopper3? 2 GB & 64 MB like Hopper 2?

And there is no eSATA port, right?

So what happens if you try to use existing wiring and it isn't rated at 3000mhz? My house is fairly new (built in 2006), but there is a bonus room above the living room so all the lines running to where the hopper would be are concealed. Everything terminates in a wiring panel in the utility room, and there is no feasible way to re-run the required cabling unless I added massive additional distances to them and created a major eyesore on the outside of the house. Whoever built this house didn't think that through....

I was thinking of switching from DirecTV to Dish for the Hopper 3, but looks like that is out. The lines running from the existing DirecTV Dish do appear to be higher grade, even though none of it is marked aside from being RG6.

So what happens if you try to use existing wiring and it isn't rated at 3000mhz? My house is fairly new (built in 2006), but there is a bonus room above the living room so all the lines running to where the hopper would be are concealed. Everything terminates in a wiring panel in the utility room, and there is no feasible way to re-run the required cabling unless I added massive additional distances to them and created a major eyesore on the outside of the house. Whoever built this house didn't think that through....

I was thinking of switching from DirecTV to Dish for the Hopper 3, but looks like that is out. The lines running from the existing DirecTV Dish do appear to be higher grade, even though none of it is marked aside from being RG6.
If it is the line ran to the hopper it should be rated for 3000mhz or 3ghz. If it is not rated you can possibly run into issues since the hopper uses the bandwidth up to 3ghz.

I installed the cable that goes to my Hopper in 1987. The Hopper has worked just fine on that cable for almost 4 years. You might be just fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)